The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Goatnut

Frame suggestions for the '47 build?

Hello all! I'm new here and was introduced to the site because of a '64 c20 I have owned for many years. Here are a few pics and my intro to the site.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=395873

I have other car toys too one of which is a 1947 Art Deco project that I have been wanting to get started on. I want to set this '47 on a modern frame. I had been told that a long box standard cab S-10 would do the trick for a donar frame/suspension. I bought an S-10 short box std cab figuring to just shorten the box of the '47 as it needs much metal work anyway. Besides I like the short box look!

Anyway, I have read here about folks saying the frames are too wide. I am looking for some more information or suggestions about what you would do. Keep in mind that an aftermarket frame and suspension is not the route I want to go.

Would the '87 S-10 still be best and modify the width ....or?

Are their any links available for more detailed info on options?

I've been spending time on the 60-66 forums reading about the many projects there. I'm sure glad to see a Pre-47 side now too.

Oh, here are a couple shots of the project truck!

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Attached Images

1967 GTO
1972 Luxury Lemans

http://www.cardomain.com/id/a67goatnut
Goatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: Frame suggestions for the '47 build?

Since you already have the S-10, I may be telling you something you already know, but I also have a 87 donor truck and where the rear of the cab needs to mount, the frame is 40" wide. I'm just not familiar with the width of your 47.
But, as far as using the standard cab short bed frame, here's something to consider....
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=16296
I like the way he "stretched" the S-10 frame. I don't think it would be any harder to do it this way than it would be to cut down your box. Plus, IMO I just don't care much for shortening a shortbed. They look too much like an Avalanche.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Are you swapping to a modern frame because the stock frame is damaged or rusted out? I ask because my '46 is still on the stock frame, albeit with a Mustang II cross member up front (I think!) and a Jag independent rear end out back. One of the PO's that did this knew enough to box the frame in the area where he mounted these newer pieces - though I wish he'd have boxed the entire frame. Anyway, just a thought. You can buy a Mustang II front crossmember complete from hub-to-hub (I think including brakes, gotta check that) from a seller on eBay for $1667.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Goatnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
But, as far as using the standard cab short bed frame, here's something to consider....
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=16296
I like the way he "stretched" the S-10 frame. I don't think it would be any harder to do it this way than it would be to cut down your box. Plus, IMO I just don't care much for shortening a shortbed. They look too much like an Avalanche.
Thanks for the link that is a good read! Yea, I definately do not want mine to look anything like an Avalanche either....lol. It was just too good of a deal on the short box s-10 to pass up and figured shortening the bed would be easy enough. Thanks again, obviously I have another alternative now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Are you swapping to a modern frame because the stock frame is damaged or rusted out? I ask because my '46 is still on the stock frame, albeit with a Mustang II cross member up front (I think!) and a Jag independent rear end out back. One of the PO's that did this knew enough to box the frame in the area where he mounted these newer pieces - though I wish he'd have boxed the entire frame. Anyway, just a thought. You can buy a Mustang II front crossmember complete from hub-to-hub (I think including brakes, gotta check that) from a seller on eBay for $1667.
Yea, the frame is pretty rusted. Sure it could be fixed but I'm looking for a better ride than the ol' buggy feel of the stock suspension. Not to mention the brakes! Safety first!

The truck itself is worth slavaging but overall not a good candidate for a restoration. I am a purist at heart and would love a restored tyruck of this vintage but I need a break from that "all correct" routine. This is the Highly modified project that I have dreampt about for a long time. I plan to keep the look as stock as possible (as far as sheet metal goes) but will be pushing to improve all other aspects of the susp. and drive train.

Scott
1967 GTO
1972 Luxury Lemans

http://www.cardomain.com/id/a67goatnut

Last edited by Goatnut; 04-07-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Goatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Hello and glad to meet you.I can appreciate the approach you`re taking with this.I`m right there with you.Heck,I like how GM made all their trucks look...great styling from year to year for 70+ years.I`d love to have one original and one hot rod for each design.I guess the S10 frame is about the easiest,especially if the frame is 1/2 shabby.I envision building one off of the original if I`m in that situation whenever I get my truck(justa wannabee).But,I realize that`s a huge project in itself.
Hopefully more help remedies will come along in this thread.Probably a different dimensuins,but a local guy here built a`40s Diamond-T off a`70s C/10 frame.I could see where he boxed the sheetmetal out between the cab and rear fenders.That truck must have been wider.I`m just wondering how much wider a full-size frame is from a mid-size.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
shaunatk

I'm mounting a 41 on a 2003 S10 extended cab chassis. Other than needing to shorten it by about 8" (which you wouldn't need to do with a long bed chassis) everything seems to be fitting like a dream. Now to figure out how to make a core support...
shaunatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunatk View Post
I'm mounting a 41 on a 2003 S10 extended cab chassis. Other than needing to shorten it by about 8" (which you wouldn't need to do with a long bed chassis) everything seems to be fitting like a dream. Now to figure out how to make a core support...
Pictures please. We like pictures.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
Ornery37

here is a site that looks to have a pretty good source for s10 conversions
http://www.ad-engineering.com/HOMEPAGE.html under "kit components"
Ornery37 is offline   Reply With Quote