The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
charx2

Wishbone setup help!?!???

I am really wanting to get this setup...http://*******************/4-link-kit...t-wishbone-kit
Problem is, it says I need to measure and figure out my lengths but I'm not sure about what lengths I need. Can someone help me figure out what I'm measuring for? I do know I need to measure for my lower lengths and I think the spread, I'm not to sure though? It's going on a 67 C10 with a 12 bolt, bagged on the trailing arms. I'm going to step notch it and I want to put this wishbone on while I'm notching it but a little worried about not getting the correct sizes. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? I've done some searching here but nothing really tells me any measurments or even how to measure for them. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
charx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Wishbone setup help!?!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by charx2 View Post
I am really wanting to get this setup...http://*******************/4-link-kit...t-wishbone-kit
Problem is, it says I need to measure and figure out my lengths but I'm not sure about what lengths I need. Can someone help me figure out what I'm measuring for? I do know I need to measure for my lower lengths and I think the spread, I'm not to sure though? It's going on a 67 C10 with a 12 bolt, bagged on the trailing arms. I'm going to step notch it and I want to put this wishbone on while I'm notching it but a little worried about not getting the correct sizes. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? I've done some searching here but nothing really tells me any measurments or even how to measure for them. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
A pivoting wishbone w/solid mount truck-arms would bind. If you're trying to keep the rear end centered w/truck arms & don't want to use the simple, cheap, & effective Panhard bar, look into a Watts set-up. If you're trying to do something else..... enlighten us.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-28-2011 at 07:09 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
charx2

I do have a pan hard bar but how is it supposed to keep the rear end centered when i fill and dump the bags? I was under the impression that the only way to fix that is a wishbone or watts link. Keeping my axle centered is one of my main reason for something, be it a watts or wishbone or whatever. I'm not all that knowledgeable about this stuff but I'm learning lol. I would also like something to improve the ride and possibly make it bite ablittle better. I guess a 4 link is good for that? Would a 4 llink be a cure all maybe? I'm trying to learn this stuff to figure out what I need. Thanks again for your help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
FnLow69

Its not for say keeping it centered, its for lateral movement. The longer the panhard the less side shift if has through the air bags travel. A triangulated four link would keep the rear end centered better if properly setup i would say...

The ride has more to do with the position of bags than the link setup.
FnLow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnLow69 View Post
Its not for say keeping it centered, its for lateral movement. The longer the panhard the less side shift if has through the air bags travel. A triangulated four link would keep the rear end centered better if properly setup i would say...
Agreed. The longer the Panhard bar is, the better it works. A short bar will allow more side shift as the suspension cycles. The question is how much 'shift' is too much for a particular application. That answer establishes whether a Panhard bar is acceptable or if something different would work better.

A long Panhard bar (~36") will allow very minimal (not noticeable) shift as the suspension cycles through standard travel for most road conditions. So <3" up plus <3" down = 6" total suspension travel when driving. Where it becomes an issue is @ full dump w/air bags (depending on the total amount of lift for ride height). If there's a huge amount of lift from full dump to ride height, there will possibly be .250-.500" shift of the rear end in relation to the frame. We need more info of your set-up to know if a Watts set-up would be better.

The factory truck arm 2-link arrangement is simple, rides great (especially on air), & can plant the tires as is. There's several trucks hitting 1.60 60' times @ the track which is a fairly good number given the weight of these trucks. Is a triangulated 4-link better? Define better.

Quote:
The ride has more to do with the position of bags than the link setup
I feel ride quality is dependent on multiple items: bag placement/position, bag type, & bar length (longer bars generally offering better ride quality).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
charx2

Well, right now I have an adjustable panhard I got from CPP some time ago. I still have a lot of shift when dumping and filling. It's mounted in the stock location but I was planning on getting a different mount kit, just hope my bar is long enough. Here is what I'm trying to get out of this rear setup. I want to fill and dump without having to worry about it being off centered. I also want to get my bags off of the trailing arms and possible mount them somewhere off the step notch. That should create a better ride correct? I have seen kits that you can get the steps with where they have the bag brakets.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Well, right now I have an adjustable panhard I got from CPP some time ago. I still have a lot of shift when dumping and filling. It's mounted in the stock location but I was planning on getting a different mount kit, just hope my bar is long enough. Here is what I'm trying to get out of this rear setup. I want to fill and dump without having to worry about it being off centered. I also want to get my bags off of the trailing arms and possible mount them somewhere off the step notch. That should create a better ride correct? I have seen kits that you can get the steps with where they have the bag brakets.
A Panhard bar in the factory location (using factory mounts @ each end) is definitely not long enough to prevent a significant shift from dump to ride height. You need a bar that runs from the driver side frame mount & reaches the pass side of the rear end. It should also be set as close to level as possible @ ride height.

As mentioned, the factory placement of the springs is pretty darn good already for ride quality.... not sure you can improve it much (if any). The only reason to relocate the bags is trying to get lower. What type of bag you're currently using dictates the possible mounting alternatives. That, or you'll need to consider using different bags as well. Whats wrong w/the current ride quality that makes you think the bags need to be relocated?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-01-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
royo

Are you going to use the whole SD rear wishbone kit

Last edited by royo; 03-01-2011 at 06:34 PM.
royo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
charx2

I just want something that will really stop the rear shift and possibly help with the ride when I'm going fast. If a longer, relocated panhard will do that then I'm game. I'm super confused now though. What benefit would a watts or wishbone or 4 link give me?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
charx2

Oh yeah, I might in the future try to Lay frame. Probably won't be for a few years though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #11
FnLow69

The benefit of a 4link when laying frame would be that you dont have to notch for the trailing arms as the will contact the frame first in most cases. With a longer relocated panhard with the trailing of will handle just fine. Remember Nascar basically uses a truck arm suspension with a panhard bar and they run 200 mph so.....
Old 03-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #12
charx2

Hmmmm....I'm going to have to remove my pan hard and see how long it will extend. Around 36" should be fine right? Thanks guys, you guys just made me able to shift my tax money into something else I need for this truck. There is plenty too so everything helps. You guys rock!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #13
FnLow69

Yes, Shoot for around 36" long...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
kev2809
low n' slo

i think its called deluxe track bar, from cpp. it comes with the double adj. bar, bracket that bolts on the trailing arm, and the small spacer that goes on the driver side ta.
Posted via Mobile Device

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
charx2

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm going to order them pretty soon. Might check the market first to see if anyone has any specials. Have a good one!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm going to order them pretty soon. Might check the market first to see if anyone has any specials. Have a good one!
Also check w/Rob @ No Limit..... another supporting vendor. He has a really nice set-up as well. You can check it out in one of their threads (NoLimit '72 C-10 or How to Make it Handle).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-02-2011 at 01:56 PM.