The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
jhaymon

70 build(some assembly required)

well i make jokes about my current bane of existence, but somebody really did cut the grass and find it. this truck was barn find and my ex-wifes uncle started the restoration(it sat in his yard for 6 years and was restored to iron ore). then his bother(my ex father-in-law) got it and took it apart. before my divorce from miss white trash usa, he cleaned his yard and found the truck. my ex-uncle knew i wanted the engine(an olds 403) and offered to trade it to for 2 eclipse autocockers i had. so i got a truck(kinda).

i was just going to pull the engine and junk the truck but my deal for the trans-am that goes with the engine fell through. so now i stuck with 2 tones of American sheet-metal i cant give away.so i shove in a stowage(an old vacant house i owned)and put an ad in the local online classified for someone to haul it off. i get 10 calls from people wanting to sell me theirs and one guy who wants me to haul off a cab. ok i get the cab.opps.. my truck and trailer is in Dallas for fear the up and coming ex would try to take it. i have a little work truck, maybe it'll fit..

some blasting revealed a good find with only one rust spot

now to make room on the frame. for the new cab

and get rid of the old one

and it sat for 5 years.till i sold the property.

well after 5 years i still have the 2 ton beast and still dont have the trans-am i need for the engine so until i get distracted ill start building a truck. my ultimate goal is to spend $0.00. so far im doing good.
I'll have to find a camera to continue this
jhaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
jhaymon

Re: 70 build(some assembly required)

im bad about stopping long enough to take pix, buit here's what i currently have as a truck. im wondering if i can change the title to zero dollar build. still $0.00 invested.
it does run like a scalded ape.i haven't opened the 403 yet, but i can tell it's defiantly not a stock engine. this engine was apparently a replacement for the 400 that the truck can with originally. i can see a definite problem getting headers on it. I've never built a custom set of headers, but here my excuse to try. i popped a tire driving it up to work on it so it's still in the back of my property. i may be moving it to the tiny attached garage on the house that is currently being used as a catch-all for all my wifes crap. i just got home from the shop and even with 2 giant box fans, it's still close to 120 at 3 in the morning in my shop(this is going to be a bad summer for guys like me with heart conditions).
but anyway this is what i have.
Name:  156252_468062503209217_1740026948_n.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  109.7 KB
Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Tinkermc

your budget sounds like the one my wife wants me to work with.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
jhaymon

i can have a budget if i want one, but thats not the bet. Me and the guys in the club have a bet to see who can spend the least on a car
Old 07-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
jhaymon

hum..interesting find today. so i pulled the bed off the truck and found that it had the hangers on the cross-member for the coil rear, the pads for the coils, and a 2nd set of shock mounts. yet i have a 6 lug leaf hung rear without an id plate...as if it wasnt a big enough p.i.t.a to find Oldsmobile engine parts for a gmc, now i have to find diff parts for an unknown diff. i should have noticed the brake register was too small for it to be a 70.

pix when i get em.

Last edited by jhaymon; 07-07-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: i tired
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Tinkermc

hope you win the club bet I hope they have a time limit also or this could never end.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
jhaymon

we have a year(4 months down). we work(well they work) and we know parts collection can take some time. it all started with the comment "build not bought", add a case of beer to the equation, and a comment became a bet.