The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
flashed

Re: 1967 Chevelle

In in to see this one ,Im a Chevelle guy too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
jmking9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Has a tough, rough and ready vibe. (in a good way) you going to run it for a while as is or spiff it up with paint and such?
Thanks. Im planning on painting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
In in to see this one ,Im a Chevelle guy too.
Great! My good friend in high school drove a 66 that we had a lot of good times in. I've wanted one every since. I like all years of a-bodys, but the lines of the 66-67's have always been my favorite.

I've been working on a few small projects as I take the car apart. I went throught the instrument cluster and added aftermarket gauges from Shiftworks. They aren'the exact matches for the original guages, but they still look nice. Only the purists will know the difference. I also took the vent windows apart and replaced the rubber pieces. While I had them apart, I cleaned them up and repainted/polished them. They came out pretty nice I think.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
jmking9

More small projects. Polished the headlight rings, and cleaned up the front and rear bumper brackets.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
jmking9

New Moog steering parts, ready to go in when I go through the suspension.
I'm replacing the original steering box with one out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is a fairly common upgrade in the Chevelle world. The Jeep box bolts right in and has the same turning radius as the original. It even uses the stock Chevelle pitman arm. The difference is in the ratio and the valving. Everyone on the Chevelle forums that has done the swap seems to be very satisfied. I guess I'll find out. All I needed to make the conversion was a rag joint out of an 80's chevy truck, and a set of press in adapters for the hose fittings. You can get the rag joint and fittings from Lee Power Steering for about 50-60 bucks. They even include a little tool to press the fittings in with.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
notchbackgta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
New Moog steering parts, ready to go in when I go through the suspension.
I'm replacing the original steering box with one out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is a fairly common upgrade in the Chevelle world. The Jeep box bolts right in and has the same turning radius as the original. It even uses the stock Chevelle pitman arm. The difference is in the ratio and the valving. Everyone on the Chevelle forums that has done the swap seems to be very satisfied. I guess I'll find out. All I needed to make the conversion was a rag joint out of an 80's chevy truck, and a set of press in adapters for the hose fittings. You can get the rag joint and fittings from Lee Power Steering for about 50-60 bucks. They even include a little tool to press the fittings in with.
Is the jeep a metric "o" ring fitting for the hoses and you're going to use the old style flare fitting? I was looking into those fittings, but I wasn't sure that was correct for what I needed.
notchbackgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
jmking9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystoke View Post
Great start, this is my dream car. When I first got my license the family car was a 67 chevelle 283 with 3 on the tree. It was a four door that I drove the wheels off of but have sworn that I would have the 2 door version. That was 40 years ago but that dream still lives. Looking forward to seeing your build.
Thanks, glad to have you following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
Is the jeep a metric "o" ring fitting for the hoses and you're going to use the old style flare fitting? I was looking into those fittings, but I wasn't sure that was correct for what I needed.
Yes, the Jeep box uses metric o ring fittings. The press in adapters make it possible to use the original inverted flare p.s. hoses of the chevelle.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
DBLSPRT68

Thumbs up Re: 1967 Chevelle

Nice Chevelle! I've always loved the 67 as well. I know where a 67 Malibu is sitting and rotting away.... It's been sitting so long, it's probably completely rotten underneath. Yours is going to be FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! What colors are you thinking about?
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote