The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Paul Y

Re: Body Mounts. Energy Suspension or standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Poly doesn't want to move in two different directions. In a front control arm, the forward and rearward pivots are in line with each other, so poly works fine there.

In the trailing arms, the left and right arm pivots are in line with each other, so they -will- introduce bind, but whether, at such a long length, and such a subtle angle difference, and such a limited amount of rotation, it is enough misalignment to cause a problem remains to be seen.

I did buy poly trailing arm bushings for me '61, fully knowing this. I'll try it.

I fabricated a new panhard with poly ends, and it was binding problem for sure - I switched to rod ends.

My '61 has full poly front suspension and full poly motor mounts too. It has not been driven yet, so I might hate it still.

My '77 C10 daily has full poly front and rear suspension, poly cab mounts, poly sway bar bits, and fully poly motor mounts. The truck also has 1-ton coils and Big 10 leafs. The cab mounts made the worst change to NVH.
Skinny thanks for the analysis.

In my younger days I ran a fully rose jointed 911 street/track car and revelled in the lack of compliance and directness of the chassis. Now I think would want to shoot myself.....

Tried Rock Auto for the cab bushings but they only stock the Poly versions - any body got a recommendation for who to buy from?

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:39 PM   #2
SkinnyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Skinny thanks for the analysis.
No problem. Though I did edit my post to say the trailing arm pivots are NOT inline with each other (which is why they will bind).

I've been seriously considering changing my '77 back to rubber cab mounts. Nobody seems to have them in stock, if they list them at all.

I did have to weld metal into the cab frame mounts on the '61 as one (only one) had rotted through completely. My '77 was solid.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
No problem. Though I did edit my post to say the trailing arm pivots are NOT inline with each other (which is why they will bind).

I've been seriously considering changing my '77 back to rubber cab mounts. Nobody seems to have them in stock, if they list them at all.

I did have to weld metal into the cab frame mounts on the '61 as one (only one) had rotted through completely. My '77 was solid.
Saw the edit.

Its a difficult one to decide which route to go as there is conflicting advice across the internet and, without being able to do a like for like/back to back comparison, I am not sure there is a right or wrong answer.

As most of us building trucks take several years from taking them off the road to re emerging, like a beautiful butterfly from a chrysalis, the previous 'feel' of the truck - pre mods- is a distant memory so this makes it even harder....

The decision on which route to go could actually have been made for me as there are no rubber mounts available anywhere... Good job my brother in law is a dentist....

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote