The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2024, 03:10 AM   #1
Darkrider

Re: '84 Chevy Custom Deluxe 10...

Pretty much all the above plans got scrapped as I drive this thing as a DD and enjoy it as is. Over the summer I did end up installing the Grant GT wheel as is and gained a nice bit of space between myself and it in the process then during the early part of the winter I ended up wiring in a push button to take over for a heavily worn out ignition switch in the column. However, I now face a crossroads as it's getting a bit more difficult to get parts to maintain the Olds 350. The biggest issue is finding the proper starter for it. I ended up with an unplanned week off from all my work because of no starter. In the process of swapping out a failed solenoid, the original starter I had rebuilt last winter ended up getting one of the mounting ears cracked to the point it was nearly completely torn off. This occurred when my landlord got a bit...too aggressive with tightening the bolts that secured it. He had offered to help me fix the starter and this situation happened while I was working on some wiring under the hood to clean up the push button install. Did get the ear welded up as best as possible then managed to luck out and get another nose cone for the starter the same day. However, they are now completely obsolete so if something happens again I am screwed. And before anyone says they are available on Rock Auto or Amazon...they are not. What the part numbers on Rock Auto and Amazon come out to be is a starter for a newer engine likely a 307 with the metric flexplate. The Bendix gear of this starter is too small to engage the flex plate. However...there is a distinct possibility that one for a 455 may still have the correct Bendix gear as it appears to in all the pictures I have seen on both sites for that application. I may take a chance on ordering one for a big block and keeping it on hand as a spare. I am just uncertain if it uses the same mounting locations as the 350.

As to what will likely happen come fall once I start driving something else again so i can do the work:
Short tube headers for a 403 Trans Am application to start setting up a new exhaust
Rebuild the TH400 and have it upgraded to a Transgo Stage II shift kit
Replace all leaking gaskets on the 350 Olds
replace the cracked flexplate when the trans is out.
Left side fuel tank delete and routing new exhaust to exit out that side just ahead of the rear wheel.

Potential options, if I decide against keeping the Olds in it, include going back to a 305 High Output from my old Jimmy with a TH700R4 or possibly an NV3500 5 speed. Otherwise that 305 may end up in my '86 Trans Am to replace its unknown condition 305 TPI with a known good carbed engine.
Darkrider is online now   Reply With Quote