The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
kwmech

Re: Fluid pouring out of TH350 when vacuum modulaor removed, hard time getting into 3

Fluid coming out of the vac mod hole is normal, but it shouldn't be "gushing out" . It will leak some, but not quarts. Maybe overfull? Take the cable off of the carb linkage and drive it. Cable is not needed for upshifting. Could possible have a stripped out nylon gear on the governor or the valve in the governor is stuck. 4 bolts (1/2'' socket) on the side of the case towards the rear, remove the bolts and pull out the governor. Report back
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
greywurm

Re: Fluid pouring out of TH350 when vacuum modulaor removed, hard time getting into 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Fluid coming out of the vac mod hole is normal, but it shouldn't be "gushing out" . It will leak some, but not quarts. Maybe overfull? Take the cable off of the carb linkage and drive it. Cable is not needed for upshifting. Could possible have a stripped out nylon gear on the governor or the valve in the governor is stuck. 4 bolts (1/2'' socket) on the side of the case towards the rear, remove the bolts and pull out the governor. Report back
Thanks for the input. I will check this out tomorrow when I get a chance - working from home. Are you referring to the kickdown cable?
greywurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywurm View Post
Thanks for the input. I will check this out tomorrow when I get a chance - working from home. Are you referring to the kickdown cable?
Yes, disconnect the cable for now.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
greywurm

I got the governor pulled out. It appears OK to me. Gear looks fine. How do I check the valve?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
greywurm

I took a couple pics.
Upon further review, I can see some scoring around that hole near the gear on both sides, but it looks to me that is supposed to be there. Also there is minor wear on the gear, but really doesnt look bad to me at all.

http://imgur.com/a/V5h2X

Last edited by greywurm; 06-07-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
kwmech

Hold the assembly by the nylon gear in one hand. Now with the other, move the weights up and down by squeezing them gently together. Look at the valve in the center of the assembly and see if it is moving up and down freely. if it is the governor is good. If not you will have to take it apart and find out why it is binding up
Old 06-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
greywurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
To add, fluid level is halfway between the add and fill lines when warm. I put about about 8 pints in it after I drained and changed the gasket.

I also had the governor on my list of suspects, but was leaning away from that for one reason or another. I don't recall why at this time.