The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #726
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods57 View Post
Hey Bam, i think i remember you saying you had aftermarket outer door skins, but yo made your own? If that's correct, what was the issue with the aftermarket ones? If that's not correct well then i am just crazy....
It was really thin and flimsy in my opinion, so I made my own. Yes you are crazy but that's another subject.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-27-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #727
bajabob

I with vdog on the Truck Shop. I was treated pretty badly down there when I was spending cold hard cash (maybe just a disgruntled employee??)....... To many other shops (like Brothers) to buy from.

We need photos........
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #728
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabob View Post
I with vdog on the Truck Shop. I was treated pretty badly down there when I was spending cold hard cash (maybe just a disgruntled employee??)....... To many other shops (like Brothers) to buy from.

We need photos........
Well, I don't mean to pile on, but I'm in the middle of a problem with the Truck Shop right now. I think it will be my last order from them.

Ditto on the photos......
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:13 AM   #729
BC Toy chest

You got about 3 pages straight of yakity yak, that's cool an all but we need pictures butt head . I'm coming over this week end to take some pictures, you don't have to be there I know how to let myself in

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #730
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Toy chest View Post
You got about 3 pages straight of yakity yak, that's cool an all but we need pictures butt head . I'm coming over this week end to take some pictures, you don't have to be there I know how to let myself in
Well since I know you are living your life through my progress, I will make sure I never post another picture.lol

As far as you coming over and letting yourself in, my dog would love a live bite. So you are welcome to try.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #731
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Bam, I haven't been online much this weekend. First, a belated Happy Birthday to you! Hope it was a nice one for you.

Just as a counter voice: I use The Truck Shop almost exclusively and have had NO problems with them at all. I am a walk-in because I go down to north Orange COunty every week to visit my mom and while I'm there I'll drop in if I need something. So I've never dealt with their shipping. But in person/ Always very nice and helpful. (Maybe they just like me better!! lol)
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #732
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Hi Bam, I haven't been online much this weekend. First, a belated Happy Birthday to you! Hope it was a nice one for you.

Just as a counter voice: I use The Truck Shop almost exclusively and have had NO problems with them at all. I am a walk-in because I go down to north Orange COunty every week to visit my mom and while I'm there I'll drop in if I need something. So I've never dealt with their shipping. But in person/ Always very nice and helpful. (Maybe they just like me better!! lol)
Thanks man and it was a good birthday with the exception of BCToyBox calling me.lol

Yeah I never had an issue with The Car and Truck Shop either but I know a lot of people who have, a lot of people. So I think where theres smoke there's fire. I must admit I've never found them helpful or nice. I just know what I want when I go and they go get it and I'm cool.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-29-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #733
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Since I have not posted any pics in a while I just wanted share the tedious part of the work I've been doing. I metal finished this fender and applied filler, epoxy primer, and high build primer.
Before

After epoxy and high build primer

It's still a lot more work to do on this fender but that's why they call it work. It needs to be blocked sanded and maybe another round of primer and block again I see imperfections that need to be addressed. It has to be perfect before paint if there are imperfections here paint will magnify them. So I'll concentrate on one piece at a time.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #734
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Looking good Bam. Keep at it, one day it'll be done.

Tri5
Old 11-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #735
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
.... I think where there's smoke there's fire.
Yeah, probably true. Too bad, cause if they'd get their customer service right they could probably just about corner the market with so many local guys into trucks. I'll never understand that: When businesses don't "get" that the customer can go to many other palces that sell the EXACT same product, all you're TRULY selling is your service and demeanor. Seems an easy concept to me, "The customer's always right". There's a reason that became a truism.

Quote:
.... I just know what I want when I go and they go get it and I'm cool.lol
Yeah, that's how it goes with me there too so maybe I'm being naive in thinking they're fine.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #736
Dan in Pasadena

To me; not having your metal working skills, that fender is miraculous. THREE good sized patches (that I can see), the trim & signal holes welded shut and to still be able to make it look that good is amazing.

Remind me again, once down to bare metal like these pic's show, what is the first primer you're putting on? Then what goes on after since you're taking so long before the final finish will go on? WOul that work for me actually driving the truck a few years until I get it where I want it?
Old 11-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #737
docrock

looking great. thanks for posting a pick I thought this had changed to a chat page

1942 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429494

R.I.P. TOM SEFFRON 68 FOUR DOOR http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=495438

1942 Chevy that ate my brain 70 Chassis https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835250
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #738
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
To me; not having your metal working skills, that fender is miraculous. THREE good sized patches (that I can see), the trim & signal holes welded shut and to still be able to make it look that good is amazing.

Remind me again, once down to bare metal like these pic's show, what is the first primer you're putting on? Then what goes on after since you're taking so long before the final finish will go on? WOul that work for me actually driving the truck a few years until I get it where I want it?
Oh that fender is no where near finished but I got it in high build primer so I'm happy. The steps I did was metal finished the best I could (hammer and dolly work) so that it would not lot of filler, then I epoxy primed it, then filler over epoxy, blocked the filler, then epoxy again (because while blocking the filler you will hit bare metal in some spots), and then I use high fill primer, which needs to be blocked. That's where this fender is this point.

What goes on after? It depends on how straight the fender is after my next blocking session.lol Most likely another coat of high fill and block that out. My last blocking session will be with 600 grit before I can shoot color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrock View Post
looking great. thanks for posting a pick I thought this had changed to a chat page
It has and I'm sorry for that, but its hard to take pics of block sanding. The fender is no where near ready but I figure any pic is better than no pics.
Plus I consider a lot of these guys my internet buddies so we play around alot.

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-29-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #739
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for the recap...again, Bam. This time I cut and pasted your response over to the page I keep with all tech ideas, sources for parts, links to pictures I liked. I keep it to consult as I go from item to item on my truck and I think I could do a LOT worse than following your example.

EDIt: Oh and P.S. What brand/type of epoxy, high fill primers and brand of filler? (Sorry to be such a PITA, but hey...'ya gotta go with your strengths! Yours is bulding cars and trucks, mine happens to be being a PITA! lol)
Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #740
Kim57

It's about time you posted a pic of your progress.
Looks great.
Kim
Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #741
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:

EDIt: Oh and P.S. What brand/type of epoxy, high fill primers and brand of filler? (Sorry to be such a PITA, but hey...'ya gotta go with your strengths! Yours is bulding cars and trucks, mine happens to be being a PITA! lol)
Man don't trip, ask me what ever you need to. I use SPI epoxy primer and high fill primers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Looks great.
Kim
Yeah, yeah. Its not much to post but maybe someone is interested. I don't know.lol
Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #742
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Looks great.
Kim
DITTO!!!! ON THE PIC POST.

Bam I did not know it was your b'day, happy belated. Now that we have dispenced with the pleasentries, get back to work so we can see more pics.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #743
oldman3

Hey thanks for posting the pics, that's the type of stuff we like to look at, going from patches of metal to a good usable fender. I check your post each day and was glad to see the pics, nice job....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #744
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
I check your post each day and was glad to see the pics, nice job....Jim
Now you know that's just too much pressure.lol Checking my thread each day to see pics? Thats just too much pressure for a home builder who works alone. I'm lucky if I make it out to the garage once a week.lol
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #745
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
DITTO!!!! ON THE PIC POST.

Bam I did not know it was your b'day, happy belated. Now that we have dispenced with the pleasentries, get back to work so we can see more pics.
Oh vdog I forgot to say thanks for the b'day comment and forget you about the other comments.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #746
oldman3

Quote:
Now you know that's just too much pressure.lol Checking my thread each day to see pics? Thats just too much pressure for a home builder who works alone. I'm lucky if I make it out to the garage once a week.lol
No pressure, just like the pics when you get something done, I'm subscribed so you pop up on my E-mail each time.....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #747
duallyjams

Dec bump for a great build thread with a lot of good ideas and mods in witch to borrow and learn from.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #748
bajabob

Bam
In picture #1 I can see you are using what looks like a new piece of equipment to hold up the fender while you work on it. Please advise what it is and where you got it.....

ps
The chitty chat is the only reason I come around here, the photos, they are so-so.....
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #749
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
Dec bump for a great build thread with a lot of good ideas and mods in witch to borrow and learn from.
Thanks man
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabob View Post
Bam
In picture #1 I can see you are using what looks like a new piece of equipment to hold up the fender while you work on it. Please advise what it is and where you got it.....

ps
The chitty chat is the only reason I come around here, the photos, they are so-so.....
LOL. That is my clever idea of a lawn chair/fender brace I think I'm going to patent it.lol

The second stands if anyone is interested I made from conduit from home depot that I bent to make stands. It is strong, cheap and very easy to make I made three of them for about 20 bucks.

Last edited by Kabwe; 12-05-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #750
duallyjams

My first 2 cars were both 56 chevy's I really like the dash it looks like it's factory.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote