The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
saddletramp

72 C-10 Help

Morning Guys I'm ready to install a new roof skin I need some feed back on the best way to do this job GLUE VERSES welding I've got a welder , if it's glue can someone tell me the best stuff to use Thanks Saddletramp
saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
BigBird05

Re: 72 C-10 Help

I'll be watching this thread for answers.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddletramp View Post
Morning Guys I'm ready to install a new roof skin I need some feed back on the best way to do this job GLUE VERSES welding I've got a welder , if it's glue can someone tell me the best stuff to use Thanks Saddletramp
I bought a beautiful Oldsmobile about 8 years ago with an after market sunroof in it. My buddy owns a body shop and I asked him to remove it. He flat ass refused to do it, later offered to do it and install a vinyl roof. I said no, it's a low mileage original car with build sheet and window sticker and does no show a vinyl roof. After months of bugging him he agreed to doing it. After removing sunroof, head liner, and upholstery I took him the car. He formed a piece of metal as the roof bows each way and then installed it and used aviation glue on it, it came out beautiful, he said that was his first and last one. Still have the car and no one believes it ever had a sunroof. They say that glue comes in different stages as far as drying time. Good luck with your project.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #4
saddletramp

Thank for cool story about your car I'm leaning towards glueing the roof skin back on Thanks saddletramp
Old 10-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #5
cj847

I can't help a lot. I have used a small tube of Eastwood panel bond. From my experience I love it, no warpage etc. But for your project I would use one of the body shop quality glues from 3M or others.

Since I have used it I have become confused on why more people don't use it to glue rocker panels, and door skins. Anything that overlays another part is a great candidate IMHO.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:30 AM   #6
saddletramp

Thank you sir appreciate the input