The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Rokcrln

Project Big Brother!

Well you guessed it, Low buck is almost done so what did I do today? Yep went out and picked up another project for later. What will some day be his big brother It is a 72 rust free burb sitting on 3/4ton running gear. This thing is in great shape and will lend it self to a few shop builds I have in mind.

Nothing will be getting done on this for awhile but I thought I would put it out their any ways. First thing will be doing a 4th door conversion to it so I can have a good start to finish record of the time and parts involved. Then once that is done I will be cutting the back off and tracking all time and parts needed to convert it to a truck crew cab. The B pillar will already be doe as will the 4th door so the only time really waisted will be the C post on the drivers side but I can remove that and use it later for a customer or somthing.

End result I have in mine right now is this,
4dr crew cab, 2wd, short fleetside bed with step fender fabricated to hide teh dually conversion I will also be doing. Dropmember (already checked w/Nate and it will all work) and bags with 3/4ton dually rotors up front. Out back will be bagged, disked but I have not decided on the suspension yet but it will be set up for heavy hauling. Right now it has HD trailing arms and coil springs mounted to a 68 3/4ton coil diff. Interior will be clean and modern and set up for long hauls. I am thinking about going diesel and may go with a cummins turbo with an AOD. Well thats it for now and for awhile but give me feed back and other thoughts.

Clean but needs some attention all the same. Once the power plant is picked out I will tweak things to match.

I checked it over real well and could not find a bit of rust or damage any were on this thing.

I also looked down into the doors and they were clean as well, no damage.

From the upper body line down and front doors back it is ready for paint, Just not the color they had in mind!

Original rockers on all three doors.

The interior has been jambed and painted, but again the wrong color

Rear doors are in great shape and the opening rods have been rebuilt and are working good.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-18-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Re: Project Big Brother!

Sweet! Looking forward to this one! Hope to see the 2wd Blazer get some love first though
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Sweet! Looking forward to this one! Hope to see the 2wd Blazer get some love first though
Not sure if that wil happen first or not. I have a few guys lined up for 4dr crew cab builds so I need to dial that in first. The way I see it is the Crew cab will bring in money and the Blazer will only spend it. Plus I might need a few scrap parts off the burb for part of the blazer build

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Wow! That is a very solid, clean Burb! Great score!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #5

What about D-max/Allison combo? Keepin' it all "GM" might be cool, although pricey. Modern diesels just make me grin when towing, especially getting on the on-ramps with the pedal buried!
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
Wow! That is a very solid, clean Burb! Great score!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150.4.67 View Post
What about D-max/Allison combo? Keepin' it all "GM" might be cool, although pricey. Modern diesels just make me grin when towing, especially getting on the on-ramps with the pedal buried!

Well my suspension Guru has put a squash on the diesel power plant due to to much weight on the dropmember/rack and pinion set up. The problem is in the rack unit noit being able to handle that kind of weight. But this can maybe be worked around if I reallyu push it So for now back to a boosted (turbo'd or Charger not stolen) 6L and AOD. While I was in the shower I had a thought that I might mock up the Step side fenders on the burb just to see how it would look before chopping off the back half. The body is the same were the fenders would bolt on so no time waisted and they would transfer right over to the short bed later. I have always liked the dually burb look on the 73 and ups.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-18-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
ND_guy
Tool Addiction=Money Shortage

I have enjoyed your builds! I am sure I will like this one too.

I like the idea of a heavy hauler!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Weezer67

Reading your builds are my Friday night entertainment! I know this one will be as great to follow as the rest of your builds. Thanks for the information and the new ideas. This one will be fun!
Weezer67
Dodge City, Kansas
"...dreaming of spring!"
Weezer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #9
abadsvt

Damn Kevin! You are my idol! Nice burb! One question though. What do you do with all the trucks you build or do you just have one hell of a garage? Keep up the great work.

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer67 View Post
Reading your builds are my Friday night entertainment! I know this one will be as great to follow as the rest of your builds. Thanks for the information and the new ideas. This one will be fun!
Weezer67
Dodge City, Kansas
"...dreaming of spring!"
Well it's my entertainment as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
Damn Kevin! You are my idol! Nice burb! One question though. What do you do with all the trucks you build or do you just have one hell of a garage? Keep up the great work.

Josh
Wel so far you all have only seen two of my own vehicals and the rest have been for customers. But I do have decent room for vehicals at my place. My shop stays empty for the most part so I can work on projects and house all my tools and equipment. I have plans for a second floor in the next year or so and that will be were most of my fabricating equipment wil be. I will leave 1/4 of the second floor open to below so I can have a 20' long 4 post lift as well. Then out side I can fit 3 vehicals and my car trailer between my shop and the out house and another 3-5 on the concrete in front of the shop. Then I can put 3 finished vehicals in the driveway (so it does not look to bad) and still have parking in front of my house. I need more room but for now it is very workable.

One more thing on this build that I did not mention before is the roof line. I do not care for the look of burb roofs so it will get re-worked. I would like to find a van or wagon roof with the ribs that has the right shape and look for what I have in mind. This mod will take place as part of the crew cab truck build once everything else with the cab is finished to help keep time seperate.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-19-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #11
Hart_Rod

Great find Kevin! Since the burb is in such good shape why not build it as a burb? I know you only have one child now, but believe me, you'll need the room eventually. I'm sure you could find a Junker burb to do the Crewcab build. JMHO, either way, I'm sure it's going to be a cool project either way you go.

R/
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:57 AM   #12
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Keep this up Kevin and my wife will want to throttle us both with the ideas your different projects give me.

That is a very clean burb, whatever you do with it I'll be looking forward to see the magic being worked!!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 02-19-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:12 AM   #13
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Great find Kevin! Since the burb is in such good shape why not build it as a burb? I know you only have one child now, but believe me, you'll need the room eventually. I'm sure you could find a Junker burb to do the Crewcab build. JMHO, either way, I'm sure it's going to be a cool project either way you go.

R/
4dr Tahoe Prefect for the growing family. Get a burb with rear damage for the crew. But hey, we all know it'll be sweet either way.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 AM   #14
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I am also with Hart Rod,... Build that "1 of 1" 4-door 'burb. I vote 1/2 ton, porterbuilt, bagged grocery getter for the wife or family trips. Make it stock looking with the added door. I see a VERY high resale in your future,... Hmmmm

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:29 AM   #15
Rokcrln

I know what you all are saying and agree with you to a point. I only have one kid and it will be staying that way so I just need room for a friend if that. I also have two customers right now wanting a crew cab build so I need to hone my skills and track my time but I don't want to over look the 4dr burb set up ether. Now the reason I WILL cut up this burb is I am a firm beleaver in start with the best metal you can. I will be putting hundreds of hours as it is so why start with a rusted or tweaked burb. As far as resale the truck will be just as high if not higher when finished. I have thought about 1/2ton set ups but I want the added braking power of the 3/4ton plus it makes the dually conversion real simple. I still can do a Dropmember but I have a few questions to go over with Nate to make sure this is the right way to go for this build.

Now as far as building a grocery getter for the wife out of the burb or a tahoe set up is she has a new 07 Trailblazer SS that she loves. Also neither one of us like the look of the back of a burb. We would end up swapping it all out to truck corners, gate and a custom hatch. So it would stil get cut to heck and still not be what I need for R&D for my curent customers.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #16
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I can't wait to see your version of a 4 door dually. FYI, the 6.2/6.5 deisel's weigh in very comparable to a big block Chevy. They are not near as heavy as a Cummins or International. Despite what some people say, with a few very minor mods, they are rock solid reliable and can made to have good power and very good economy. The biggest things are head and main studs and a stud girdle. That makes all the difference in the world on these engines and will cost you under $300. It costs a lot of money to get them to current Duramax or Cummins power levels, and but they are easy to get to the level that all of the diesels were 5 or 6 years ago. I have had 2 of them that were every bit as strong as the 7.3L International or stock 12 valve Cummins and got 20 mpg plus. Just another option to think about.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #17
extd56

I have seen this burb before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Well you guessed it, Low buck is almost done so what did I do today? Yep went out and picked up another project for later. What will some day be his big brother It is a 72 rust free burb sitting on 3/4ton running gear. This thing is in great shape and will lend it self to a few shop builds I have in mind.

Nothing will be getting done on this for awhile but I thought I would put it out their any ways. First thing will be doing a 4th door conversion to it so I can have a good start to finish record of the time and parts involved. Then once that is done I will be cutting the back off and tracking all time and parts needed to convert it to a truck crew cab. The B pillar will already be doe as will the 4th door so the only time really waisted will be the C post on the drivers side but I can remove that and use it later for a customer or somthing.

End result I have in mine right now is this,
4dr crew cab, 2wd, short fleetside bed with step fender fabricated to hide teh dually conversion I will also be doing. Dropmember (already checked w/Nate and it will all work) and bags with 3/4ton dually rotors up front. Out back will be bagged, disked but I have not decided on the suspension yet but it will be set up for heavy hauling. Right now it has HD trailing arms and coil springs mounted to a 68 3/4ton coil diff. Interior will be clean and modern and set up for long hauls. I am thinking about going diesel and may go with a cummins turbo with an AOD. Well thats it for now and for awhile but give me feed back and other thoughts.

Clean but needs some attention all the same. Once the power plant is picked out I will tweak things to match.

I checked it over real well and could not find a bit of rust or damage any were on this thing.

I also looked down into the doors and they were clean as well, no damage.

From the upper body line down and front doors back it is ready for paint, Just not the color they had in mind!

Original rockers on all three doors.

The interior has been jambed and painted, but again the wrong color

Rear doors are in great shape and the opening rods have been rebuilt and are working good.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #18
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by extd56 View Post
I have seen this burb before...
Yes I think you have as well. And you will again real soon How was the rust in your parts truck cab?
Thought you were not coming back till Monday. Also do you have any step side fenders for mock up?

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-19-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #19
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Wow, that is a really nice find. I like what you have planned for it, but I think you should turn it into a tahoe. I'm looking forward to the day when I have enough free time so I can come over and get my hands dirty, helping you with these projects.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #20
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugernot View Post
Wow, that is a really nice find. I like what you have planned for it, but I think you should turn it into a tahoe. I'm looking forward to the day when I have enough free time so I can come over and get my hands dirty, helping you with these projects.
Nope it's going to be a 6 wheeled truck that might just lay frame It sounds like you get about as much free time as I do but you are always welcome. Also one of these days when our free time lines up with each other I will swing by and tweak on LemonDrop abit. I havent forgot, Yet

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
Rokcrln

Does anyone remember what issue this truck was in? I know he had a bad looking burb as well in I think the same mag. I have it in my shop but with out knowing what issue it was in I would spend hours looking for it. Was it the cover truck or was the burb? Then I need someone with good photo shop skills to blend this dually with this crew cab. I am shooting for the same size as the crew cab but with out the full B post. Then swap out the suspension to a dually set up and shave down a set of step fenders for the back, they will be bolt on and well braced.
Thanks
Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-19-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #22
extd56

Quote:
Yes I think you have as well. And you will again real soon How was the rust in your parts truck cab?
Thought you were not coming back till Monday. Also do you have any step side fenders for mock up?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
My wife has a early morning meeting so we came back tonight. I guess I get to help deliver it I am told. The rust was not bad in the parts truck cab, not as nice as the Suburban.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #23
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by extd56 View Post
My wife has a early morning meeting so we came back tonight. I guess I get to help deliver it I am told. The rust was not bad in the parts truck cab, not as nice as the Suburban.
I don't know what your schedule is but I will be home all day Monday making room and cleaning up for Trazer, feel free to drop her off. So any step side fenders?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #24
extd56

Here is a link to what you want.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...cab/index.html
Old 02-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #25
extd56

Quote:
I don't know what your schedule is but I will be home all day Monday making room and cleaning up for Trazer, feel free to drop her off. So any step side fenders?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
No step side fenders, but give me a chance, I am sure I will find some. He has to do something with the rolling frame to get the burb out.