The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
brokestudent

Upholstery and general opinion questions

I am curious about whether anyone has bought and installed this in their truck http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=115it is new seat upholstery. I have not priced what someone would charge me to reupholster my seats, but in the past on a different rebuild I was quoted ridiculous amounts. If someone does have this can they post pics please. Another question I have is I am wanting to shave the door handles, but I am not sure if I want to even out the hand grip area incase in the future someone wants to go back to stock. Would that look goofy to just fill in the holes but leave the little notched out part? Also has anyone used the cheap power window kits like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-2-...be1e48&vxp=mtr What was your experience did you like them etc? I plan on doing something custom for the switches so I am not worried about the cheesey things that come with it.
brokestudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: Upholstery and general opinion questions

Pre fab covers are less expensive and can be a pay for what you get experience at times. Run a layer of thin cotton batting on top of the foam before the cover to smooth out everything.

No exp on power windows but the ones that use the Oe window lever as the up down switch seem pretty cool.

Loose the pocket if you loose the outer handles. Yes it would look half finished and backwoods to leave the indents but shave the handles.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
66 C10 383

I have never converted anything to electric windows but I might be doing a conversion like this in the future. One thing always in the back of my mind is "Where am I gonna get parts for this in the future if the motors go bad ... " They might be some type of oem motor but who, where, and what year are they...

Old Build Thread - 383/T56
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=540838

Updated Build Thread - Modern Relic - 66 C10 536 Dark Aqua
5.3/4L60E - BTR Stage IV Truck Cam - Vintage Air - Dakota Digital
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=778784
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
brokestudent

I had the same worry but really for the cheap cost you could buy a few different ones to keep as backups
brokestudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
BadaSs_Cal

I was thinking of going to an upholstery shop and see what kind of deal I could get if I was willing to remove the seat myself and maybe use some stock fabric they already have that will work for me maybe left over from another job...

Let us know if you do the windows.. I wanna see

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
DexterDog

My wife "wrapped" our bench lower(back part is great) in a bandanna designed curtain. No $hit. The foam was fine and just needed some color. The new project has become a vintage leather seat! We craigslisted a free brown leather couch for the leather, and my mom is sewing it using a friends upholstery sewing machine. Pictures when it's done!
DexterDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
BadaSs_Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterDog View Post
My wife "wrapped" our bench lower(back part is great) in a bandanna designed curtain. No $hit. The foam was fine and just needed some color. The new project has become a vintage leather seat! We craigslisted a free brown leather couch for the leather, and my mom is sewing it using a friends upholstery sewing machine. Pictures when it's done!
Great idea.

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
waspp

I just got a quote on a complete job for my 63 seat and it was $275-300 which I didn't think was bad at all. She said she could make just about anything cloth or vinyl even a factory style. This included some foam as well since mine has disappeared on the drivers side.
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
MikeN

I removed my seat and took it to a local auto upholstery shop. They fixed a couple of broken springs, repaired some foam and batting, and installed beautiful new upholstery, all for $300. I'm extremely satisfied. The tuck and roll upholstery also adds a little padding and makes the seat more comfortable than original as well.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote