The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
grancuda

Swapping Straight 6 (I6) to newer style 350 or 454

My daily driver I6 is just about done, I put 35,000 miles on it in the past year and a half and it is very sick so I need to start gathering parts for swapping to a V8. I am searching craigslist and salvages for low mileage, good running long blocks and I am either going with a TBI based 350(running a carb), a Vortec 350(running a carb) or a '96 454 Vortec(running a carb).

The thing I am most uncertain about swapping is the motor mount arrangement, do I keep the current frame mount but move it forward and what style motor mount is best with headers.

Do each of the motors above have provisions for the clutch Z-bar(bell crank) in the side of the block and do each have provisions for a Pilot bushing and if so is it just the stock pilot bushing or a special one for running an old Saginaw 3 speed behind a newer motor

Is there a way I can mount my alternator on the drivers side down low since that is where the factory wiring is now, I have no power steering or air so hopefully there is something I can do there.
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote