The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2020, 06:06 PM   #26
8man

Re: 51 Chev on a S10 frame, named Dale

Nice work!
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #27
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
Thanks Russ, I will keep that in mind, but won't worry about that til it is on the road, in the Spring, I hope.

Now the Rad Cradle, I have seen some designs that seemed like a lot of work, so I was trying to find the simplest way of doing this.

I started with the 19 x 22 rad (I will need to take it to a friend to get the lower outlet turned around and welded, - aluminum) and placed it on an L shaped piece of steel. Measured the height I needed for the rad to fit, and then cut the original rad cradle and welded it to the L bracket

I then cut 2 pieces of 4 X 4 steel tubing, lengthwise, to make 2 U shaped pieces. They were then tacked to the frame, just clearing the steering box. I knew if I just cleared the steering box it would fit , thanks to this website, and I can always shim it up if I need to. (but not down)

After installing 2 rubbers on the L bracket, and trimming it to allow another 2 inches of air flow, the fenders and hood were attached and I placed the rad in it's spot.

All lined up fine. I did add 3 small bolts to attach to the upper frame of the rad, but not sure if I will use that, or bend up some metal and add some upper rubber pieces. will be determined at final assembly.

I also ovaled the 2 holes on the top of the U brackets to allow for front to back adjustment of the rad cradle.

There is no right way or wrong way, this is just what I decided to do

see pics below
Looks like enough room to run a mechanical fan. Nice.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #28
Tempest67

I prefer a mechanical fan, and I hope to use one, but that will be a decision during 'final assembly'.

All the front sheet metal is off the truck now, and this weekend I hope to clean up the firewall (I think someone said there are 57 holes?) and get final welds done, then re-paint the frame, tear down engine to inspect and re-seal, then brake and fuel lines, and wiring, and interior and..... a lot to do, but just enjoying the process............snow tomorrow, so I will be in the garage 'grinding'.
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #29
joedoh

yep, know that process well, my wife sees a truck all put together and the next day all blown apart again and says "I thought it was done!"

looks like a solid front mounting!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #30
twinshadows

Thank you , Tempest67, for your time, postings, idea's, and great pictures.

I'm looking & learning as you guys build these trucks. Plus, a lot of the same issues , with different ways & fixes . . . . too make things work.

I'm "in & following along" - - - - - jim
twinshadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #31
Tempest67

After looking at the motor mounts that are used for a SBC, it bothered me that the engine rested over the unsupported portion of the mount.

So I thought I would make a few brackets and weld them in for support.

I cut some angled metal to fit in the pocket behind the engine cross member, drilled a hole in it, then drilled a slot in the mount (to match the other 3 slots) , welded it, and ground down the weld.

It still needs to be painted, but here is what I did.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #32
8man

Good solution.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
Old 01-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #33
olcarguy

Looks like you know what your doing...will be following along. What part of Ontario are you from? Been snowing here for last 3 days.
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:00 AM   #34
joedoh

good thinking, and nice execution!

Old 01-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #35
Tempest67

Thanks Guys, just trying to keep the project moving forward, as Johnny Cash would say, " 1 piece at a time"

Olcarguy, I am in Oakville, just west of Toronto. I have seen your metal working skills and am very impressed, keep the updates coming
Old 01-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #36
olcarguy

Thanks Tempest…I know where Oakville is use to live in Mississauga and worked at Molson brewery on fleet
street......unfortunately there won't be an update till sometime after spring. I moved from a 24x30 shop near Peterborough to a 20 x22 space all 90% of my equipment is in a sea can in the drive. panel is sitting in the snow.

Name:  IMG_0643.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  52.3 KB

big shadow is the sea can

Last edited by olcarguy; 01-28-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #37
Tempest67

Maynooth, had to Google that, and now I see where you are. I used to snowmobile up around there.

The panel is sitting in a lot of snow, No snow down here now, and none in the forecast.

Hopefully you will get back at it in the Spring, as I enjoyed the pics of your metal work.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #38
Tempest67

Well, the project just became more expensive, and it's my own fault.

I purchased a SBC with vortec heads from a guy last year, he said the motor ran well, but he is getting a Big Block for his El Camino. I went to his place, saw his car, and his Dad's El Camino parked beside his, and I agreed to buy the motor.

So, now, a year later, my friend tells me to open up the motor, and we will have a look inside and reseal it.........guess what???? bad news.

I know, I know, I should have taken a head off before I bought it, but I wanted to believe this guy and I really wanted this motor,

So, now I am in the process of disassembling the lower end, to see if it is any good, and I will be looking for some heads......or maybe a complete motor if the block is cracked too........

Please don't beat me up too bad, I have been kicking myself since Saturday and I am not over it yet...........

Ahhhhh.......... "Serenity Now"
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #39
8man

I read up on the Vortec heads before doing mine. They do have a problem with cracks. However, they are plentiful so you should be able to find some that aren't cracked. While you look inside, try to find some better heads.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #40
joedoh

at least you pulled it apart beforehand, saved you some troubleshooting

Old 01-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #41
Tempest67

Ya, I guess that is the silver lining to this one
Old 02-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #42
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
yep, know that process well, my wife sees a truck all put together and the next day all blown apart again and says "I thought it was done!"

looks like a solid front mounting!
My wife says that about once a week or once a month on our projects (depending on how fast we are working). It would be nice to only put each part together once, but that is not how it works.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #43
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
Well, the project just became more expensive, and it's my own fault.

I purchased a SBC with vortec heads from a guy last year, he said the motor ran well, but he is getting a Big Block for his El Camino. I went to his place, saw his car, and his Dad's El Camino parked beside his, and I agreed to buy the motor.

So, now, a year later, my friend tells me to open up the motor, and we will have a look inside and reseal it.........guess what???? bad news.

I know, I know, I should have taken a head off before I bought it, but I wanted to believe this guy and I really wanted this motor,

So, now I am in the process of disassembling the lower end, to see if it is any good, and I will be looking for some heads......or maybe a complete motor if the block is cracked too........

Please don't beat me up too bad, I have been kicking myself since Saturday and I am not over it yet...........

Ahhhhh.......... "Serenity Now"
I pulled my SBC engine apart a few months ago and found that water had laid in the two rear cylinders at some point in time. Hopefully boring out by 30 thou will take care of the rust. Vortec heads looked good though.

Lots of surprises on these projects (and most of them don't result in cash savings LOL)
Old 02-02-2020, 10:04 PM   #44
olcarguy

Thanks for the kind words on my metal work. Have to build a garage extention in spring, then hope to be back to work on it....
Old 02-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #45
Tempest67

Hi Guys,

I have not updated in a while, but progress is still being made.

The sbc is at the machine shop, and I have a found a set of rebuilt Vortec heads, ........ this is causing a serious hit to the budget..... but can't stop now.

Anyways, I was planning on using the S10 gas tank, and cutting and adapting the fuel filler neck with some gas line rubber hose. I noticed that the original S10 filler tube has a plastic ball in the fuel filler neck, I think to avoid the tank from overflowing, and fuel sloshing out.

Is this piece necessary?? ...what did you guys do, as I am not sure if I can remove this plastic ball assembly and put it in the rubber fuel line?? maybe I can? not sure if I need to??

Thanks for your help
Old 02-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #46
joedoh

no worries, the ball is an anti-siphon feature, so that fuel will flow past but a garden hose wont.

nice to hear you are still at it!

Old 02-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #47
Tempest67

Thanks Russ,

I am still at it, working on the firewall, messing around with wipers, installing Altman latches, bending brake lines, preparing the sheet metal for final assembly...... lots of little things that I am trying to get done, as once that motor is done, it will be full speed ahead.

thanks again for the good news about the anti-siphon assembly.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:52 PM   #48
Northern 52

I'm just a little north of you in Sudbury. Nice to see another Ontario build. Mine is a 52, 3 window Saskatchewan truck on a 2000 S10 extended cab, short box. I had to shorten the frame a bit. I have a 5.7 Vortec installed but not running yet.

Just wondering where you sourced the cab corners. One of mine is rusted through but the other side is fine.

It will be interesting going through the safety and insurance steps so I will be watching closely. You are a bit ahead of me but if I get in gear, I could have it on the road this coming summer.

Brendan
Northern 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #49
Tempest67

Brendan,

Glad to hear that you are working on a S10 swap, I am enjoying the process. Your winters are longer up there so you will have more time to finish ...ha ha

My 51 came from Manitoba, still required alot of rust repair to the cab, but it is amazing how solid the doors, fenders, hood and box are.

I am hoping to have it on the road this summer...... but when you put deadlines on a project, it becomes work, not fun....so I am trying to be patient.

I picked the cab corners up last year in Carlisle PA at the swap meet, but I found a good place in Courtice ON (near Pickering/Oshawa) named Bill's Truck Shop. They seem to have everything you need for an old truck resto. , and seem to be reasonable to deal with. (not any S10 stuff, but all the original stuff is available)...they also have a lot of used parts.

Good Luck with your project, and I will look for your Build thread, if you don't have one, let us see what you are working on.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #50
Tempest67

I really like the look of the original hub caps on these AD trucks. The baby moon with the red 'CHEVROLET' letters.

BUT, our truck is on a S10 frame, and I am using GM wheels with 5 lugs, so the original hub caps will not fit, unless you add the clips., but I did not want to mess around with that.

So, I purchased 4 new baby moon hub caps from Summit, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-4580

and went to my local Vinyl Graphics guy, and he made me up some stickers.

I now have baby moons with the CHEVROLET letters. I am going to add 1 inch trim rings, and I think I will have the look I am after.
Attached Images