The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
Greyhound101

Exhaust system recommendations

383 stroker, shorty headers, true duals to Flowsound (knock off Flowmaster 40's) and echo tips that exit out the back. Sound is good but too loud and the drone at highway speeds is almost unbearable. I'm looking into what I can do different that will reduce the sound level a little and eliminate the drone. My thinking is add an H pipe, and replace the cheap Flowsound mufflers with something else but I'm not quite sure what yet. I like a deep, muscle sound so I'm leaning towards the sound of the Borla XR-1, but the price of the Borla is not so attractive. What do you guys have or have experience with that you'd recommend?
Greyhound101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Exhaust system recommendations

I have magnaflow knockoffs called magflow..I love the sound..not loud..turns down in front of axle, no drone..theyve since changed the name to maxflow I think...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
Tempest67

add a resonator to each pipe, may be just enough to soften the noise, and it is cheap and relatively easy to do.
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
1project2many

H pipe and different mufflers will help. Length of the tailpipe can make a difference. Are the mufflers in front of the axle?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
Greyhound101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
H pipe and different mufflers will help. Length of the tailpipe can make a difference. Are the mufflers in front of the axle?
Yes, mufflers are in front of the axle.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #6
1project2many

I used Walker Ultraflow when I replaced my exhaust last summer. 2.25" in, 2" out, H pipe and turn downs after the axle. It's not bad at all. Drone really messes with my tinnitus so I don't mess around.

I still haven't posted the video I promised but maybe I can get something up in the next day or two.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #7
e015475

Mufflers as far upstream as you can get them

x or h pipe as far forward as practical

I like Magnaflows. I like the cheap Thrush 'turbo' mufflers they sell at the auto parts store for about $30 too (but I live in AZ where they last forever). Longer is better.

If you discharge under the truck, you're always going to have that soundwave trapped under the truck and the potential for resonating. Out the back at the bumper is preferred but at least get it out the side if you don't want to go over the axle

If you need a resonator, put it close to the discharge as possible. Cheap 'glass pack' mufflers work pretty well as resonators too.

Here's mine. Would have liked to get the mufflers closer to the headers but no room. Plenty of room just before the tail pipe to install a resonator if its too noisey. These are the cheap 'Thrush turbo' mufflers.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:00 PM   #8
e015475

Here's that system installed in a '49 - H pipe is close to collector

The cheapie Thrush turbos. You could take a 90 out of the discharge and get the tailpipe in front of the rear tire. Might even get a short resonator in there if you had to.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:40 AM   #9
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
Here's that system installed in a '49 - H pipe is close to collector

The cheapie Thrush turbos. You could take a 90 out of the discharge and get the tailpipe in front of the rear tire. Might even get a short resonator in there if you had to.
What headers did you use?

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:51 AM   #10
MiraclePieCo

Here's what I use...seriously.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2021, 12:10 PM   #11
mr48chev

Now that I looked up "echo can" to make sure of what it was I keep getting these adds on FB.

Are you sure that those aren't working like a fart pipe on a Honda and causing part of the problem?
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
e015475

"What headers did you use?"

Mine. Fab'd out of 1.5" dia stainless mandrel bends.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-09-2021, 05:04 PM   #13
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
Mine. Fab'd out of 1.5" dia stainless mandrel bends.
very nice headers. i've made headers and turbo mounts, it's not easy to make them look good and fit well

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #14
Greyhound101

I've decided to go with the 14" Borla Pro XS mufflers. I'll have the shop add an H pipe and we'll see how it sounds. I'll report back once it's finished in a couple weeks. In the process of adding a TCC lockup kit and re-routing trans cooling lines.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #15
65blackfleetside

I have had the flowmasters and the knock off off stainless mini turbo's that summit sells on various Ford and Chevy small block builds. Most of these sounded good and quality was good but they were a little too loud at all speeds.

My latest build is '51 with LS 5.3 on S10 frame. I went with single Borla muffler cheap stainless headers off of amazon and 2.5" diy exhaust pipe kit from speedway out the rear and love the exhaust notes!!

Here is why I think this Borla System sounds so Good to me and No Drone::

I insulated cab with fat mat/(dura mat) top to bottom. Ran extra layer of carpet insulation. Fat mated inside of doors.

I also used a single Large Borla Muffler 2.5" in 2.5" out. having the system tied in the middle before it exits is key to losing the drone. Muffler is installed upstream not at rear. I chose a single borla due to stock S10 fuel tank and tight squeeze out the rear for 2 mufflers.

I am sure the H pipe/ X Pipes help with drone too if using 2 mufflers as would putting the muffler as far forward as possible. From others reports The resinators also seem to help.

Exhaust notes are a very personal thing. For me I wanted tame at idle semi quite at normal driving but nasty when I get on it. Thats what I have now! I would compare my current trucks sound to my buddy's 2019 shelby 350R.(OEM Full race model) It has that growl when you get on it! The Ford Engineers spent millions on RR to get that 350R to sound like that- I spent about $650 bucks lol. (side note I think the shelby's use borla in their systems as well but thereis also an electrically controlled servo's that open and closes baffles from selector button on dash "race" "sport" mode etc. I am sure some after market company makes something similar? That would be a cool option to add to a build- having a button on the dash to control your exhaust notes.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #16
R&B51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65blackfleetside View Post
I have had the flowmasters and the knock off off stainless mini turbo's that summit sells on various Ford and Chevy small block builds. Most of these sounded good and quality was good but they were a little too loud at all speeds.

My latest build is '51 with LS 5.3 on S10 frame. I went with single Borla muffler cheap stainless headers off of amazon and 2.5" diy exhaust pipe kit from speedway out the rear and love the exhaust notes!!

Here is why I think this Borla System sounds so Good to me and No Drone::

I insulated cab with fat mat/(dura mat) top to bottom. Ran extra layer of carpet insulation. Fat mated inside of doors.

I also used a single Large Borla Muffler 2.5" in 2.5" out. having the system tied in the middle before it exits is key to losing the drone. Muffler is installed upstream not at rear. I chose a single borla due to stock S10 fuel tank and tight squeeze out the rear for 2 mufflers.

I am sure the H pipe/ X Pipes help with drone too if using 2 mufflers as would putting the muffler as far forward as possible. From others reports The resinators also seem to help.

Exhaust notes are a very personal thing. For me I wanted tame at idle semi quite at normal driving but nasty when I get on it. Thats what I have now! I would compare my current trucks sound to my buddy's 2019 shelby 350R.(OEM Full race model) It has that growl when you get on it! The Ford Engineers spent millions on RR to get that 350R to sound like that- I spent about $650 bucks lol. (side note I think the shelby's use borla in their systems as well but thereis also an electrically controlled servo's that open and closes baffles from selector button on dash "race" "sport" mode etc. I am sure some after market company makes something similar? That would be a cool option to add to a build- having a button on the dash to control your exhaust notes.
Sounds like a good system, would you mind sharing the model of Borla muffler that you found and like ? Do you have any pictures?
Posted via Mobile Device
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:20 AM   #17
65blackfleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
Sounds like a good system, would you mind sharing the model of Borla muffler that you found and like ? Do you have any pictures?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure Here is the 2 in 2 out single muffler that I purchased Off of Amazon. It worked well using the S10 frame and stock S10 Left side fuel tank .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the 4.8/5.3 LS Headers that I used off of ebay. Just make sure that you buy a good quality aluminum header gasket felpro and mr gasket sell them.

Here are the headers that I used . 3 years running and no complaints. the amazon link now says "unavailable"- probably a different vender sells them? This happens on many amazon products over time. I am sure they are still on amazon under different vender somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing that I would add to my exhaust if I had to do over would be those large 2.5" braided stainless steel flex pipes upstream just to allow for engine movement/vibration. So far I have had 0 issues w/o them. The engineers on many vehicles add them so They must work.

Old Picture of my truck showing rear exhaust exit through roll pan. I took that idea from the C-7 vette and performance cadillac.
Attached Images