The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

NOS Set of hood hinges

I've been on a local selling binge and I've sold a lot of (large sized) parts. Usually pretty easy to get comps for pricing, but I'm not finding anything recent for a set of NOS hood hinges. I have a local fella that wants them which is great because shipping large weird shaped stuff gets pricey fast.

Any thoughts on what I should tell the fella price wise? What have you seen out there to help me out on pricing? ... Thanks.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: NOS Set of hood hinges

I’ve purchased and installed NOS hinges recently. One side is still available from GM or was about six months ago. The one I got from GM had to be overnighted or GM wouldn’t ship out of Flint due to virus related backlogs and that cost me about $150 total delivered to my local Chevy dealer. The other side I got on eBay for less than that. There’s one on eBay now.

The GM acquired NOS piece had loose rivets and needed to be rebuilt - I was not pleased.

I’d say $250 - 300 plus ship.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 11-16-2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Added
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Thanks for the info. Ill double check mine for poor riveting.

Just checked them. The tag is from 92. The left hand one is super tight, no slop at all. The right hand side has a little tick/clickieness, hard to describe. Definitively wouldn't say it needs a rebuild though its not as tight as the left. Ill probably just hang on to them. I hate dealing with possible grief, especially if I ended up shipping them off somewhere.

Guy offered me 150 for the pair. In my mind I was thinking closer to 300, I told him sorry Im not letting em go for that.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291

Last edited by CG; 11-20-2020 at 09:04 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Same deal w mine and I believe it was the right side. Clicky and loose feeling. Maybe a crank in a vice would fix?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 01-15-2021, 12:14 AM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Just had mine blasted. The originals were rebuilt, he offered one finish, did something else Anyway picked them up today and nearly had a heart attack they were both seized. Then realized oh yeah, nothing but some abused steel. So I oiled em up, put the 90 in a vise and back and forth until smooth as silk.

Then realized you have to do the same after they're finished or you're in for a bad day. Guy talked me into a Ceracote finish, see what happens.

You can tell a difference the rivets many NOS Vs older say. If memory serves me right the pic. in post #2 are the old rivets Doesn't matter in my case, but the rebuilder got pretty close the old ones. I tried to get NOS, couldn't find one side so heck with it. NOS would have been cheaper

Oh yeah, I think I'd have paid $500+ no issues for old rivets, maybe $400 the newer ones. I sold the NOS (newer rivets) I had for $150-180 a few years ago.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-15-2021 at 12:42 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #6
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Tony the thought crossed my mind at the time but I neglected to look at the rivets side by side. I’ll try to remember to post up a pic of my rebuilt hinges but my trucks are in storage. I took the OE hinges replaced by my NOS examples and had them rebuilt then phosphate coated for install on my k20 this spring. It’s true that the rebuilt hinges are noticeably stiffer.

Here’s the NOS hinge that’s now partnered up with that in post #2. This hinge was tight and didn’t require a rebuild. Note the thick layer of dust from years and years in storage. It’s old NOS imo and the rivets are more deeply furrowed than those in #2.
Attached Images

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 01-15-2021 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added
Old 01-16-2021, 12:13 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Tony the thought crossed my mind at the time but I neglected to look at the rivets side by side. I’ll try to remember to post up a pic of my rebuilt hinges but my trucks are in storage. I took the OE hinges replaced by my NOS examples and had them rebuilt then phosphate coated for install on my k20 this spring. It’s true that the rebuilt hinges are noticeably stiffer.

Here’s the NOS hinge that’s now partnered up with that in post #2. This hinge was tight and didn’t require a rebuild. Note the thick layer of dust from years and years in storage. It’s old NOS imo and the rivets are more deeply furrowed than those in #2.
I'll have to see if I have a picture, but I believe my original rivets were exactly what's in that picture P. That hinge looks sharp. Phosphate is the way to go, I don't know a place. I'll pic of my replacement rivets and new finish, just dropped them off to the Ceracote guy today. I believe the replacement rivets are very similar or same your first picture.

The one NOS I've seen had small rivet ends and looked too perfect if you get my meaning. Looked like say a coin battery with a plus sign.

Washed the oil off my blasted hinges, at least they move now (yikes). With oil smooth as silk. The guy who rebuilt them recommends seafoam deep. One minute you're spraying the next can't even hold onto the can

If you think of it, I'm curious what the front of the front cross support looks like on a new-ish OEM hinge. There's a bow to it. Or at least better be, all four my hinges have it Perhaps the rear too, but the front seems most vulnerable to stress.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-17-2021 at 01:06 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #8
wazzabie

Several years ago I got a pair from the dealer. Is it better to repair old ones or go with NOS. Ensuring you have good hinges is important otherwise you get hood bend. I don't think it cost more then $150 from the dealer for the pair.
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote