The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #201
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
Gee, maybe I should take one of my old Johnson Messenger II Blackface tube radios and set it up for Mobile. I could use the one that was used for police back then. It would double as a heater. LOL
I have a Blackface rig myself. On long drives you can keep yourself awake by the sready buzz of the on-board oscillating inverter.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #202
Happy_dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I have a Blackface rig myself. On long drives you can keep yourself awake by the sready buzz of the on-board oscillating inverter.
Cool and we can swap transmit and receive crystals and mess everyone up. LOL
They really are still great radios. I have a 2M ham radio in my daily driver now and an HF radio in the house, but it all started with a Johnson blackface putting out 23W and then a linear amp. Fun times, good memories, just like the old trucks
2012 Camaro ZL1
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #203
'68OrangeSunshine

Even barefoot, the Johnson Messenger II put out 5 watts after the final. Then the FCC stepped in and mandated that CB transceivers should be at 5W in/3.5W out. But radios already sold were grandfathered in. Same with the Messenger I [Whitefaces], same circuits, simpler front -- 5 Xtals.
My Blackface once belonged to an aircraft engineer's son, whose Dad looked at it one evening, and tinkering overnight, rigged a bypass slideswitch on the side that cut out a limiting resistor and let the full output potential of 10W loose.
With a 1/4 wave whip and a solid Chevy steel frame for a ground, I never needed a linear.
I used to run a HyGain Hustler break-over mast with a loaded-coil short whip on top. Then the stub load coil broke. I tried a red Shakespeare stick, but the AZ Dept of Public Safety [Highway Patrol in these parts] pulled me over and said my antenna combo was at an illegal height. [>13'] I have a shorter stub now but I need to tune in the SWR for optimum output.
Threes and eights. Orange Sunshine's clear.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #204
Happy_dan

I did not run the radio mobile. But I had a 5/8 wave antenna on my roof (Sigma 5/8) and running any power, was able to talk when I wanted. I was very courteous but when bullies got on the air, I would key up and have my say. LOL. I was young and stupid back then. It's a shame 10M is dead right now. It is very similar to 11M (CB) for skip when the conditions are right. Anyway, back to the original thread, my truck is pretty much unmolested, but if I can find a cheap radio from 1968, I just might put one in for funm
2012 Camaro ZL1
Old 01-22-2020, 03:12 AM   #205
'68OrangeSunshine

I'm not running a museum truck. If a newer technology, like 40 Channels is usable, I'll have that. [8-Track always did suck. I prefer cassettes.]
I used to run a Radio Shack TRC-421 solid state radio mobil in the Orange Stepside with the previously-mentioned antenna configuration. I had a '67 K/10 Suburban and ran a solid state Messenger 4175 thru a fibreglas 1/4 wave whip on a ball mount on the passenger side rear. When I bought my '71 GMC Jimmy in 1995, I got a new SSB rig from Radio Shack, and some dual short whip ''rabbit ears'' to mount on the mirrors outboard. That never got installed. The dual stubs didn't fit my mirrors. I got a cell phone. The SSB went into storage, NIB, and was forgotten. A few years ago, I found it again and ran it temporarily in my '92 Subaru with a magnetic stubby. Not the same world I had left though.
I still have a 5/8 RS ground plane on my roof. I tried the SSB with it, but no intelligent life is out there anymore. Well, 'intelligence' is a relative thing in this context. It used to be teeming with semi-intelligent life, but they've gone extinct, I fear...
OVER

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 01-22-2020 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #206
Happy_dan

Yes, the only think I hear when I turn on the CB now is the crazy guys down south running 50,000 watts! They are not the same. I don't hear truckers at all. Last road trip I was on, I set the 2M on scan and heard a lot of the truckers on there. They know where all the repeaters are along the way, use those. Also there is DMR and they use that with a hot spot. It's a different world for sure. I miss the simplicity. Probably turning into a grumpy old man which is why I love my truck!
2012 Camaro ZL1
Old 12-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #207
NJKelly

Re: The Official CB's in your truck thread.

This is too funny. I checked my email and saw you responded to my 15 x 8 wheel question. And then I went looking for CB radio threads and Google brought me here. I picked up a GM radio a few weeks back that finally arrived today.
Attached Images

NJKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #208
best view

Wow that is nice
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:19 PM   #209
72 tigger

Never really thought about truckers not using CB radios like they used to
Attached Images

Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:09 AM   #210
Ironhorse

Just re-read the whole thread from the very start. Still pretty cool with content and seems more folks are using CBs more than I had thought.

Happy Dan, if wanting a period correct CB for the late 60s I have one listed in 67-72 parts forum. I believe from 68 or 69. It is an old Amphenol 3 channel unit, definitely has that vintage look to it. It powers up but no idea if it actually works. It fulfills one requirement for you, it's cheap, LOL.

Ironhorse, clear and 10-10 on the side.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:33 AM   #211
70c10-08

My truck is nowhere near done but, I'll be running my old man's Johnson Messenger 123A CB radio with a Johnson external speaker. It doesn't work and the mic cord is really stretched out hopefully someone can restore this one to working condition and, hopefully I can get the cord fixed so I don't have to hang my mic over the rear view mirror, like my old man did when it was in his 76 Ramcharger.
Attached Images

70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:43 AM   #212
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
Never really thought about truckers not using CB radios like they used to
I hear the young drivers are using Twitter and Snapchat [etc] and texting each other and/or their new GFs in the next town.

When ratchetjawing, you had the Mic in one hand, the wheel in the other, and eyes on the road.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #213
Happy_dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Just re-read the whole thread from the very start. Still pretty cool with content and seems more folks are using CBs more than I had thought.

Happy Dan, if wanting a period correct CB for the late 60s I have one listed in 67-72 parts forum. I believe from 68 or 69. It is an old Amphenol 3 channel unit, definitely has that vintage look to it. It powers up but no idea if it actually works. It fulfills one requirement for you, it's cheap, LOL.

Ironhorse, clear and 10-10 on the side.
LOL, I like cheap. I'll take a look! Thanks. I actually have a modern CB in my 2012 ZL1. I take a lot of extended trips with my friend from NY and we it's still a great and easy way to communicate on the long drives we take. WE travel from the northeast (me from NH and he from Hudson Valley in NY) to Pittsburgh and other rides and like to have our own cars. It is still great for that. Easier and better than texting or calling.
2012 Camaro ZL1
Old 02-26-2021, 10:01 PM   #214
Greasey Harley

Recently, I started wondering why I ever bothered installing a CB, Two days ago I remembered. Roads were glare Ice and traffic was just crawling. I turned on the CB; one car in the left ditch, a little further up a truck was stuck on the off ramp. I don't know if it helped anything, but at least I didn't have to wonder what was going on or how far it was backed up. CB is still useful.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:05 PM   #215
kwmech

Still running them myself along with a scanner. CBs in my suburban, toyota and flatbed. Plus I run a hand held when I travel any distance in my subaru
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:04 PM   #216
body bolt

I'm running this in mine. I replaced the factory antenna mast with a 36" base-loaded one. I used a small spring with 1/4-20 on one end and 3/8-24 on the other which lets me use the stock base. I put a SO239 bushing in the firewall to feed the lead into the cab. Between the radio and the antenna is an inverse multiplexer which allows the AM/FM radio to use the CB antenna, not the other way around.
Attached Images

body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #217
'68OrangeSunshine

Interesting set up. How well does it get out?

Old 05-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #218
body bolt

With that 36" antenna I get good reports on the open road but not so well around town. Audio is good. I'm not much of a yakker anyway. The radio puts out over 4 watts and SWR is very low. I have a few other radios that I hang under the dash but I don't like leaving them in the truck. I did add Bluetooth to this radio and threw some cheapo KLH speakers under the seat. It sounds pretty good to my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Interesting set up. How well does it get out?
Old 05-06-2021, 11:56 PM   #219
70cst

Re: The Official CB's in your truck thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKelly View Post
This is too funny. I checked my email and saw you responded to my 15 x 8 wheel question. And then I went looking for CB radio threads and Google brought me here. I picked up a GM radio a few weeks back that finally arrived today.
Sweet

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:22 PM   #220
jocko

Pretty interesting video for those of you that might be interested in maintaining your 'ol 23 channel vintage look while adding some modern capabilities. Here is a link to Troy's Radio Service, mentioned in the video as the mfgr of the kit. The upgrade adds all kinds of stuff - including channel scanning. For you preppers, it even adds the ability to tune to HAM freqs...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:11 AM   #221
'68OrangeSunshine

Damn, Jocko, that is the neatest thing since sliced bread.
Forty years ago I would have been all over that. I did dream of such a thing...

I wonder what they could do with a Johnson Messenger I? It is a tube type rig. About the size of a mailbox, and only has 5 channels [with 10 crystals]. But a VFO and a cleaner DC power supply would be an improvement.
On transmit you sounded like Voice Of America. Real broadcast quality.
How much do they want for one?

Old 01-22-2022, 01:52 PM   #222
jocko

I had to stare at the site for a while to figure out I needed to click on "Click for U.S.A site" (duh)... (so here is a direct link)
$75 for the kit
$175 for the kit and install (you send them your radio)
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:35 PM   #223
'68OrangeSunshine

Not bad either way.
I may put a rig back in my mobile.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #224
LT7A

This is a great thread! CG, I'll have my ears on next time I drive through Monroe, will call out and see if you copy. I'll bet there are lots of us that like the '60s, '70s, and '80s trucks with the accessories from that time. So maybe, just maybe, the more of us that put CBS in our rigs and turn them on when we're out and about will find each other and can have a little resurgence in CB usage.I bought one of my trucks from a guy who used to drive, and there is a unit attached under the CB that I believe in is intended to boost the signal. He said it was illegal and cost about $2,500 at the time. You never know exactly what you're being told, and I told him that if he wanted to take it out of the truck, it was okay. But he sent it all home with me.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:52 PM   #225
body bolt

I've got a radio with a bad VCO block. The choice is make a new replacement VCO block or try one of these DDS-VFOs?. Decisions, decisions...