The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
rcsbls2

Is there a new Trend in Wheels?

I am the proud owner of a 2007 Silverado Short Box. As my daily driver it gets to live in Michigan with me!!

When new <1000 miles I installed a Bell Tech 4-7 inch lowering kit. In the winter months I run the factory 17" rims. Then come early April I can Get out my American Racing 20" Wheels for the summer months. With it lowered and 2 wd the snowy winter roads are a challenge (actually can push snow with front spoiler), but I love the lowered look .
Name:  DCFC0008.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  73.7 KB

Last week I got the new issue of Truckin Magazine and it appears that more and more manufactures of wheels are showing more colors. Lots of black but some green, blue, red and orange accents. My wheels have been on the truck for 7 years and are beginning to peel. The magazine had an article showing this going on and they blasted and sanded wheels, then powder primer applied to them and sanded to level the missing chrome. Followed that with semi gloss black power coated them.

So I have an idea. I am all about Chrome Wheels. Black does not do anything for me. So here is my wild idea!! What if I go to bright red wheels? I could put them in blast cabinet, sand out some to try and blend chrome. Then possibly get a coat of powder primer, sand that and coat with Gloss red powder.
Can somebody photoshop my wheels to see the look? I know there is a photo shop section but I'll start here where these trucks are discussed.
Name:  DCFC0009.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  73.0 KB

So what do we think? Good Idea? Bad idea ? Lots of dollars for new.

Maybe beat manufactures to the punch!!!
rcsbls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Is there a new Trend in Wheels?

I will stick with my 20" chrome rims on my black lowered 2011. I bought a beater to poound around in the snow and be a "Bambi Beater".
Old 11-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Tropical Snowstorm
Lurky lurky

I love black wheels on a red truck, the trend is definitely going to accents and more colors. I see body color wheels all over the place on the road but it just always seems like too much for me.
Tropical Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
rcsbls2

I posted in Photoshop section .

Thank You to Scorp for doing this!!!!!

So I'll say its different. Have to look at a few times till I form opinion.

Would like to hear all of your impressions. Good or bad?

Name:  ru_zpsd4705800painted wheels.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  58.6 KB
Old 11-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

On your truck, I'd leave the lip chrome and paint the spokes gun metal grey…
Like this

The red is too much IMO…

2020 Silverado Trail Boss - 6.2/10spd
Dalaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
BabyBlue
The Peacemaker

Agreed, if you are keeping those wheels and are just looking to change the color a bit I'd go with a gunmetal or darker grey spokes and a polished or chrome lip and center.
79k original miles & being restored

1979 Chevy 2wd Short Wide
aka "Emma-Jayne"
Cordova brown with mandarin guts

2019 Chevy Tahoe LT

Previous rides:
-2002 Firehawk T/A, 2006 Trailblazer SS AWD, 2014 GMC Sierra RCSB, 1971 2wd Blazer, 1996 SNB, 1997 2dr 2wd Yukon, 2001 Silverado RCSB, 2011 Silverado Z71 4x4, 1982 2wd Blazer, 1997 2dr Tahoe, 1970 Chevelle SS, 1972 2wd Blazer, 1986 Silverado Stepside, 1995 S-10, 1985 Silverado SWB.
BabyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
rcsbls2

Thanks for comments!!

I agree the Red is too much. BUT!!!!

The front wheels have chrome peeling at base of spokes where they meet rim. Actually going back to the wheels history. They were on a truck that a young friend of mine bought in about 2003. He went to the bar and when he came out the road was covered with snow...What do you do???

Show off!!!, slide it into curb, Hard enough to break two of the wheels off. So he took all the wheels off, put winter stockers on and left salt and dirt on the remaining 2.

So when I purchased my truck I inquired as to where are his wheels. He gave them to me!!! I went out and bought 2 new ones for the rear.

But corrosion had set in. I cleaned an polished the best I could but they didn't look good. The following fall I tried to find someone to replace the chrome. Could not find anyone local .... shipped them to California!!!! Came back , not a super job but looked better. They had stick on weights on inside of rims, back side and they didn't remove the adhesive. A few flaws in Faces but much better than before.

Then during 3rd season after rechrome ...... began lifting and peeling. Talked to guy who did them and told the salt will always be in metal and nothing I can do.

So now I have gotten 8 seasons on the set and just looking to extend their life. I would have chrome wheels forever if I could. Looking for options!!!