The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #1
kev2809
low n' slo

Air bags

hey guys I bagged my suburban loooong ago and it's been parked under a tarp for a while now. well I'm ordering some things to get my front end back together and would like to swap out my dominator 2500s up front. I went with these because my lower a arms are cupped and the 2600s were super close to touching the edges.

are the slam ss7 bags the best option to replace? they have similar compressed height, but give an extra 1.5" of lift and remain 7" diameter.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:12 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Air bags

My preference is slam bags because they do not expand like dominators. Although I have only bagged 2 trucks for other people, but I have used various bags for helper springs. Because of other mods I did there no longer was a kit for me.

One thing I do when I bagged the 2 trucks. Is set the bags ride height tall, and the shim it with plywood to get the ride you want. Then get aluminum shims cut to spec.

A airbags "spring" rate for lack of better term is directly related to its diameter, and set height. Based upon how much your vehicle weighs at the corners.

To small of a bag will ride rough due to the pressure needed to lift the vehicle.

To large of a bag, and the ride will be very soft by comparison.

The way I was told by Slam. Was set the bag on the table, and measure its height. Let's say 10" for reference. This should be your air bags height at ride height. Rather a 4/7 or a 6/8 drop.

What I like to do is make the bag area or space 10.5 or 11 inches at ride height. This way I can play with the bags installed height with shims to dial in the "spring" rate I want. This is why I use wood. Cheap, and last long enough to dial it in. As it has excellent comprehensive strength.

The first guy I bagged his C10. Ended up making 2 sets of shims. One for comfort, and the other for sport driving. It would take him a hour to swap then along with rotating the tires if he wanted.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
My preference is slam bags because they do not expand like dominators. Although I have only bagged 2 trucks for other people, but I have used various bags for helper springs. Because of other mods I did there no longer was a kit for me.

One thing I do when I bagged the 2 trucks. Is set the bags ride height tall, and the shim it with plywood to get the ride you want. Then get aluminum shims cut to spec.

A airbags "spring" rate for lack of better term is directly related to its diameter, and set height. Based upon how much your vehicle weighs at the corners.

To small of a bag will ride rough due to the pressure needed to lift the vehicle.

To large of a bag, and the ride will be very soft by comparison.

The way I was told by Slam. Was set the bag on the table, and measure its height. Let's say 10" for reference. This should be your air bags height at ride height. Rather a 4/7 or a 6/8 drop.

What I like to do is make the bag area or space 10.5 or 11 inches at ride height. This way I can play with the bags installed height with shims to dial in the "spring" rate I want. This is why I use wood. Cheap, and last long enough to dial it in. As it has excellent comprehensive strength.

The first guy I bagged his C10. Ended up making 2 sets of shims. One for comfort, and the other for sport driving. It would take him a hour to swap then along with rotating the tires if he wanted.
wow...I've never heard of this shim method. that's interesting. thanks for the info. I think I will try the slam ss7 bags and see how it goes. my main concern is enough room for the bag to deflate. from there, if I have to, I can shim.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
wow...I've never heard of this shim method. that's interesting. thanks for the info. I think I will try the slam ss7 bags and see how it goes. my main concern is enough room for the bag to deflate. from there, if I have to, I can shim.
It kind of came to me when I was.looking up coil over bags, and discussing then with someone.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote