The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Closed on Saturdays

I have a sandblasting place I use that is closed on Saturdays. I get that people want weekends off (I have them off) but a place like this seems like at the very least should be open for drop offs. I'm pretty sure a whole lot of people are like me and really don't have time to be doing extra stuff on weekdays. Seems like they are missing out on an opportunity.

I need to have an extra set of keys made for my truck, gas cap and shop for my nephew so he can have access to it when I'm at work. Went to the only locksmith in town ... closed on Saturdays. Just seems odd to me.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Closed on Saturdays

I sorta get it..I used to work m-f..time away from work was much needed..now i work the crazy 12hr rotating shift so I'm off work 15 days a month..so at least I can do my business during the week..funny but what aggregates me is people closing a certain day during the week..but you would think a m-f business would at least have someone answering the phone on sat..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

My brother in law owns a small machine/welding/fix it shop. He stay covered up for the most part. He used to be open on Saturdays until noon for small(er) jobs etc. That turned into having the " I have to have it that day" people. He made the choice that while he may miss some business he would rather close completely on Saturdays.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Same around here, places you would really like to be open on a Saturday are closed. If I want welding gas I have to remember to bring the tank to work with my on Fridays so I can go during lunch. All 3 places that are somewhat close to me are m-f only. I don't remember it being that way. It seems when I was growing up most places were open at least Saturday morning, now it's not many at all.

My wife's vet clinic is open saturday morning until noon and some saturdays they pull in more $$ in 4 hours than a full tuesday. They compensate for it by only working 4 day weeks and every other saturday - I am quite jealous of her schedule, I could work 4 hours every other saturday for a 4 day work week....
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

There's still a few businesses around here that are closed on mon..and open tues thru sat....used to in our local town all the stores were open mon thru sat but closed at noon on wed....next town over it was the same except they closed at noon on thurs...hardly anyone does it anymore..
Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
NONHOG

What I don't get is the wrecking yards closed on weekends.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
midniteblues

The shop i help out in is closed all weekend, by Fri eveing work is moved outa the way and the personal projects are uncovered.
My buddy says,
" I didn't go into business for myself to work the weekends".

There's enough work to keep 5 of us busy 7 days a week but what's the point of have toys if you can't play with them.

The only store around too refill any tanks is outside the next town over. They recently became a ace hardware and no longer open Sundays at all.
Since then I keep a extra propane grill tank and welding tank around.

Odd days open always seem to bite me on the bum. Awhile ago 3 of us made a plan to visit a semi local black powder shop well we get there on a wensday 10 am and they weren't open. Never even gave a thought too call ahead.

One of our local scrap yards closes for lunch and it seemed I always ended up waiting a hour to get weighed
I showed up on a sun.
Once and got weighed and unloaded and when I went in to collect she had asked me, hey don't you know we are closed on sundays....

Luckily my local beer distribution knows me all to well they are always waiting for me 10 min after closing time
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #8
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
What I don't get is the wrecking yards closed on weekends.
That's because most don't care about us, the DIY people anymore. Parts on late model stuff is so high dollar now that they can sell to the local bodyshops and online and never have to let the public into the yard.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 07-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #9
95 S_Trucker

I run an independent auto repair shop, and I could work 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, 13 months a year if I wanted to.

I haven't worked a single Saturday since my son was born. Some things are more important than money in your pocket.

However, I work 55-60 hours a week Monday thru Friday. From 5:00/6:00 AM to 5:00 PM. I don't feel guilty when 5:00 PM comes and I walk out the door.

Saturday is my day to get stuff done around the house or shop, or spend some much needed time with the family.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #10
Indian113

I used to get the same complaints when I had my Shop. I was Always Closed just when Somebody remembered he needed a Qt. of Oil or something simple because they were BUSY when I was OPEN. Funny thing was my hours were 8:30 to 5:30 M-F and 8-12 Sat. I spent a lot of hours in there before 8:30 and EVEN more after 5:30. But I wasn't missing Anything my Kids were In. Sports or Band or Drama Shows I didn't care how Important it was for me to be JUST Waiting for Someone to come in my Shop! Rant Over put yourself in their shoes and imagine Having to be Nice to someone You can't Stand just because they are a Customer.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
67ChevyRedneck

I don't think anyone is trying to say owner's/employees have to work 6 days a week, but it would be nice for those of us that do work a 9-5 to be able to get done what we need without having to take time off. Most places I know of that are open weekends do shifts, so you're off on a weekday if you're up to work on Saturday. If you're a small independent and you're all there is and you don't want to be open weekends, that's your choice, but I think the premise of the thread is about the larger businesses/shops that used to be open on Saturdays and no longer are.

I know that some places (especially BBQ restaurants for some reason) are open Tues-Sat and close Sun/Mon.

Want to work too many hours? Go into construction. A 7 day, 70+ hour week for some places is normal. SO glad I got out of that crap.
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 07-03-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #12
davischevy

Want to work too many hours? Go into construction. A 7 day, 70+ hour week for some places is normal. SO glad I got out of that crap.[/QUOTE]

So you got out of construction. Hum, I never thought of that.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Funny you mentiomed bbq joints redneck..around here the better bbq joints are closed on mon to...as well as motorcycle shops closed on mon
Old 07-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
davischevy

Don't forget the beauty shops are closed on Mondays.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #15
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Howd you know that other larry?...where you been spending your spare time? And is it helping..haha
Old 07-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #16
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Howd you know that other larry?...where you been spending your spare time? And is it helping..haha
If you got a chance to look at me, you would know how rhetorical that question is.

Beauty ain't in my description.

Actually my wife was a hairdresser for years.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:04 AM   #17
supercheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Just seems odd to me.
You could apply for a 2nd job in those places to cover the desirable Saturday shift!

Extra money in your pocket and you won't need places to be open on Saturday because you'll be busy working!

You can thank me later by doing my grunt work while I'm at the lake on SATURDAY.
supercheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #18
GR8-68

We don't open at all on Saturdays, if you want our product bad enough you will make accommodations to get there to purchase it. Life is to short, everyone should enjoy it while they can. I do not expect anyone else to sacrifice their time with friends and family for me. Builders try to call or text me after shop hours or during the wekend, not happening, they will get an answer when I get back to work. To many people chase the dollars now rather than spending time with their families. Auto zone is open 7 days a week if you need something to bad.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #19
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
We don't open at all on Saturdays, if you want our product bad enough you will make accommodations to get there to purchase it. Life is to short, everyone should enjoy it while they can. I do not expect anyone else to sacrifice their time with friends and family for me. Builders try to call or text me after shop hours or during the wekend, not happening, they will get an answer when I get back to work. To many people chase the dollars now rather than spending time with their families. Auto zone is open 7 days a week if you need something to bad.
That's the reason we can't get anything built. The millwork guy won't answer the phone.

At least that's what we tell the owner.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Retail schedules suck. They rarely get two days off together and getting two weekdays off isn't the same as getting the weekend. Those people can't ask to have the family reunion, car shows, special events, moved to Wednesdays either.

I'm fine wth a business taking the weekend off and me finding a way to deal with it. That's what everyone did in my earlier years and prior. We used to have "Blue Laws" where only necessities could be sold on Sunday...food, fuel, medical, hygene is about it. The shopping district, parts stores, lumber yards, scrap yards all shut down at noon on Saturday. It was a better world. The pace let up and people regrouped between weeks. Gave families time to be together and workers could get some piece of mind. Today it's 24/7/365 I want it all and I want it now. It sure doesn't seem to serve to make people any more happy or content. People are now getting used to tapping a button and having their wish come true in under 24 hours. That mentality is oozing into the service industries and people expect intangibles to magically disappear. Patience is a virtue. That holds true even more now than ever. There ain't no gettin' around it. If something is worth having, it's worth waiting for. I built many trucks during the "Blue Laws" period. Just had to do what I had to do.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #21
GR8-68

Tim always has a great way with words. A man with much wisdom.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #22
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Went in to the locksmith that was closed the other day. Hey you weren't open when I stopped in last. Oh really? Must have been a Saturday or a Sunday because we are open all week. No way I'm going to make my employees come in on the weekend, that's family time. Nice lady, but she kind of scared me LOL!