The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2023, 11:36 AM   #26
raggedjim

Re: Bucketlist Blazer -Restomod build 6.6liter L8T

They are C10. I spent some time in Great Lakes during my Navy Daze, I'll bet it's cold up there!

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 12:55 PM   #27
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
They are C10. I spent some time in Great Lakes during my Navy Daze, I'll bet it's cold up there!
It is actually a very warm winter so far. 30 degrees right now though.
I could have gone to my parents 2nd home in Georgia and grabbed those arms on the way. They got there yesterday though.
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:27 PM   #28
raggedjim

Well, I have been holding on to them for a while. If you decide you want them just pm me.

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM   #29
NDM

Just posting a video to help me kind of get this thing going. I plan to document this whole process so I can help others. Maybe I can even get my youtube account a good amount of views. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/4wfLmYy5nGs
Old 01-08-2024, 12:51 AM   #30
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Here’s the part number for those spindles.
They are really nothing special.
They are standard c10 2.5” drop spindles with the balljoint and tie rod holes that fit the c20 trucks.

Here’s an idea,… buy new stock or drop 73-87 HD spindles (the ones for 1.25” rotors) and have the holes reamed for your c20 size balljoints and tie rods.
Same thing as what I have.
Finding a set of stock height c10 spindles should be easy.
Just make sure they are for the 1.25” rotors, because the aftermarket 6-lug rotors are 1.25” also.
If you do actually consider selling the spindles, I would love to buy them from you. I am kind of nervous about doing as you suggested. I don't want to buy all the stuff and screw up the taper mod and waste my buckaroos. I sure as heck wish I could find a set of these somewhere. It seems like the most ideal way to go.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:43 PM   #31
NDM

WOW! I am posting this to help me save it. This is by far the most detailed how to for disassembly and assembly of a 6l90E that I have ever seen! I am feeling pretty comfy that I could convert my 2wd 6l90E to 4x4 if I so choose.
This video is golden!

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncD6M1DsnaY

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reGawHxASCs
Old 01-14-2024, 07:51 PM   #32
NDM

Started buying a few parts.
mount adapter for the LT motor.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HY4TZMK...roduct_details

ICT Billet 2014-up LT L83 L86 LT1 Billet Engine Swap Bracket SBC Conversion Motor Mount Plate Gen V Adapter Small Block 551363X

LT fuel pump plug
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087YKMXDB...roduct_details

ICT Billet LT Gen V High Pressure Fuel Pump Lifter Plug Direct Injection to Port Injection Conversion L82 L83 L84 L86 L87 LT1 L8B LT4 LT5 LTX 551965-PLUG
Old 03-07-2024, 09:38 PM   #33
NDM

Just a build update... I am still laid off and I am stuck. I need more cash to buy the remainder of the items needed for motor swap and I do not want to just put a few thousand on my credit card. The only way for me to proceed with the swap is with either a jobby job or by selling off my beloved things. I have already sold a bunch of stuff but I really do not want to dip into my tier 1 stuff. I do not want to sell my motorcycle because I put a lot of work into it and it is actually reliable and fuel efficient. SOOOOO......

Today I reluctantly spent a whole day removing my old motor to replace the flywheel. I got the flywheel on and new motor mounts and set the motor down as I ran out of light. What a royal pain in the Ass that was. Middle finger to the person that thought it was a good idea to put the motor damn near against the firewall. I am 100% moving the motor forward when I do the motor swap. I am happy that I did not break or strip any bolts in the process. That virtually never happens!

So tomorrow if all goes well, I will finally after 4 months be able to enjoy my Blazer again. I did overextend my throttle cable so we will see how that works out. I may have to replace it. No worries, I am just glad to almost be able to drive the thing again.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:26 AM   #34
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDM View Post
Just a build update... I am still laid off and I am stuck. I need more cash to buy the remainder of the items needed for motor swap and I do not want to just put a few thousand on my credit card. The only way for me to proceed with the swap is with either a jobby job or by selling off my beloved things. I have already sold a bunch of stuff but I really do not want to dip into my tier 1 stuff. I do not want to sell my motorcycle because I put a lot of work into it and it is actually reliable and fuel efficient. SOOOOO......

Today I reluctantly spent a whole day removing my old motor to replace the flywheel. I got the flywheel on and new motor mounts and set the motor down as I ran out of light. What a royal pain in the Ass that was. Middle finger to the person that thought it was a good idea to put the motor damn near against the firewall. I am 100% moving the motor forward when I do the motor swap. I am happy that I did not break or strip any bolts in the process. That virtually never happens!

So tomorrow if all goes well, I will finally after 4 months be able to enjoy my Blazer again. I did overextend my throttle cable so we will see how that works out. I may have to replace it. No worries, I am just glad to almost be able to drive the thing again.
Nice to get something done after not working on it for a while. Good luck for tomorrow.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:36 AM   #35
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Nice to get something done after not working on it for a while. Good luck for tomorrow.
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2024, 08:20 PM   #36
NDM

Only 1 thing left. I need to remove the passenger downpipe and repair a crack in the sealing flange that was caused by my stupid decision to NOT remove the starter. I will remove the downpipe, weld the crack and grind back to shape, install a new flange seal on both sides and re-install the exhaust. I have already tested it and it turns over. a couple pumps of the gas pedal and it should start!

Very, Very happy!
Old 03-08-2024, 08:37 PM   #37
bnorth

Any pics of the old amp setup? Those old JBL GTI's pounded!!
Old 03-09-2024, 02:31 AM   #38
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Any pics of the old amp setup? Those old JBL GTI's pounded!!
What do you mean the old amp setup? I am not sure I understand the ask. I am more than happy to share photos if I understand what you are looking for.

BTW, these subs are the W15GTIMKII subs. They are the 3rd gen of the GTI subs. These are cult classic subwoofers in the sound quality car audio crowd but do not mistake these for weak subwoofers (I know you were not). These things get downright NASTY when you want to do the SPL thing. I own six of these only two in the blazer and I use them for sound quality with an exceptional ability to get very loud. They simply sound amazing. They are direct descendants of a world renown JBL Pro audio driver but I cannot think of what the model number was. They were used in professional venues and take tons of abuse. These were basically the same design but modified for a car environment.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:35 AM   #39
NDM

One more day at least. It seems that I broke the kickdown cable and throttle cable. Everything is all installed and the motor turns but I cannot test drive until I get these replaced.

Tomorrow I will investigate further and maybe get the timing reset since I had to take out the distributor to get to the top trans bolts.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:33 PM   #40
NDM

Throttle fixed but I cannot get the damn thing to fire. I have been installing and reinstalling the distributor all day (starting all over repeatedly)and I cannot seem to get spark. I am going to try one more time today but wait for warmer weather on Monday if I do not get it. May just replace the distributor and wires soon.

Very Very NOT happy.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:09 PM   #41
NDM

Good God almighty....Finally!!
4 months and 5 days and my Blazer is finally running again.
I am placing these notes here for me to remember later.

-DO not forget to mark the distributor before removing it.
-Timing tick is at 12 degrees before TDC so 12 to the left of the zero.
-Distributor should be advanced counter clockwise of center. If there are flames out of the carb, it is retarded too much.
-Distributor rotor points directly at Cylinder 1 spark plug wire.
-Give it at least half throttle and start the motor cold

My issue ended up being a little corrosion on the points Rotor position was slightly off and timing was too low/retarded. I

Tomorrow I will burp the motor and radiator, check/top off the fluids and set total timing advance. After that I can finally take a nice joyride in my beloved!
Old 03-10-2024, 01:11 PM   #42
NDM

Radiator has a hole, Heater core is broken, reverse gear is iffy.

Radiator- I will likely get one from a modern truck in prep for the LT motor swap

Heater core- Fuhgeddaboudit! Winter is almost over and I was going to get vintage air eventually. It is bypassed for now

Reverse gear- I am going to make sure the trans fluid is okay and hopefully it will be good

I drove the blazer around the block though so that is promising.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:32 PM   #43
NDM

Reverse gear is now restored.

Heater core and radiator are all that is left......until something else breaks!
Old 03-13-2024, 01:27 AM   #44
NDM

It was very nice to be able to drive this thing. I dropped my wife off at the chevy dealership for her car, drove around a bit and finally got to enjoy my stereo again. It was perfect weather. I also ordered a top dead center tool and found that my balancer is about 3 degrees off. I reset the timing and took another drive. WOW 👌 What a great time.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:02 PM   #45
bnorth

Quote:
What do you mean the old amp setup? I am not sure I understand the ask. I am more than happy to share photos if I understand what you are looking for.

BTW, these subs are the W15GTIMKII subs. They are the 3rd gen of the GTI subs. These are cult classic subwoofers in the sound quality car audio crowd but do not mistake these for weak subwoofers (I know you were not). These things get downright NASTY when you want to do the SPL thing. I own six of these only two in the blazer and I use them for sound quality with an exceptional ability to get very loud. They simply sound amazing. They are direct descendants of a world renown JBL Pro audio driver but I cannot think of what the model number was. They were used in professional venues and take tons of abuse. These were basically the same design but modified for a car environment.
My mistake I thought the stereo was coming out. Let me rephrase: any pics of the current amp setup?
I am familiar with the woofers, the installer at a shop I used to deal with had a pair in his hatchback powered with the amps that JBL/Crown were collaborating on at the time, can't recall the specs but it was properly loud.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:21 PM   #46
PowerdbyChevy79

Subscribed.
1979 C10 Silverado "The BIG TEN" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841339
1982 C10 Silverado "Lucy"
C10 Club Texas -HMIC
PowerdbyChevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:25 PM   #47
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
My mistake I thought the stereo was coming out. Let me rephrase: any pics of the current amp setup?
I am familiar with the woofers, the installer at a shop I used to deal with had a pair in his hatchback powered with the amps that JBL/Crown were collaborating on at the time, can't recall the specs but it was properly loud.
Amps are dual JL Audio HD1200/1's and dual HD 600/4's.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:17 PM   #48
NDM

YES!!!!
I have just approved an offer for what will be my new career! I am getting a very large pay bump and will be working from home 95% of the time.
My Blazer is going to be getting the works very soon!!!!

My mother says that I am blessed. My old Military Chief used to say that I have a golden horseshoe up my ass....I realize that both of them are very correct. Either way, I am very excited that I can get back to life after what has been 144 days since I went to work last. As a very high energy person, living life without a mission is very bad for me. I am glad that I will have a place to use up all this energy again!

ADHD....a blessing and a curse! Mostly blessing though!
Old 04-20-2024, 11:31 AM   #49
LT7A

Quote:
YES!!!!
I have just approved an offer for what will be my new career! I am getting a very large pay bump and will be working from home 95% of the time.
My Blazer is going to be getting the works very soon!!!!

My mother says that I am blessed. My old Military Chief used to say that I have a golden horseshoe up my ass....I realize that both of them are very correct. Either way, I am very excited that I can get back to life after what has been 144 days since I went to work last. As a very high energy person, living life without a mission is very bad for me. I am glad that I will have a place to use up all this energy again!

ADHD....a blessing and a curse! Mostly blessing though!
Congratulations! That sounds really good. Ok to ask what the new career is?

It kinda sounds like you could drop that motor into something like a 3rd Camaro and have what you're looking for driving-wise. Converting a 4x4 to a lifted 2x because you like the height but want to autocross sounds like you're putting that very cool rig into an identity crisis. How about just fix it up as is?

Can we see pictures of the Buick? It sounds cool.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:04 PM   #50
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Congratulations! That sounds really good. Ok to ask what the new career is?

It kinda sounds like you could drop that motor into something like a 3rd Camaro and have what you're looking for driving-wise. Converting a 4x4 to a lifted 2x because you like the height but want to autocross sounds like you're putting that very cool rig into an identity crisis. How about just fix it up as is?

Can we see pictures of the Buick? It sounds cool.
I will be in the building automation industry as a project manager.

For your other comments, it basically boils down to this. I made a decision to stop buying and driving new cars. It was based on the insane cost of cars these days vs value that you get. I realized that I could build a badass restomod and drive it daily for half of what a new car would cost. That restomod would outlast these modern cars and be way cooler too!

So as far as my Blazer, it will be my daily driver on steroids. I am dead set on swapping the motor for reliability reasons and the fact that I will have a boatload of modern, fuel efficient power and I will not have to worry about driving anywhere from NY to Cali. I can drive mountains, desert and by the sea with out any worry. The motor that I have is getting like 18-20 mpg in 7,000lb trucks so I am sure that it will be awesome in my roughly 4,000lb Blazer.

Now as far as 4x4 vs 2wd, I am not dead set on either really. I wanted the 2wd version but they are hard to come by. When I found my 4x4, it was in such great shape that I could not resist. As I drove it, I realized that I really like it. The thing is, I have put it into 4wd once since owning it. I am not opposed to keeping it but it will cost me about $3000 more to keep it because of various adapters and two custom driveshafts. Not to mention I need to rebuild and modify my NP205 to accept the adapters. I could just run the new motor with the th350 but that makes no sense. I went from a th350 to a 6l90E in my Regal and it is honestly no comparison. The extra 3 speeds and overdrive are 100% worth it.

The last final point is the suspension. If I keep 4x4 I will 100% be blowing a bunch of cash on the suspension. I definitely do not like the way it handles and rides. To understand what I like you can look to my past. I deeply loved the suspension in both of my SRT jeeps. If I could make my blazer handle and ride just like my last SRT jeep, I would be over the moon. I am not an off road guy. I like vehicles that thrash the streets. If I could make my Blazer into a Typhoon or Syclone style AWD monster I would be thrilled.

So there you have it. I appreciate everyone that thinks that I should just restore it. I appreciate those that say slam it and go 2wd. It all boils down to what I want though. If I had someone that was sending me the $$$$$$$$$$$ to build it, it would be one thing. But it is my money and I will be the one that drives it. I went through a similar debate when I was deciding what to do with my Buick. Some were fighting for me to put a 455 in it. I decided to go with what I want and could not be happier! It has QA1 dual adjustable shocks on all 4 corners (front coilovers) and is a real sleeper. 6.0 fires every time and really scoots when ever I ask it to. I aim to have the same with my Blazer.

Wow....sorry for the drawn out response!!!