The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quad shock options or opinions

My Willys has the quad shock option on the front of its 88 F150 dana 44 TTB.

Well I am going to order air bags for 2 projects one of which is my Willys along with my T sedan. Since the bags don't fit into the sping pockets I need to modify everything. Which is fine since I need shocks too.

Well I can either move the rear bracket back, and keep the quad option. To which I would use Grabiel gas charged shocks to avoid over shocking it.

Or should I just get a better shock like KYB or eventually Bilstein as I am on the budget right now, and just have the shocks go solo.

To toss into the mix I have access to a set of Rancho 4 inch lift shocks for a blazer. Are longer shocks that big of an advantage since I will be cycling them less as a total percentage of there design stroke.

The suspension of the Willy's aka F150 TTB will remain stock height as with the Willy's body I can easy clear 33's. That is all I need to do desert exploring, and maximize component durability. I wouldn't mind 35's, but with my knees going south quickly. I want to keep it as low as reasonable so I can actually get in easily.

The suspension mods will be limited to swing set steering, and a slightly longer hair pin. I don't want it to ruin anti dive, but I would like a bit more suspension compliance off road.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:20 AM   #2
bob arrington

Re: Quad shock options or opinions

lessee...willys, aka ford, this is a chevy site...hope this helps?
bob arrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob arrington View Post
lessee...willys, aka ford, this is a chevy site...hope this helps?
It's also the Suspension section & he asked a suspension question. The make/model is not really a difference maker when doing custom stuff. Hope this helps you.

@Ziegelsteinfaust,

Quad shock set-ups need some calcs to dial in shock rates. If your re-locating things, I'd try setting it up for a single 'good' shock (better than average) w/the right travel.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
bob arrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It's also the Suspension section & he asked a suspension question. The make/model is not really a difference maker when doing custom stuff. Hope this helps you.

@Ziegelsteinfaust,

Quad shock set-ups need some calcs to dial in shock rates. If your re-locating things, I'd try setting it up for a single 'good' shock (better than average) w/the right travel.
theres a ford truck site also a willeys site, thought he may not know that. I also used belong to the ford site, fords and chevys are completely different, havent had a willeys ...yet , actually was trying to help and not trying to give a generic , general non helpfull useless answer. the ford site actually has a willeys section or did the last time I owned a ford...lol. If he cant find the answers there, any of the hard core jeep/offroad folks could point him in the right direction. dont care if this helps you. ...lol
bob arrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob arrington View Post
theres a ford truck site also a willeys site, thought he may not know that. I also used belong to the ford site, fords and chevys are completely different, havent had a willeys ...yet , actually was trying to help and not trying to give a generic , general non helpfull useless answer. the ford site actually has a willeys section or did the last time I owned a ford...lol. If he cant find the answers there, any of the hard core jeep/offroad folks could point him in the right direction. dont care if this helps you. ...lol
You are correct. There are Ford specific sites & there are Willys specific sites. I suppose that is helpful for those that don't know. And.... there 's always this site where he asked the question & where he asks many questions in several different areas. I'm pretty sure he knew what site he was on to begin with.

I'm correct. He asked the question in a suspension area of an internet forum. A suspension question where he plans to change things so he's seeking perspective.
No foul; no harm.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-25-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

@Ziegelsteinfaust,

Thanks Scoti,

I ended up going a completely different direction on the front suspension. The original plan was to leave it alone, but it ended up to high for me. My knees are completely jacked up from arthritis, and I had to quit my higher paying service job. For a decent paying maintenance job.

Coil overs were to much for my pocket book, and unnecessary for what I would do. New front springs are not available with out a increase in lbs/in.

So I air bagged the front with a common long Rancho shock for mock up.

At that point I was going to leave it where it was, and go from there.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Thanks Scoti,

I ended up going a completely different direction on the front suspension. The original plan was to leave it alone, but it ended up to high for me. My knees are completely jacked up from arthritis, and I had to quit my higher paying service job. For a decent paying maintenance job.

Coil overs were to much for my pocket book, and unnecessary for what I would do. New front springs are not available with out a increase in lbs/in.

So I air bagged the front with a common long Rancho shock for mock up.

At that point I was going to leave it where it was, and go from there.

Glad you figured something out.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG