The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
GSP7

81 k20 front wheel bearing nuts and washer replace

Ive have a new set of spindle nuts and washer thing with the pin and holes in the washer sitting in my tool box. For 81 k20 front spindle

Been busy, getting ready to move

Refresh my memory on adjusting and these and the front wheel bearings or a link

IIRC its kind of a goofy design

thanks

Gotaa install the new goodys and adjust that one side. I used a old style washer with bend tabs to get by , that pin had broke off years ago

Pinstriping-Lettering-Specialty Painting
GSP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:00 AM   #2
Richard

Re: 81 k20 front wheel bearing nuts and washer replace

Kind of nice if you have the proper socket. They are not that expensive. The nut with pin goes on first, with pin pointing out. I just tighten choked up on the ratchet while spinning the rotor with the other hand. When snug but still spinning free, stop. For me it is a "feel" I have learned. Try the lock washer with the holes. If pin does not line up with one of holes in washer loosen a bit until it does, flipping it over also changes pin position. Install locking nut fairly tight. I then put the wheel/tire on and check for any movement with no load on axle. Also checking tire still spins free. If spindle is older outer locknut may make bearings to tight. Remove outer nut and washer and loosen inner nut one pin spacing, replace lock washer and outer nut. Then check again. Good time to re-pack bearings. It is not necessary to pack entire hub/bearing area with grease. Just pack the bearings. Hope this helps.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #3
GSP7

I have the big special socket.

My temporary fix with the old style tap bend-over washer , my bearing gets loose.

Hopefully that thicker 'hole' washer and pin set up will keep my the bearings adjusted and wont loosen

Yeah, I always repack the bearings wit grease

Not sure what you are referring to here:
Quote:
It is not necessary to pack entire hub/bearing area with grease
Repacking wheel bearings is pretty basic

Pinstriping-Lettering-Specialty Painting

Last edited by GSP7; 07-15-2021 at 06:20 PM.
GSP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:22 AM   #4
Richard

Sounds like you have been in a wheel bearing before. Have seen some think that packing/filling the entire hub cavity with as much grease you can get in there is a good thing.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
I have the big special socket.

My temporary fix with the old style tap bend-over washer , my bearing gets loose.

Hopefully that thicker 'hole' washer and pin set up will keep my the bearings adjusted and wont loosen

Yeah, I always repack the bearings wit grease

Not sure what you are referring to here:

Repacking wheel bearings is pretty basic

They should not loosen. The whole system works very well, when done properly, but so many people screw it up.
The "feel" of tight/loose is a bit of an art, but the actual assembly of the system is very straight forward.
The feel of the tightening has a little to do with the wear over time of the nut and spindle. It the inner nut is a little loose on the spindle threads, the outer nut will push that slack out when it is tightened, then the wheel bearing fit will be too tight. The trick of turning the washer over can be quite helpful, as is having a small dentil type pick to pull it out.
All in all, the most important thing is that the pin is actually in one of the holes and the washer sits flat on the inner nut. Having the correct socket is critical. Otherwise it just never gets tightened properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #6
burnin oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Sounds like you have been in a wheel bearing before. Have seen some think that packing/filling the entire hub cavity with as much grease you can get in there is a good thing.
You are correct on this hub but there are some out there that have the entire cavity filled per the manufacturer. I have usually only seen this on HD trucks or trailers but it isn't very common.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote