The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Redo the metal panels?
No 42 84.00%
Yes 8 16.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #26
72 tigger

Re: Poll. Metal siding is off-center. Redo or go with it?

I think it looks ok - I don’t think it’ll bother you after you’re done, but you could mention it to the contractor and see what he says
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:35 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59bones View Post
Sorry but I gotta chime in cuz I'm a picky architect.

I would not be happy with that look. It's not just at the peak but also the window, the light and door jambs. That would drive me nuts. How much more effort or materials (1 sheet of metal?) would it have taken to get that all centered?

On the back 40; OK, if I can see it from my castle, no way.
I can explain what more it would take to get that wall centered. I'm sure it wasn't saving material that caused this. Not about an extra piece of metal. Most contractors will just pick up a fresh sheet and start off with that, and that is what happened here. Many don't have the where-with-all to think to plan the wall out. It's so simple, just find center and measure back in the increments of the materials. In this case, 9", and start with whatever it comes out to at the end. In this case that would mean measuring all the way out to the corners of the shed roof extensions.

I don't think I would have it changed, but I would certainly point it out and voice my disappointment. While taking the step to center the wall is a mark of better craftsmanship, what is shown here is considered somewhat acceptable. If there are other areas where the contractor came up short, you have one more thing to add to the list, and possibly readjust the final cost. You can use that you saved the contractor money by not having the wall redone.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #28
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Thanks for the input and good words guys. I appreciate it. I’ll have a chat with the contractor this week and see what shakes out. Structurally I know it’s fine and the contractor has an excellent reputation but it’s not an inexpensive build (stick frame insulated heated w finished interior). I imagine the screw holes in the Tyvek at a minimum would have to be taped over or the Tyvek redone if the metal were replaced. I’ve laid enough tile floors to know you should plan out a pattern in advance and this seems like a an amateur mistake but the carpenters are seasoned.

Jim - no plans yet but that dually would fit very nicely

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:09 AM   #29
Mid-Pack

That`s a good choice. It should be fixed, it`s noticeable. You paid good money for a professional job and it should be correct. It`s the front and every time you approach it, you`ll notice it.
Mid-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:41 AM   #30
KW5413

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
The metal panels on the front of my new garage are off-center with the peak at midline. Should I use as is or ask the contractor to redo? If it were the back wall I wouldn't care.
Well...here's my take. DM calls me up and invites me over to look at his new metal building and chase a couple of beers. I pull up in my '69 and 1st impression is...Daaamn! I wonder if DM will let me park a couple of muscle cars in there?

DM walks over with a couple beers in hand which we suck up while admiring his new monument to ''The Man Club''. I feel something ain't right but, can't quite nail down what it is. "Get us some more beer DM and show me the inside of this magnificent Man Palace.''

A few more beers, and a couple of whiskey shots later, we find ourselves standing outside staring down the building. Then there it is. The window looks off center. Everything goes to Hell in a hand basket after that as we point out EVERYTHING that just ain't right.

We finish off the whiskey and DM refuses to let me drive home since I am a bit off center myowndamnself and lets me sleep it off in his new barn.

OK, sorry, I like stories. I would be pissed at the contractor for lack of attention to detail. All the while knowing that there very likely is no recourse, as there is likely nothing in the contract that would address this type of screwup / laziness and just piss-poor planning.

Sadly, in today's world, DM would be admonished for not specifying that the siding look centered, not noticing it while the siding was off, while in process, and selecting this contractor in the first place. It's all DM's fault.

You don't have to be OCD to see it every time you look at it. You certainly have every right to call out the contractor and see if you can get any type of relief. My guess...it will be little, or nothing. Especially if he had been paid.

It is a great looking building and will surely serve you well. It's just a crying shame that people are losing pride in their work. At most, they would have used an extra panel, or two, and few minutes of proper planning.

Good luck and enjoy an otherwise awesome building. Your Man Club Card is secure.

Last edited by KW5413; 08-08-2022 at 11:41 AM.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, I'd definitely call it out and see what he says before going into any other scenario.

If it gets redone, not all material will be wasted. Other than calculating, to assure it's centered it can be started in the center and run in either direction.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-09-2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:52 PM   #32
joedoh

has anyone done what i did? gone to google image search and typed in "pole barn" and looked at the images? because only about 1 in 50 has the siding centered and that one may have just been how it worked out. there is even one very similar to deadheads with the window and everything, and its off the same amount.

i realize pole barns are a significant investment these days and I am in no way minimizing what everyone FEELS the building process should be, I see a lot of "he should have thought about it" comments, but its not a custom house build, its a pole barn and i am thinking you might have to prepare yourself for the contractor saying uhhh, no thats normal and charging you to fix it if you insist.

just a counter point, nothing to get in a twist about.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:10 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Proper carpentry applies to all work, not just custom homes or higher dollar work. There is right and there is wrong. A carpenter should consider how the pattern in the material will work out no matter how much he is being paid. That is what makes him a carpenter, knowing to use such discretion, not just grab the first piece and slap it up. It's called laying out. Looking around at what others do is a good way to lower your standards.

Tim

Old 08-09-2022, 08:37 AM   #34
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
has anyone done what i did? gone to google image search and typed in "pole barn" and looked at the images? because only about 1 in 50 has the siding centered and that one may have just been how it worked out. there is even one very similar to deadheads with the window and everything, and its off the same amount.

i realize pole barns are a significant investment these days and I am in no way minimizing what everyone FEELS the building process should be, I see a lot of "he should have thought about it" comments, but its not a custom house build, its a pole barn and i am thinking you might have to prepare yourself for the contractor saying uhhh, no thats normal and charging you to fix it if you insist.

just a counter point, nothing to get in a twist about.
To clarify, my garage project is not a pole barn and is being constructed at a cost in excess of $150/sq ft (slab is 40'x42').

I didn't see a single metal sided building on my drive to/from Duluth, MN (2.5hrs one way) this weekend where the siding was off-set and I saw a lot of buildings.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 08-09-2022, 10:49 AM   #35
joedoh

i couldnt see any stem walls in your picture and it looked like what they do here, posts in dirt and pour around the posts with "slump" slab edges, so if its a 250k+ building you should absolutely have recourse on the siding being centered.

edit: look at the brochure for your building. I just looked at the cleary steel brochure I got this feb for the 40x60 metal framed building i am looking to build and some of them are lined up, some are not. just interested to know what your brochure shows.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 08-09-2022 at 04:40 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #36
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Guys thanks again for all the input.

I'm told the location of the metal was the least worst option and was positioned as such with a purpose related to where ridges fall relative to the corners and needs of the trim. I'm at peace with it. The backside siding is aligned the same as the front for the same reasons.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:18 PM   #37
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

If the quality of the work around the rest of the building looks good there may be a reason for it as you mentioned. If you see other things that don't look right then it is a different story. To me it is a cosmetic thing that most people will never notice and doesn't affect anything structurally.
I say congrats on a nice building!
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:12 PM   #38
Dead Parrot

It looks like that if you center the ridge line, other things will still be a bit off. If this was a custom design plan, go back to the designer and question that person(s). Possible the contractor was just following the standard process for such plans.

Ignoring the siding issue, looks like a cool design.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #39
davischevy

We met with the siding contractor today about our project. The issue of symmetry of the verticle lines came up.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:52 AM   #40
Boog
laying low

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:31 AM   #41
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Well, my building was designed in Arkansas so that’s probably a good idea

Old 08-13-2022, 10:32 PM   #42
davischevy

Quote:
Don't shoot the messenger.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #43
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
"Cain't see it from Arkansas"

Tim

Old 08-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #44
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

True