The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
Mulk

Re: Mulk's 8-Lugger

Alright.... It's been a while since I posted any updates, I have gotten a few things done, but mainly I've just been enjoying driving the beast around again.

However, I was able to get over a serious hurdle that has been racking my brain for a while. If you've been keeping-up, you know I suicided the third door, and moved the handle along with it. Due to the proper placement of the handle so it looked factory and matched the passenger door location, I wasn't able to simply make the push-button work. Not to mention the window and track would interfere anyway. So I just went the easy route and installed a seleniod to pop the door (sometimes).... That was the hurdle

My mind started working and I wasn't going to give-up....

I took the canteleaver part, that used to connect the lock button rods, and made a few modifications. I welded a tab for the push-button to activate (welded the washer on the face of it to help keep the rod on the button centered.) This piece mounts though one of the holes that the factory hinges used to utilize.

You can see here the tab and washer in place.

I then had to get creative with the rod, to get it to reach from the canteleaver, and clear the window track. Just a few, not so simple, bends added to the same rod that used to lock the door (use as many factory parts as possible)

I then drilled some small holes in both ends, so I could run a cotter-pin through, to keep everything in place. This is where the rod connects into the bear-claw actuator, finishing the link. I had to ct a hole to be able to access this mess, but it's covered by the door panel

So now I can open the door from the outside, using the handle, and the seleniod has been added to the "left-over" box. Oh, and yes, the inside handle and lock button function properly too

If I can get a video uploaded I'll post it.

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=403690
Mulk is offline   Reply With Quote