The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
JK88

Full manual conversion to power

I have an '88 Scottsdale 1500 that I'm building into a 454SS clone truck. I went to the junkyard today and picked up a bunch of parts, including the composite headlights. I picked up a gray driver's door panel with the trim piece and unlock/lock and window switches from a '94 Silverado. I currently have manual locks and windows. Is there a way to convert them to full power without cheap worm-drive conversion kits? I'm looking at using factory parts.

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for everything over the years. You truly changed my life. I love you more than you knew, and I miss you terribly. I'll never forget you.

November 15, 1990-March 22, 2008
JK88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Full manual conversion to power

You could go back to the local picknpull and get the factory parts to put in your doors. It may be easier to just replace the doors complete. Be sure to remove the complete wiring harness as well.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
JK88

Hmm, that's kind of what I was afraid of... First of all, being a college student, money's hard to come by right now as it is. Plus, I mutilated the wiring just taking the 3 switches out of that truck yesterday. I don't know what he had running in it but the trim panel that the switches mount into had 2 holes drilled in it with random LED's wired up, plus one in the dash. The door itself is in ****ty condition and I couldn't open it because the Silverado I was pulling from is stacked on a 1978 Silverado, and the driver's side is pressed against another vehicle and the passenger door is gone. I have a set at home that are brand new shells from GM, still in the boxes. I was hoping I could just buy the window motors and regulators and door lock actuators and make a custom wiring harness that taps in under the dash or something like that. Does anyone know if that's possible?

Thank you for everything over the years. You truly changed my life. I love you more than you knew, and I miss you terribly. I'll never forget you.

November 15, 1990-March 22, 2008
JK88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Locknkey

Look for a 89 chevrolet silverado, take a drill with a 3/8 in bit, and remove the motors form both doors, after pulling the door panels. Take everything out including the window brackets, replace with a pop rivet gun and the correct size pop rivets and you'll be good to go. The motor an everything is simple to pull as its on a plate that comes out as a unit. A simple pull an replace procedure.
Locknkey is offline   Reply With Quote