The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #5151
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Did a bunch of clearing junk out of my truck yesterday, no "work" but I got something done!

WOW, am I glad I started this organization of stuff. Here I am, 700 miles from where I was when I got this stuff and stuck it in a box. I was able to walk out into my garage and go to a shelf full of boxes and get one of them and open it and wham, there are my Corvette tail light lenses. I highly recommend this guys!

By the way, that binder was my dad's when he was a Fiat salesman for a week and a half.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Last edited by MARTINSR; 04-15-2022 at 01:41 PM.
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:07 PM   #5152
mick53

This might get a little long. I finished making a new mounting system for my blower scoop. I have seen people cuss at these and been told they are a PITA. The problem is with a standard stud type install you have to put the air cleaners in the scoop and set it all on at once. Then you have to try to tighten the rear stud with the front air cleaner in the way. It might be easier with the shorter air cleaners but I need the tall ones for the blower. Also the holes in the scoop are larger than the flange on the carbs. Maybe a universal thing? Another problem for me is this thing is pretty heavy and cost north of $350. The only thing holding it on is the sheet metal caps. So I made some clamping thingy's to hold the scoop on and cut small notches half way through the lower silicone on the bottom of the air cleaner. I also put a small bevel on the bottom of the scoop and added an O ring. I put a paint mark on the air cleaner to help me line it up. I then put a stud in the knobs with the green Loctite treatment. I cut the profile down on the knobs and added a nylon washer to protect the paint. I can now remove the air cleaners without removing the scoop and no tools. It works unbelievably well. This was the last piece for the blower so now I can put it together. Thank you for your time.
Attached Images

Last edited by mick53; 04-16-2022 at 08:26 PM.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 12:44 AM   #5153
MARTINSR

Good stuff Mick!

Brian

Old 04-17-2022, 11:03 AM   #5154
MARTINSR

Ok, corny Brian here, this is what I worked on yesterday. I love making what I call "Memory Art" where something from your past (or someone elses of course) can be made into something to display in your home to spark memories instead of leaving it in a box in the attic.

I have had this piece of A pillar reinforcement since the day my co-worker cut it out of the car. Understand this craziness. You can see the dent on the A pillar in the original photo before the car was disassembled. Way up on the pillar about 2/3rds up. Something flew off a truck as I remember to do this damage, there was a dent on the top of the fender, and that A pillar, that was all. The thing was the dent on the A pillar was deep enough to cut and remove and see if the structure was damaged. If it is, it MUST be replace as there is no repairing it, and you can't leave it because the structural integrity has been compromised.

There was no problem with the insurance company paying for it, done deal, that reinforcement is damaged, it gets replaced.

The entire side of the car all the way back to the quarter and roof panel had to be replaced to change that reinforcement! I had saved this piece out in my garage "Man cave" just because it was so odd. Well, I just heard this great guy "Jimbo" who did the repair has had a stroke and will be out of the job for at least till mid October! Jim was one of the favorite co-workers ever, a super skilled tech, and a great guy. I had to make him this and will be sending it to him.

I will explain with it, you don't have to put it in your living room, I will understand. But I would put it in mine, because I am that corny.

He will understand my point, and he is a pretty classy guy so he probably won't put it in his living room, but it will be in his office or something I am thinking.

Prayers going out to Jimbo, hope he is on the mend sooner, but thank God he is doing as well as he is.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2022, 11:37 AM   #5155
Rickysnickers

That's very nice Brian. I'm sure he will like it and the sentiment behind it.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:21 PM   #5156
MARTINSR

One of those waking up in the middle of the night with your head spinning is paying off. It hit me that I can shrink the lip of the metal on both sides of the hood right up from the front and it would bring the hood forward solving the big gap on the sides.

Well, I shrank it a bit too much but it does look like it made a big difference. So in my next 5 minutes I will stretch that area that a shrank a little so it will work better.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2022, 07:00 PM   #5157
MARTINSR

I got my hood pretty close to welding! WHOOOO HOOOOOOOO

I can't believe how close, wow, this is a HUGE step for me.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2022, 04:38 AM   #5158
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
Way to go!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:11 AM   #5159
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
Way to go!
Thanks!

Brian

Old 04-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #5160
Chopped53

Quote:

Brian
Looking good! How much did you snip out of there?
Chopped53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:20 PM   #5161
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped53 View Post
Looking good! How much did you snip out of there?
2.5 inches, same as the cab. It's chopped 3.5 and sectioned the 2.5.

Brian

Old 04-20-2022, 12:30 PM   #5162
Chopped53

Brian,

I would love to see a side view pic.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:48 PM   #5163
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped53 View Post
Brian,

I would love to see a side view pic.
Here you go.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #5164
MARTINSR

Here is a real good look at the difference. A stock door and the chopped and sectioned one.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2022, 10:36 PM   #5165
MARTINSR

My 5 minutes didn't get anything photo worthy but I basically studied the seam on the hood. I have a plan!

After a 12 hour work day that is about all I can do.

Brian

Old 04-21-2022, 11:05 AM   #5166
mick53

I thought I needed bolts for the blower pully. ARP makes a 6 bolt set for $25 but they are back ordered until Aug. 22nd so I ordered two 5 packs (3/8-24x1") at $17 each then figured out I already had them after they shipped. Also the drive had no bolts in it. I have no idea why. I needed 2 plugs for the spacer plate so I ordered them (it's on backwards). The fuel lines on the carb interfere with the nitrous lines so I ordered another spacer plate, $130. I ordered a fitting and fuel pressure gauge for the fuel rail. Probably won't fit. The brass piece on the end of the fuel rail is a 4 lb. regulator. It should all be here by this weekend. These days if I can find someone that has parts in stock I don't look at the price. Thank you for your time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 04-22-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:00 PM   #5167
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I thought I needed bolts for the blower pully. ARP makes a 6 bolt set for $25 but they are back ordered until Aug. 22nd so I ordered two 5 packs (3/8-24x1") at $17 each then figured out I already had them after they shipped. Also the drive had no bolts in it. I have no idea why. I needed 2 plugs for the spacer plate so I ordered them (it's on backwards). The fuel lines on the carb interfere with the nitrous lines so I ordered another spacer plate, $130. I ordered a fitting and fuel pressure gauge for the fuel rail. Probably won't fit. The brass piece on the end of the fuel rail is a 4 lb. regulator. It should all be here by this weekend. These days if I can find someone that has parts in stock I don't look at the price. Thank you for your time.
Someone on the forum has the by-line, "There's nothing I've bought once that I can't buy twice." This would apply either if you would trash a part, or if you forgot you bought it the first time!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:11 PM   #5168
Chopped53

Quote:
Here is a real good look at the difference. A stock door and the chopped and sectioned one.

Brian
Thanks Brian. Looks great. I can barely imagine the work that went into that section job. Can't wait for an "on the road" shot.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:45 AM   #5169
mick53

I got the front drive from the 4-71 onto the 6-71. I had to make the dowel pin holes larger but otherwise it went right together. I'm polishing the spacer plate for the carbs and then I get to try to remember how all the linkage goes together.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #5170
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I got the front drive from the 4-71 onto the 6-71. I had to make the dowel pin holes larger but otherwise it went right together. I'm polishing the spacer plate for the carbs and then I get to try to remember how all the linkage goes together.
More jewelry for car addicts from Mick.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:59 AM   #5171
MARTINSR

Oh oh oh oh my goodness, I got my hood tack welded together. I can't tell you how this made me feel. Like Brian Setzer pulled up, got out and played Rock this Town in my driveway then before leaving handed me a winning Lotto ticket. It's been 4 years since I cut that hood up. Went a number of different ways, then wham, I made it happen, wow.
I didn't think I was going to get so much done. My goal was to put my5 minutes in and just get the front end tacked, that would have made me happy, but I kept going, I just can't believe it.
The last photo shows the back of the hood. You see, I moved the good top forward to make it fit. I now will add to the back using the metal I cut off in the sectioning of the hood.
I was at a car show this morning with my wife (this is what fired me up) and studied the stock hoods I saw.
I talked about this stuff with her at the show. After I tacked it I went and got her walking her out to see what I did. She cracks me up, she gets it, she asked me some questions on what I did with a serious interest.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2022, 07:45 PM   #5172
oldman3

Brian, nice job...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:13 PM   #5173
mick53

I finished the blower for the 292 in my 53 3100. I still need to make the nitrous lines but that's another day. Sometime I will figure out how to take pictures of shiny stuff so it doesn't look bad.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2022, 08:20 PM   #5174
mick53

Quote:
Oh oh oh oh my goodness, I got my hood tack welded together. I can't tell you how this made me feel. Like Brian Setzer pulled up, got out and played Rock this Town in my driveway then before leaving handed me a winning Lotto ticket. It's been 4 years since I cut that hood up. Went a number of different ways, then wham, I made it happen, wow.
I didn't think I was going to get so much done. My goal was to put my5 minutes in and just get the front end tacked, that would have made me happy, but I kept going, I just can't believe it.
The last photo shows the back of the hood. You see, I moved the good top forward to make it fit. I now will add to the back using the metal I cut off in the sectioning of the hood.
I was at a car show this morning with my wife (this is what fired me up) and studied the stock hoods I saw.
I talked about this stuff with her at the show. After I tacked it I went and got her walking her out to see what I did. She cracks me up, she gets it, she asked me some questions on what I did with a serious interest.

Brian
Does it still come apart in 2 halves?
Old 04-25-2022, 08:51 PM   #5175
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Brian, nice job...Jim
Thanks!

Brian