The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
72Mountaineer

What mirrors?

Outside ones, that is. The vent windows on my '53 won't allow the swan mirrors, which I have. Peeps? I will hate to screw them to my rain channels, and how well do they fasten? I need the mirrors, old and arthritic means craning my neck is tough.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Bimus

Re: What mirrors?

these work well
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 07-27-2021 at 09:58 AM. Reason: bad picture
Bimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #3
vintovka

Been discussed before. At 72 all those small fancy mirrors may be an invitation to an accident or worse. Large door mounts do the job but require lots of holes. I tried many types and my solution was original arms with 4x5 mirrors. I used a small extension and a larger panoramic on the pass side. Ido suggest mirrors that are ALL stainless. On some there are some parts that are not which is a pain in high rust area like mine.
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:53 PM   #4
_Ogre

peeps suck, they're more for legal look-officer-i-have-mirrors than i use mirrors

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:00 PM   #5
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
peeps suck, they're more for legal look-officer-i-have-mirrors than i use mirrors
Ogre is correct. I tried peeps first and after the first close call that was it. Many are conditioned to driving cars with large viewing areas and big mirrors, AD.s (especially 3 window) can be a challenge. When the engineers added the cowl mounted mirrors and generous 4 or 5" mirrors they knew what they were doing based on experience. Us older folks may have lost some visual acuity and our necks don't swivel the way they used to. We need all the mirror we can get. I have had my 5 window now for 50 years and the difference from when i was 19 is significant.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
1project2many

I have a driver's side peep on my '57. It's original due to the bed mount spare. Tough to work with. I added an interior mirror but it's still necessary to keep the neck joint swivel well greased on the highway.

I have two peeps on my '36 Plymouth sedan. Those aren't too bad but I think larger mirrors would be nice.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #7
mr48chev

The clamp on to the edge of your door peeps are worthless except for the look officer I have an outside mirror thing.

I had some plastic bodied aftermarket I think mirrors on my truck in the late 90's but never liked the looks of them.

I ran 73 truck sport mirrors for years and liked them better than any other mirrors I had on it. They are big enough to see with and they don't shake. One of my buddies worked in a Chevy garage then and got them for me as new take offs when they put big mirrors on a new truck.

The mirror peaking around my son in this shot.

That's this mirror. https://www.classicparts.com/1973-87...ctinfo/58-123/

I've thought that the 70/72 sport mirrors would look presentable .https://www.classicparts.com/1970-72...ctinfo/58-121/

Or what I am going to use on my 71 with I put the 67/69 doors I have on it that already have the threaded holes https://www.classicparts.com/1967-69...ctinfo/58-119/ then you can use the size mirror head that you want.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
72Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The clamp on to the edge of your door peeps are worthless except for the look officer I have an outside mirror thing.

I had some plastic bodied aftermarket I think mirrors on my truck in the late 90's but never liked the looks of them.

I ran 73 truck sport mirrors for years and liked them better than any other mirrors I had on it. They are big enough to see with and they don't shake. One of my buddies worked in a Chevy garage then and got them for me as new take offs when they put big mirrors on a new truck.

The mirror peaking around my son in this shot.

That's this mirror. https://www.classicparts.com/1973-87...ctinfo/58-123/

I've thought that the 70/72 sport mirrors would look presentable .https://www.classicparts.com/1970-72...ctinfo/58-121/

Or what I am going to use on my 71 with I put the 67/69 doors I have on it that already have the threaded holes https://www.classicparts.com/1967-69...ctinfo/58-119/ then you can use the size mirror head that you want.
Nice mirrors, probably wouldn't work with the vent windows though.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:16 PM   #9
vintovka

FWIW I think The holes and reinforcements for factory mirrors are on all ADs unless purposely removed. The location were most likely chosen/designed for lowest vibration and for use with vent windows. At one time (in last 50 years) it had door mounted trucker style mirrors. Never liked them either. Have a box with new and like new mirrors (peep and swan) and regret buying them.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #10
mr48chev

I did have those mirrors mounted too far forward for vent wings.

I've got swan neck mirrors that I am going to run this time around as I feel that they fit the total build plan a lot better.

Cole Foster had a mirror mounted right at the leading edge of the style line of his old truck that you really don't take much notice of if you aren't looking for it. Understated as a lot of things on that truck were when he had it as his daily driver.

That would clear the wings unless you wanted to turn them around to catch air to get more breeze inside.

I snagged this photo off Ebay years ago but didn't pay attenton to the mirrors then.

Not ugly, and unless the truck is a slick custom build they wouldn't look out of place. Far better than cow truck mirrors hanging on the doors too.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:47 PM   #11
MiraclePieCo

I fabricated some brackets that mount to the door edge via flat nuts. 5-inch convex allows me to see fine with no blind spots - even with the huge blind area of a panel truck!
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #12
mr48chev

Those mirrors on MPC's panel look like they came from the factory that way. So well done and blending into the build so well that you don't even notice them.