The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2021, 11:04 PM   #1
jathur02

about to sink 25-30k into my 1989 Suburban..is it worth it? pics included

I wanted to write this up before I commit to doing everything I'm going to list. I was hoping to get your opinions on what I'm doing and what it will cost. I appreciate it in advance. Here is a list..I want to have it as low as it can go without body dropping it with 22x9 wheels up front and 24x15 wheels in the rear. I was hoping to get some opinions on how much this would normally cost to do all of the things I listed below?

Shaving the firewall, new bead-rolled panels, vintage heat and air installed, new rear back half narrowed to fit 24x15 wheels, all custom sheet metal bead-rolled panels and new wheel tubs in the rear and metal to be worked around in order to keep the third row seat if possible, tuck all cross members, possibly section oil pan, all air management hooked up and installed, slosh tubs installed and painted to match the body color....

It will be 16,000-18,000 in just labor in order to get this completed and have the truck as low as it can possibly go without body dropping it. I will also have to pay for air ride which is around 2,500, as well as vintage heat and air which is around 1,200 from what I've looked up. The wheels/tires combo with also run closer to 6,000 for the set I'm currently looking at.

I'm also thinking of getting a cam on it, since the engine has been swapped out to a 5.3 already. I was quoted 2,500 to do this, which seems kind of high.

Again, thanks for any opinions you guys can offer me. I attached a few pictures of what my truck looks like currently.
Attached Images

Last edited by jathur02; 07-07-2021 at 11:33 PM.
jathur02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
jathur02

Re: about to sink 25-30k into my 1989 Suburban..is it worth it? pics included

I was hoping someone would have some feedback on how much it would cost for these types of modifications or what I should be looking at spending if I do something like this. I think it will be worth it, once it's finished, but just wanted to get some opinions before I make a final decision on everything. Thanks again
Old 07-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

This is well beyond what I would pay, but a couple of tips I learned from people who have dropped big money before.

Take pictures of what you want done. So the guy has a portfolio to reference, and have to use less of I think he wants this. I am talking 8x10 glossy here. Then talk about what you want with pics.

Get a guaranteed timeline for completion. Alot of guys take in way to much work, and then f everyone over at some point. Only make payments after as deadlines or completion levels are meet.

I do this in my side enterprises all the time. I get 40-50% up front, and the rest upon completion. As my stuff is 1-2 days of work. When I used to dabble in whole remodels. It would be alot different, but I usually did 2 rooms at a time. Except for the kitchen which typically I would concentrate on to keep customers happy.

Stop by weekly or bi-weekly to monitor. That way you don't end up in the back. This way you can pull your vehicle if S is hitting the fan before it is out of control.

I have seen more then a few people I was familiar with loose or nearly loose vehicles due to shops going bankrupt or selling of parts claiming theft.

For the rear have you thought about IRS? Maybe this could allow you to drop a bit further without as much cutting.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:39 PM   #4
Dexterb

You might be better off just buying something already finished and selling your current ride. Just a thought.

Otherwise, find all the parts you think it will take to install and talk with vendors that carry the parts and ask them what the typical install time should be for each item/kit.

Example. You would probably want to lower your front with a dropmember, so price out cost of dropmember, control arms, air bags, sway bar, shocks. Then ask what you should expect to pay for install or at least the hours required to install, they should have a ball park idea.

Secondly, search threads within the forum and look for someone who has cut the rear floor and tubs and raised it for axle and tire clearance and ask them how many hours it took them. Compare that to the time a fab shop quotes you for the work to get an idea of time required/cost.

Third, depending on your mechanical ability and time, research what aspects of the job you could do your self to save on labour.

Forth, when looking for a shop, rarely is cheaper better.

Fifth, be prepared to compromise to make the budget work. You could probably have a really awesome looking ride, without going to a 24x15 rear wheel, and instead go with an option where the rear diff doesnt need to be narrowed and frame only needing a notch vs needing narrowing.

Good luck. But don't expect a feasible answer to appear, you will need to put in the work to determine what the project is going to cost and define the true scope of work.

Cheers,
Dexter
Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
jathur02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
This is well beyond what I would pay, but a couple of tips I learned from people who have dropped big money before.

Take pictures of what you want done. So the guy has a portfolio to reference, and have to use less of I think he wants this. I am talking 8x10 glossy here. Then talk about what you want with pics.

Get a guaranteed timeline for completion. Alot of guys take in way to much work, and then f everyone over at some point. Only make payments after as deadlines or completion levels are meet.

I do this in my side enterprises all the time. I get 40-50% up front, and the rest upon completion. As my stuff is 1-2 days of work. When I used to dabble in whole remodels. It would be alot different, but I usually did 2 rooms at a time. Except for the kitchen which typically I would concentrate on to keep customers happy.

Stop by weekly or bi-weekly to monitor. That way you don't end up in the back. This way you can pull your vehicle if S is hitting the fan before it is out of control.

I have seen more then a few people I was familiar with loose or nearly loose vehicles due to shops going bankrupt or selling of parts claiming theft.

For the rear have you thought about IRS? Maybe this could allow you to drop a bit further without as much cutting.
It just seems like when you start narrowing the rear end and want the 24x15 wheels to tuck, the cost starts jumping up. The shop is about 3 hours away from where I live, so I want be able to monitor on a weekly basis unfortunately. I'm hoping we can agree on a price for all labor before I drop it off, so he doesn't try and tack on additional costs. I appreciate the quick response.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:54 AM   #6
jathur02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterb View Post
You might be better off just buying something already finished and selling your current ride. Just a thought.

Otherwise, find all the parts you think it will take to install and talk with vendors that carry the parts and ask them what the typical install time should be for each item/kit.

Example. You would probably want to lower your front with a dropmember, so price out cost of dropmember, control arms, air bags, sway bar, shocks. Then ask what you should expect to pay for install or at least the hours required to install, they should have a ball park idea.

Secondly, search threads within the forum and look for someone who has cut the rear floor and tubs and raised it for axle and tire clearance and ask them how many hours it took them. Compare that to the time a fab shop quotes you for the work to get an idea of time required/cost.

Third, depending on your mechanical ability and time, research what aspects of the job you could do your self to save on labour.

Forth, when looking for a shop, rarely is cheaper better.

Fifth, be prepared to compromise to make the budget work. You could probably have a really awesome looking ride, without going to a 24x15 rear wheel, and instead go with an option where the rear diff doesnt need to be narrowed and frame only needing a notch vs needing narrowing.

Good luck. But don't expect a feasible answer to appear, you will need to put in the work to determine what the project is going to cost and define the true scope of work.

Cheers,
Dexter
I built a 92 blazer about 15 years ago, it was my first car and it ended up being featured in minitruckin/street trucks when they were still around, not sure if they still are haha, so I have some experience with the build. I gutted the interior already, but as far as the body work I was going to drop it off to his shop and have them do all of the work. Does 65.00 an hour seem fair to do this kind of work? I'm just hoping the quote that I got seems realistic to build a truck like this these days, I know his shop does quality work, but wanted to make sure.

I'm just loving the way the 24x15's look, I can't seem to get off of that style, I know it's way more expensive to go with this look though. Do you know of anyone on this forum that has done this kind of work to their truck? I have tried searching, but I can't find any Suburbans similar to mine on here. Thanks again for the detailed response, I appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:04 AM   #7
Thealien

Will you be able to deal with 50% over budget? Things get discovered during bodywork that you can not see. Tomorrow is not a guarantee for any of us. $65 an hour is a lot less than I pay here in the northeast.

When paying someone for work the vehicle is rarely worth what you have invested. Are you OK with that.

If you are doing it for YOU and can afford it and a little more go for it!
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #8
LT7A

Some good advice on here already. $65 is a very good shop rate for where I live, but I would find out if there's also a consumables rate on top of the labor, could be $5 or even more per hour. I feel like you asked two questions. First, how much various things cost. And second, if it is worth it. There are some very good recommendations of how to set up your budget already spelled out in response. As far as whether or not it's worth it, you have to decide that. What can make it worth it is owning and driving what you envision. My gut feeling is that you would not be able to sell it for anything near what you will pay to have the work done. I don't mean that as a discouragement, just as an answer to the question of worth. Another thing that seems common in builds of this complexity, is that they take years. That is already a cool truck. In fact, it's a very cool truck. I would recommend that you get a drawing or two done of what you envision for the finished product. Not a cartoon exaggeration, but a technically correct rendering of how it would sit and how the wheels and tires would fit. That will help you decide if it's worth it to spend the money to get from where you are to what you envision. And if you want to invest the amount of time.

Would be really cool to see some more pictures of your Suburban and the work that you've had done to it so far.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #9
jathur02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Will you be able to deal with 50% over budget? Things get discovered during bodywork that you can not see. Tomorrow is not a guarantee for any of us. $65 an hour is a lot less than I pay here in the northeast.

When paying someone for work the vehicle is rarely worth what you have invested. Are you OK with that.

If you are doing it for YOU and can afford it and a little more go for it!
I guess my question is, how many hours should something like this take? I'm trying to get the labor cost down some, so I can afford other parts. I'm ok with investing money into it, but just didn't want to get too crazy, but I guess you have to in these situations sometimes.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #10
jathur02

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Some good advice on here already. $65 is a very good shop rate for where I live, but I would find out if there's also a consumables rate on top of the labor, could be $5 or even more per hour. I feel like you asked two questions. First, how much various things cost. And second, if it is worth it. There are some very good recommendations of how to set up your budget already spelled out in response. As far as whether or not it's worth it, you have to decide that. What can make it worth it is owning and driving what you envision. My gut feeling is that you would not be able to sell it for anything near what you will pay to have the work done. I don't mean that as a discouragement, just as an answer to the question of worth. Another thing that seems common in builds of this complexity, is that they take years. That is already a cool truck. In fact, it's a very cool truck. I would recommend that you get a drawing or two done of what you envision for the finished product. Not a cartoon exaggeration, but a technically correct rendering of how it would sit and how the wheels and tires would fit. That will help you decide if it's worth it to spend the money to get from where you are to what you envision. And if you want to invest the amount of time.

Would be really cool to see some more pictures of your Suburban and the work that you've had done to it so far.
I appreciate the compliments and I have thought about just bagging it on the wheels and tires that I have on it now, which would save a ton, but I just love the look of the other wheels. I've had a rendering made and it does look good, but I will get some more pictures of it up soon. Thanks again
Old 07-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #11
Corts60
Just here to tinker

If they are quoting $15-$18k, assume at least 15-25% over that is what you will actually pay in labor. There are always unknowns with these projects. For example: will they loose half a day repairing damaged threads and hardware or just buying new, will any of the interferences removed have costs associated with replacing gaskets, hoses, etc., will smoothing out the firewall reveal hidden hidden rust unknown right now that needs to be dealt with?

Just some thoughts on what to expect. Most businesses under estimate to get the work.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #12
jathur02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
If they are quoting $15-$18k, assume at least 15-25% over that is what you will actually pay in labor. There are always unknowns with these projects. For example: will they loose half a day repairing damaged threads and hardware or just buying new, will any of the interferences removed have costs associated with replacing gaskets, hoses, etc., will smoothing out the firewall reveal hidden hidden rust unknown right now that needs to be dealt with?

Just some thoughts on what to expect. Most businesses under estimate to get the work.
Do you think it's possible to chart out the work and have an agreed upon price before dropping the truck off? I wanted to stay within a certain budget, so I was hoping that someone that does quality work, such as this guy, would be able to do something like this. I think with all of the work I plan on doing that it will be worth it, if I can get them down some on some of the costs. Thanks
Old 07-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Make sure the shop you use is a reputable shop that has done a ton of COMPLETED VEHICLES.
Some shops just do the fab work and then ship them out to body shops to finish the paint work and etc.
Are they doing all the rewiring? Replumbing brakes and fuel lines?
Finish work could be half your costs. Just like a house, there’s many hours and dollars in making it all look pretty.
Interior mods for the tubs?
A buddy of mine just paid a lot of money for custom carpet, because he had to modify the trans tunnel and stock “off the shelf” carpet wouldn’t fit.
Just some things to think about.

I would contact Phat Phabs in Oklahoma City, OK.
They crank out some of the nicest trucks in the country.
They can give you “real world” costs on what you are trying to do.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #14
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathur02 View Post
Do you think it's possible to chart out the work and have an agreed upon price before dropping the truck off? I wanted to stay within a certain budget, so I was hoping that someone that does quality work, such as this guy, would be able to do something like this. I think with all of the work I plan on doing that it will be worth it, if I can get them down some on some of the costs. Thanks
No matter how good somebody is, there are always unexpected costs. I work in the service world on yachts and I consider myself pretty darn good at estimation, but sometimes you just don't know until you get it apart. The trick is to manage customer expectations in the beginning before any work begins and be totally honest up front. I tend to scare customers in the beginning with my estimates because I estimate worst case scenario. But they usually always leave smiling as I come in at or under budget. I'd rather a customer left smiling than upset.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:01 AM   #15
jathur02

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Make sure the shop you use is a reputable shop that has done a ton of COMPLETED VEHICLES.
Some shops just do the fab work and then ship them out to body shops to finish the paint work and etc.
Are they doing all the rewiring? Replumbing brakes and fuel lines?
Finish work could be half your costs. Just like a house, there’s many hours and dollars in making it all look pretty.
Interior mods for the tubs?
A buddy of mine just paid a lot of money for custom carpet, because he had to modify the trans tunnel and stock “off the shelf” carpet wouldn’t fit.
Just some things to think about.

I would contact Phat Phabs in Oklahoma City, OK.
They crank out some of the nicest trucks in the country.
They can give you “real world” costs on what you are trying to do.

I will see what Phat Phabs says on the build, thanks. The quote I put is a labor quote only, so I'm guessing it could be more, but how do I know that is legit or should be added to the quote already? It just seems like some shops could just add random cost(s), that's why I was hoping I could get an agreed upon price for the work I want, but I see what you're saying completely. I know this is a lot of work, I just think that the 24x15's would look killer on a square body Suburban and can't get over wanting that look.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #16
jathur02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
No matter how good somebody is, there are always unexpected costs. I work in the service world on yachts and I consider myself pretty darn good at estimation, but sometimes you just don't know until you get it apart. The trick is to manage customer expectations in the beginning before any work begins and be totally honest up front. I tend to scare customers in the beginning with my estimates because I estimate worst case scenario. But they usually always leave smiling as I come in at or under budget. I'd rather a customer left smiling than upset.
This is what I'm hoping happens as well, I want to keep the build under a certain price and actually already stripped out the interior myself, so I'm hoping this saves me some to spend on other parts that I need/will need. Thanks
Old 07-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #17
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
I will see what Phat Phabs says on the build, thanks. The quote I put is a labor quote only, so I'm guessing it could be more, but how do I know that is legit or should be added to the quote already? It just seems like some shops could just add random cost(s), that's why I was hoping I could get an agreed upon price for the work I want, but I see what you're saying completely. I know this is a lot of work, I just think that the 24x15's would look killer on a square body Suburban and can't get over wanting that look.
Phat Phabs is a legit company. Don’t be surprised if there’s a waiting list.

I’m not sure who built this suburban, but it will give you an idea of what you’re looking for.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #18
jathur02

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post

I’m not sure who built this suburban, but it will give you an idea of what you’re looking for.
I've talked with him about his Suburban before actually, he had Dru custom builds do his set-up. It looks good, especially without being body dropped.

I meant to ask, but do you think it's possible to run 24's up front as well on my Suburban and still have a good turning radius?
Old 07-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #19
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:

Convert to disc brakes.