The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
cashforclunkers

"Big Red" 70'/04' GMC crew cab duramax build

As the title states. I'm working on a long-term dream build 'big red' 70'/04' GMC. This will definitely take me several years to complete.

Plans/specs:
70' GMC suburban custom donor truck
4 door mega crew cab conversion
04' gmc 3500 2wd dually 16k lb. c&c frame/running gear
LLY duramax 6.6 Diesel
ZF6 2wd manual 6 speed transmission
CUCV 35 spline dana 60 solid front axle leaf sprung
divorced np205d transfercase
Steel 8x8 flatbed/utility bed
~36" tires

The 04' I picked up a few years ago from a heavy equipment lot in northern NH. it was a tree service truck and had a 12' utility bed on it and 300k miles. The truck needed a throw-out bearing and the dual-mass flywheel was falling apart. I drove it home 250 miles with no clutch. I paid $2500 and sold the bed for $600

Since then i have put a srw bed on it and converted it to 4x4 with a dana 60 front axle and divorced transfercase. Big red has been a great truck and works hard.

The problem is the cab is getting quite rotten and rather than fix a boring 04' truck, why not just go crazy

I had known of a GMC suburban for a while that belonged to a friend's neighbor. Well recently he posted it for sale so I couldn't wait any longer as I didn't want to miss it. I drove my 71 down to look at it last week and I am headed over with the 04' and trailer tonight to get it.

Build thread for my 71 K10: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=8509461

The GMC burb is a cool truck and probably very rare, but it is severely rusted and there was 0 other interest in it. I can't have another vehicle in my fleet with reg and insurance so it will be a donor and parted out.

There is probably 1000lbs of 67-72 and burb specific stuff in the back that will be posted up once I upgrade my membership.

I did some measuring and the 04' from the front axle center-line to back of cab is 113"
My 71 K10 is ~73" center-line to back of cab
A truck door is 39.5" plus the gaps so 40"
71 K10 (73") + another full truck door (40") = 113"!!!

I plan to either use full truck doors for rears or add the difference in behind the burb size doors for that dodge mega cab look.

I also measured inner rocker to inner rocker on both trucks. Both about 67" So I'm wondering if I can use a nice 99-07' crew floor grafted in my 69' cab since it needs one anyways? That way it would bolt right on and have mounts for modern seats. Its up in the air.

I plan to keep using the 04' while I build the 69' cab.

I'm am still kicking around paint schemes. It will be red in some form obviously. I have an idea of using a maroon/red two tone with full upper and lower trim.

I will keep this thread updated as the build progress' with time.

I also need your input and experience! I have been researching and reading all the crew cab builds and diesel chassis swap builds I've come across and saving lots of photos from other builds. This is by far the biggest project I have attempted yet and I know its a lot of work.

Thanks! -Joel
Attached Images

Last edited by cashforclunkers; 05-31-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: wrong year
cashforclunkers is offline   Reply With Quote