The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2021, 10:54 PM   #1
Robert Bergstrom

Wiper motor wiring

Is this the correct plug in for a 1972 C-10? It is not working at all.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Wiper motor wiring

Looks okay from what I can see in the pic.

The yellow wire should have power with the key on. If not, check the fuse.

When you turn the wiper switch to the low speed setting, it should ground both the black and light blue wires. Turning the wiper switch to the high speed setting should ground only the light blue wire. And pushing the washer button should ground the dark blue wire.

Since the switch is on the ground side of the circuit and uses it's metal case as it's ground connection, it needs to be making good electrical contact with the metal dash.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
Robert Bergstrom

All my wipers do now is to PARK when I turn on the key. They do not wipe at all. So there must be current getting to the motor. The washer motor does not come on. It did before I replace the wiper motor. The fuse looks good.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Okay, try connecting a temporary jumper wire from the light blue wire terminal to a good ground. With the key on, that should cause the motor to run on high speed.

Similarly, using temporary jumper wires to ground both the light blue & black wires should cause the motor to run on low speed. And temporarily jumpering the dark blue wire to ground should cause the solenoid in the washer pump mechanism to click (and engage the mechanism to start pumping if the motor is also running).

If it still doesn't work using the jumper wires (and you have power to the motor via the yellow wire) then the problem is something inside the motor itself. But if you can make it operate using the temporary jumper wires, that would point to a problem with the switch or wiring.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
Robert Bergstrom

Thanks Ray. Right now the washer pump seems to work and the wipers park themselves when I move the wipers by my hand when the key is on and I hit the knob. Also the heater blower would turn on and now it does not. It is like a fuse is blown or wires are not connected correctly. All the lights work (headlights, brake, turn and hazard) and so does the dome light. The starter motor turns the engine.

I want to get these working before I install the radio and the power windows. I will add an extra fuse box for the power windows. On top of all this I am adding an Intellitronix dash.

It is such a joy sorting this all out.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #6
Robert Bergstrom

Got the blower motor switch to work. Th brown wire was in the wrong plug receptacle location. I looked at the factory assembly manual and saw that it was in the wrong location and changed it. Now it WORKS in all three speeds!
Now I just have to get the wipers to move. The pump part works and the wipers PARK themselves when I turn on the ACCS and they are not already in the PARK position. I also notice that the motor it self seems to bind (move a little) when I turn on the switch and it is warm like it is running but not able to move. I will rearraign the wiper shaft location and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Robert Bergstrom; 05-14-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Robert Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #7
Robert Bergstrom

The motor works fine and does both speeds. I had the wiper transmission arms 180 degrees off so the motor was binding. Everything works now. The wipers seem to scrape the cab sheetmetal slightly so I am looking at that now. On to installing the Intellitronix gauge cluster!