The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
C10Silverado79

Should I stick with stock carb or aftermarket?

I'm looking for some opinions from those who know much more than I do. I'm planning on using my truck for a mix of occasional commuting, hauling, and towing. I'm looking for reliability, and as decent of mileage as I can get with a 350 but still have some power when it's needed.

Do I go with a rebuilt stock carb or is there some other brand/model that might be better to install? I'm not looking to do a major rebuild. I'd just like to get the motor running as well as possible.

Thanks,
Steve
C10Silverado79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
msgross

Re: Should I stick with stock carb or aftermarket?

As far as decent mileage with power when you need it I don't think there is anything wrong with a rebuilt quadrajet style carb. Check NAPA... Why not just have yours rebuilt?
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 02-18-2010 at 10:46 AM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
raws67

I agree I like a good quadrajet. As long as you dont always lay in to those secondaries you will get decent mileage from one.
raws67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

anything aftermarket will not give you decent mileage... then again these trucks do not give you decent gas mileage..stick with the quadrajet

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
suville

Definately Q-jet!And I would highly recommend SMI.
www.smicarburetor.com
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
C10Silverado79

yea, I know I'll never get great milage with the truck but I want to get the best that I can. So far it's pretty unanimous to keep the Q-jet. That is ok by me, I just did not want to spend some $$$ on it only to find that for a couple $$ more I could have had something more suitable.

Are the Q-jet's difficult to rebuild? Is it worth the effort or am I better off just buying a rebuilt one?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
camshaftgsxr

Am i the only one here who doesn't like Q-jets?

but for gas milage i'd go stock Q with a fresh rebuild
Old 02-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
60ratrod
yes, i do

as with the some on this board and most in this thread, keep the q-jet. but if i'm going to be replacing the carb for any reason what so ever then i go with the simple edelbrocks. but a good and properly rebuilt and tuned q-jet can out perform any aftermarket on the road

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
MTCK

One more vote for the q-jet. More important that carb x or y is to get it running perfectly. I was having erratic performance with mine and dug into the distributor to find the mechanical advance was rusty and one spring was broken causing it to be stuck with no advance.... There are some good books to walk you through a rebuild. I would check out amazon or your local book store. If this is your daily driver I like my quadrajet for it's cold weather performance. The high idle is nice. Make sure you have the proper jets for your application and you will be happy with the mileage and throttle response with the small primaries.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
msgross

I assume that you already have HEI as well? If not then you can't go wrong with that upgrade...

rebuild kits for Q-jets are cheap, get a new float and a book and try it out... There are some tips online about sealing it up better than stock too...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
C10Silverado79

One more question for you guys. Would it be worth the trouble/effort to look for a newer TBI setup?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
60ratrod
yes, i do

factory tbi setups are getting easier to install on older vehicles today. all you really need is either the tbi intake or and adapter. then its just swapping in the harness and ecu

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
qu1cks1lver56

Holley 600 vacuum secondary is where its at. I have one and the fuel economy isn't too bad, and the power is definitely there. And I know how to work on a holley, get me around a quadrajet and I'm lost.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
spinem
haha, ford guys...

stock quadrabog will give u better mpg, holley or ebrock will give u more power, less mpg. (were talking 2gpm and like 10hp) no huge numbers, but still, numbers.

DONT GO TO NAPA!!!!!! ive seen about 1 in 4 good carbs while working there, have yours rebuilt. 200 bucks usually.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #15
Kaysenmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinem View Post
(were talking 2gpm and like 10hp) no huge numbers, but still, numbers

2 gallons per mile is alot!!

I have rebuilt alot of quadrajets and they are really fairly simple once you get into them. Pick up a good rebuild kit and new float (this will run around 30 bucks) and tear into it. Just take your time and you can do it.
Kaysenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #16
raws67

One of the biggest problems with the quadrajet rebuild is if it has worn throttle shafts so pay attention to that if you decide to rebuild your factory q-jet. I like to pull them apart and soak them overnight in hot soapy water and then take a brush and clean away. Then if the wife doesnt find out I throw the big parts in the dishwasher and let em get nice and clean. For a final clean I spray all the ports with carb clean then blow them out with compressed air. They are a very simple carb once you get the hang of them. I have to believe there was a reason GM put em on every model for many many years. There just a damn good carb and a properly rebuilt one works great.
raws67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
C10Silverado79

Sounds like a carb rebuild is problably the most logical choice. I'll have to wait and see if I want to rebuild myself or buy a rebuild carb. Regardless, nothing is happening till this flippin weather warms up.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #18
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinem
View Post
(were talking 2gpm and like 10hp) no huge numbers, but still, numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysenmc View Post
2 gallons per mile is alot!!

I have rebuilt alot of quadrajets and they are really fairly simple once you get into them. Pick up a good rebuild kit and new float (this will run around 30 bucks) and tear into it. Just take your time and you can do it.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
Mike C

Another vote for the Q-jet.

I have run 750 Holleys, 600 Holleys, 650 Holleys, stock Q-jets, and currently a JET Stage II 750 cfm Q-jet on my Jimmy. Hands down the JET is the winner in driveability and economy. I noticed no power difference either. But the motor is not a maximum output effort, but a max drivability package. VERY happy with the JET.

I ran the same JET carb on my 70 402 truck and was equally pleased there. Currently I picked up a Summit electric choke Q-jet for my 86 K30 454 but have not installed it to be able to comment. But one thing I know, it will be a DRAMATIC improvement over the 750 Holley the previous owner installed that might only get 25% throttle because they kludged the linkage. Which is just one more reason to stick with a Q-jet.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Another vote for the Quadrajet, but don't buy a reman. There's a lot of junk coming over the counters that really needs to go straight to the junkyard. Get yours rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing or do it yourself if you like.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #21
longbedrick

convert to a 2 barrel carb and intake. then you don't have the option of opening up those secondaries
longbedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Also, i'm pretty sure(until convinced otherwise by verifyable proof) that keeping the stock air cleaner assembly is going to get you max mpg.

The first thing EVERYONE wants to do is replace the stock aircleaner with some open element thing.

a)i only think this is advantageous, in terms of power, at WOT. And even then on a stock engine, it's not that much more power.

b) The stock aircleaner, if it has a hose attached to the front of the vehicle for cold air, will also provide cold air at WOT because at WOT vacuum goes away---which opens the door on the snorkle, thus only colder air goes to the carb. In this case, the benefits of the open element aircleaner are nullified especially on a stock engine?

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 02-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #23
Slofarmtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
Also, i'm pretty sure(until convinced otherwise by verifyable proof) that keeping the stock air cleaner assembly is going to get you max mpg.

The first thing EVERYONE wants to do is replace the stock aircleaner with some open element thing.

a)i only think this is advantageous, in terms of power, at WOT. And even then on a stock engine, it's not that much more power.

b) The stock aircleaner, if it has a hose attached to the front of the vehicle for cold air, will also provide cold air at WOT because at WOT vacuum goes away---which opens the door on the snorkle, thus only colder air goes to the carb. In this case, the benefits of the open element aircleaner are nullified especially on a stock engine?

I agree but disagree. The snorkle is still the limiting factor in your equation as it only allows so much air into the engine. Now some may argue that increase in air requires an increase in fuel which will negate all the improvements I am trying to make. Well theoretically the more air being drawn into the motor should require the throttle to be opened less therefore using less fuel. Remember the engine is just an air pump. Easier it is to get the air in and out the more efficient the engine runs. I say toss the stock stuff and get yourself a good open element. Now there is the other argument of the open element sucking in only hot air from on top of the engine. This may be true while sitting at a stop light, but while the vehicle is moving it will be sucking in air that is colder than the engine and will have the same if not better effects than the stock snorkel. I know my theory's are rough but I have seen dyno proof to make me a beleiver and not always at WOT.
Slofarmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #24
GMC Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slofarmtruck View Post
I agree but disagree. The snorkle is still the limiting factor in your equation as it only allows so much air into the engine. Now some may argue that increase in air requires an increase in fuel which will negate all the improvements I am trying to make. Well theoretically the more air being drawn into the motor should require the throttle to be opened less therefore using less fuel. Remember the engine is just an air pump. Easier it is to get the air in and out the more efficient the engine runs. I say toss the stock stuff and get yourself a good open element. Now there is the other argument of the open element sucking in only hot air from on top of the engine. This may be true while sitting at a stop light, but while the vehicle is moving it will be sucking in air that is colder than the engine and will have the same if not better effects than the stock snorkel. I know my theory's are rough but I have seen dyno proof to make me a beleiver and not always at WOT.
x2
when that fan is pushing mass amounts of cold air into the engine, the open element is sucking it right down the carb. but i also see the "ram air" theory. i thought about running that dual snorkel air cleaner with a open lid like a K&N. that way, theoretically, you would get the best of both worlds.

oh and another vote for the Q-Jet.
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
............._____l __\__
..............l_(O)_ l___(O)]

Last edited by GMC Guy; 02-20-2010 at 04:06 PM.
GMC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #25
MTCK

Another thought on the snorkle (and the reason I run one in the winter) is that you can feed your carb a more consistent density (temp) of air. This is very important when you are tuning for performance or efficiency and in PA I bet you see 40-50 degrees of temp swing in a month during the winter? There is a temp switch inside your air box that controls the flapper as well as vacuum, so the engine will pull cool air once it is warmed up regardless of throttle position. You should be able to do one tune of your idle air mixture and then leave it if your snorkle is working properly.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote