The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
Android04

Air Ride Suggestions

Happy Friday guys. I have a few questions to help me put the final touches on my air ride kit before ordering. I want to make sure I have everything in order.

I have a 1965 C10 SWB on stock 15x10 and 235/75/15 tires, when I bought the truck I completely replaced all of the suspension components knowing that I would go with air-ride soon. All bushings, bump stops, tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, shocks, bearings, brakes (drums) have all been replaced. Needless to say I want to stay with the drums because my brakes work like a charm and well its all new (plus I have two kids and we all know how expensive those little turds are)

Here is the plan:
EZ Classic Air Ride Kit (one 444c Compressor)
Cupping the lower control arms
No C Notch (I'm not a fan of cutting up the truck)

So the last thing I'm trying to figure out are the shocks. Should I do a shock relocation kit (front and rear) since my shocks are new? Or should I just buy shorter shocks and use the stock location?

Also I know I need to buy an adjustable track bar; any suggestions?

Lastly what size tires are best? I'm looking for white walls but with a 10" wheel I've been going back and forth. If you have any pictures please feel free to share.

I'm not looking to build anything crazy I just cruise to local shows and put around town in it. Not looking to build a hot rod or trailer queen. Just something safe for me and the family to enjoy and spend time together around town. I appreciate any and all help.
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
theastronaut

Re: Air Ride Suggestions

I guess you're not wanting to go much or any lower than stock since you don't want a C-notch and you've kept the bump stops?

If you're not going low then you can keep the stock shocks/locations.

If you're wanting to go low then you'll need a C-notch and to remove the bump stops and brackets completely. You'll also need to relocate the shocks front and rear.

Bag brackets aren't needed in the rear, you can bolt D2600 bags straight to the frame and trailing arms. You won't need lower cups up front if you're cupping the lower a-arms.

FrizzleFry's post on relocation the shocks is the best way I've seen. I did this on my '66 and it rode and handled great.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...postid=4730005

Tire size depends on how low you're going. On my '66 with a 5.5/7" drop I used 215/75-15's on stock front wheels, and 235/75-15's on 8" rear wheels. Your 10" wheels will be too wide up front if you're dropping it much, and may be too wide in the rear.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Android04

Thank you for the reply and I love your truck. I do plan to go low and plan to remove the bump stops and brackets during install. Also thank you on the suggestions for the shock brackets. Looks like I have some more work to do before installing my air ride.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
I guess you're not wanting to go much or any lower than stock since you don't want a C-notch and you've kept the bump stops?

If you're wanting to go low then you'll need a C-notch and to remove the bump stops and brackets completely. You'll also need to relocate the shocks front and rear.

Bag brackets aren't needed in the rear, you can bolt D2600 bags straight to the frame and trailing arms. You won't need lower cups up front if you're cupping the lower a-arms.

FrizzleFry's post on relocation the shocks is the best way I've seen. I did this on my '66 and it rode and handled great.

Tire size depends on how low you're going. On my '66 with a 5.5/7" drop I used 215/75-15's on stock front wheels, and 235/75-15's on 8" rear wheels. Your 10" wheels will be too wide up front if you're dropping it much, and may be too wide in the rear.

Is that C notched? I want to lower mine but don't want to do anything to mess up bed space.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Is that C notched? I want to lower mine but don't want to do anything to mess up bed space.
Only a small pipe notch, nothing that gets into the bed floor.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
raidmagic

Quote:
Only a small pipe notch, nothing that gets into the bed floor.
Hmmm, do you have the ability to put weight in it?
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
theastronaut

That's a crate with a VW long block in the back and it didn't bottom out. Depends on how low you go and what springs you use. Or just run bags and add more air.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #8
Fastest32

Quote:

You have the exact tire combo I want to get. I'm so glad you posted this pic. I've been looking for someone with this set up. I'm right in the middle of doing bags with just the bolt in rear notch. I've got the shock relocate brackets and the CPP super track bar. I'm currently trying to figure out how I'm gonna handle the front inner fender well issues.

GO SPURS GO!!!
Fastest32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest32 View Post
You have the exact tire combo I want to get. I'm so glad you posted this pic. I've been looking for someone with this set up. I'm right in the middle of doing bags with just the bolt in rear notch. I've got the shock relocate brackets and the CPP super track bar. I'm currently trying to figure out how I'm gonna handle the front inner fender well issues.
There was only about 1.5" clearance between the inner fender and tire at this height, and the crossmember was around 3" off the ground. So if it was bagged I'd need at least 1.5"-2" tall tubs with these tires to drop it on the crossmember.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
jweb

I would contact Travis at AZ Pro Performance. They will have everything you need and he has built a few of these trucks on this forum. Here's a similar air ride kit they sell:
http://www.azproperformance.com/Budg...63-72-C10.html

Here is a good trac bar, rear shock relocaters and C notch if you need them.
http://www.azproperformance.com/Dead...age-63-72-C10/
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #11
Android04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I would contact Travis at AZ Pro Performance. They will have everything you need and he has built a few of these trucks on this forum. Here's a similar air ride kit they sell:
http://www.azproperformance.com/Budg...63-72-C10.html

Here is a good trac bar, rear shock relocaters and C notch if you need them.
http://www.azproperformance.com/Dead...age-63-72-C10/
Thank you for the info and I will reach out.

-Andrew
Old 12-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

This is a good thread to read:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=575686

Member way2lo2 has an eBay store. Look for Streetmachinery
Boris has been bagging these trucks probably longer than anyone.
He can sell you these basic kits or Ridetech or Airlift products, all the way up to a full RoadsterShop chassis.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 PM   #13
GMC-YA68

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
This is a good thread to read:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=575686

Member way2lo2 has an eBay store. Look for Streetmachinery
Boris has been bagging these trucks probably longer than anyone.
He can sell you these basic kits or Ridetech or Airlift products, all the way up to a full RoadsterShop chassis.
Thanks for this thread. Just bought a 64 and will be getting a hold of him thanks to this.

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
Android04

Thank you everyone for the help.