The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #526
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Where is it located on the hood and send me pic in my email. Tell me the details is it high, low, or level. Is it oil canning?
It's in the back and it'soil canning. I was thinking of using some fiberglass resin on the underside but that might not be the correct way to do it.

Tri5
Old 09-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #527
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd View Post
It's in the back and it'soil canning. I was thinking of using some fiberglass resin on the underside but that might not be the correct way to do it.

Tri5

Did you use your hammer and dolly along the HAZ area when you sectioned your hood? if not do that first because your issue could be there. You will be shocked what hammer and dolly work on the HAZ will do for you. Go there first before you get more drastic. Remember simple to drastic not the other way around. Was the problem there before you sectioned the hood? if not start with what changed. Sometimes we make more work for ourselves by doing the drastic thing first.

Is your hood bracing installed? If the hood bracing is install and it did not make it stiff and its still oil canning. Try shrinking the area, but be careful and don't go over board. Patience is a virtue here a little at a time my tool of choice would be a shrinking disc don't use pressure let the tool do the work and don't get nutty about it.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 09-27-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #528
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

I have a disc and will try that. The issue was there with the brace on before I did the section. I'll email you later.

Tri5

Quote:
Is you hood bracing installed? If the hood bracing is install and it did not make it stiff and its still oil canning. Try shrinking the area, but be careful and don't go over board. Patience is a virtue here a little at a time my tool of choice would be a shrinking disc don't use pressure let the tool do the work and don't get nutty about it.lol

But before you do that did you use your hammer and dolly along the HAZ area when you sectioned your hood? if not do that first because your issue could be there.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #529
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Ok now what is oil canning? Its not like im anywhere near doing bodywork or how to do bodywork, but I do have questions.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #530
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Ok now what is oil canning? Its not like im anywhere near doing bodywork or how to do bodywork, but I do have questions.
Oil canning is when the metal has lost some of its rigidness and when you push it, it will easily go down and pop back up like the old oil cans.

Does that answer your question trouble marker.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 03-19-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #531
xpickup

Kabwe, Boy you guys are hard on each other in the 55-59 section. There must be alot of trouble makers in this area. HAHA

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #532
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
Kabwe, Boy you guys are hard on each other in the 55-59 section. There must be alot of trouble makers in this area. HAHA

Shannon
LOL. I noticed it got quiet in this thread.lol Its all in fun, we just play rough sometimes but we have sense of humors. It's all in fun. If you think this is rough you should see how BCToyBox and I talk to each other.lol My wife just shakes her head, but he is my brother from another mother. But don't tell him that.lol

BTW trouble maker is the nickname I gave VDOG he even answers to it now.lol When he calls me I say Whats up trouble maker or he says this is trouble maker.lol
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #533
xpickup

Kabwe, I figured you guys were joking with each other. There are a lot of great people on here. I find myself checking in all day long to see what is new. I think i am addicted to it like people are to facebook. At least you learn something from this. Keep up the great work.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #534
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
LOL. I noticed it got quiet in this thread....

Everyone's out getting their popcorn to eat while watching the fight. Cage match we hear. I hope you're pretty damn big or very damn mean, or can run real fast cause Larry's a big dude!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #535
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
Kabwe, I figured you guys were joking with each other. There are a lot of great people on here. I find myself checking in all day long to see what is new. I think i am addicted to it like people are to facebook. At least you learn something from this. Keep up the great work.

Shannon
Yeah there really are some cool people on here and I have gotten to meet some of them in person. I've met Tri5nerd, Vdog, Kim57, Chevyrestroguy, kustombrad, BajaBob, and hotrod1. They all are cool people. Dan in Pasadena told me he saw me at a car show but ran the other way.lol

My question is what are you learning on here because you sure are teaching us what really nice work is. The work you are doing is really nice man. Yes it is addicting I spend a lot of time on here checking out stuff and messing with my buddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Everyone's out getting their popcorn to eat while watching the fight. Cage match we hear. I hope you're pretty damn big or very damn mean, or can run real fast cause Larry's a big dude!
And there you go Dan the play ground instigator. The one that when people are circling you push them into each other to get the action started and than act all innocent.lol

I'm not worried about Tri5nerd, I can run pretty fast.lol I had 4 big brothers so I learned how to talk crap and run at an early age. But when they caught me, that was bad really bad.lol

I still didn't shut up and that made things worst.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 09-28-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #536
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Man this is fun!

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #537
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
Man this is fun!
Oh I've seen your sarcasm and you are a professional my friend, so I see why you would find humor in it.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #538
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:

And there you go Dan the play ground instigator. The one that when people are circling you push them into each other to get the action started and than act all innocent.lol
Who? ME??!!

Uh...Yo no hablo Ingles, senor!

Now don't be telling stories on me. I didn't "run the other way" I just didn't want to walk up and say, "Hey which of you three guys is "Kabwe" because you're the only three black dudes I've seen at this show?"

That woulda been an insensitive A-hole thing to do. (It was bad enough that it was an A-hole thing to think!) But you had said you'd be there and I hadn't seen anyone else PLUS you don't take pictures of yourself when you post about your truck so I couldn't recognize you. I DID/DO want to meet you and now how am I gonna do it at an Inglewood show?! Now that could get tricky!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #539
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I DID/DO want to meet you and now how am I gonna do it at an Inglewood show?! Now that could get tricky!
LOL. That is the funniest thing I heard all day.lol How are you going to pick a black guy out of all the black guys in Inglewood. That is some funny sh!t right there. I just want to see you try.lol

I even like how you set that joke up.lol Just walk up and say which one of you black guys is BAM or Kabwe.lol

Dan I really don't think that would have made you insensitive, I think you were being overly sensitive. I know I'm black and I know not many of us were at the show. I'm always aware of my surroundings.

I notice people are white, black, latin, or whatever. I just don't care. I only care if they are good people, but that does not mean I don't notice.lol It does not make you insensitive to notice I'm a black guy. What makes people buttheads is how the treat people.

Okay back to trucks.

Last edited by Kabwe; 09-28-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #540
Indian113

This is getting strange Now!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #541
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
This is getting strange Now!
Yeah but life is strange.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #542
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

See there you go again Mr. Philosopher! I just want to see some more pretty pictures and Dan I'm not a big guy, more fat than anything.

BTW: Where is the othre trouble maker BCToyBox

Tri5
Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #543
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
See there you go again Mr. Philosopher! I just want to see some more pretty pictures and Dan I'm not a big guy, more fat than anything.

BTW: Where is the othre trouble maker BCToyBox

Tri5
There you go again starting more trouble and I will agree with the fat part.lol How did it go with the hood?

BCToyBox is in South Carolina. He will be back soon for me to ridicule.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #544
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
There you go again starting more trouble and I will agree with the fat part.lol How did it go with the hood?

BCToyBox is in South Carolina. He will be back soon for me to ridicule.
Thanks, I needed that, you really know how to make me feel special calling me fat.
I didn't get to it yesterday, I'm in computer hell at home with cleaning family members computers. Everyone, stop going to sites you don't know about and don't open emails from sources you don't know.

Tri5
Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #545
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Thanks, I needed that, you really know how to make me feel special calling me fat.
I didn't get to it yesterday, I'm in computer hell at home with cleaning family members computers. Everyone, stop going to sites you don't know about and don't open emails from sources you don't know.

Tri5
Yeah I'm in the same boat. When you do this computer crap for a living all tech work falls to you.lol My daughters and my wife's laptop are having issues that I have to solve. I tried to tell her I see enough computers at work and I really don't want to see them at home, but for some reason she doesn't listen to me. I get drama and guilt trips "Aw don't worry daddy's gonna fix your latop". So you know what I have to do shut up and fix it.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #546
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Hey, if you bozos quit typing all this garbage and get back to work, we all will be able to see some of more of your beautiful fab work and maybe your truck will be a little closer to being finished. LOL
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #547
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
Hey, if you bozos quit typing all this garbage and get back to work, we all will be able to see some of more of your beautiful fab work and maybe your truck will be a little closer to being finished. LOL
Oh another Cali trouble maker, but he is right. I don't know about the beautiful fab work part but truck work is in order. BTW hotrod1 I posted more pics of the truck you liked in that thread.

Last edited by Kabwe; 09-28-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #548
hotrod1
56 - autocross

I appreciate it. It sure is beautiful. I cant see enough different ideas. I like to see where I am going to go with the build.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #549
mknittle

Quote:
Oil canning is when the metal has lost some of its rigidness and when you push it, it will easily go down and pop back up like the old oil cans. You can get this affect when welding in a patch panel and usually if you hammer on dolly (stretch) on the HAZ (heat affected area) you can stop the oil canning affect. Because the HAZ is pulling the two pieces together so when you stretch it (hammer on dolly) it will release the tension that is causing the oil canning. Now in Tri5nerds case he said the panel was doing that before he welded it in.

Does that answer your question trouble marker.lol
that is a good easy to understand answer

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #550
mknittle

Quote:
LOL. That is the funniest thing I heard all day.lol How are you going to pick a black guy out of all the black guys in Inglewood. That is some funny sh!t right there. I just want to see you try.lol

I even like how you set that joke up.lol Just walk up and say which one of you black guys is BAM or Kabwe.lol

Dan I really don't think that would have made you insensitive, I think you were being overly sensitive. I know I'm black and I know not many of us were at the show. I'm always aware of my surroundings.

I notice people are white, black, latin, or whatever. I just don't care. I only care if they are good people, but that does not mean I don't notice.lol It does not make you insensitive to notice I'm a black guy. What makes people buttheads is how the treat people.

Okay back to trucks.
Very well said.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote