The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2002, 03:47 PM   #1
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

my junkyard experience today from noon to about 1:30

went tp springfield today, went to northside auto salvage, old guy named popcorn and his wife run the place with a daughter and three or four yard gophers, they had four 67-72, a 68 shortstep(third 67--72 one ive ever seen now!) had rust hole sin every panel and no floors left intact, and im talking holes that you can see for fiteen or more feet away, that was the best shape one they had there besides a 68 or 70 longfleet that was tiny hair better in th4 rockers, but stil ate out all over. then he has a 72 longfleet that he swears to God has the 327 original in it, i tolds him that 68 was last year but he wouldnt hear of it, says he had a new one that got the 327, so i was like uhmmm ok yeah right whatever., it runs and drives except that oil is full of water due to river flooding and he swore its an auto and that he ran and drove it around yard, so i go into truck and its a damned three on tree,
pass side cab is caved in (from them shoving truck around probaby), literally no rocker panel on pass side and most all of drive rocker completely missing, bed caved on both sides,
and but grille very sweet shape and all glass and hood and radiator and alt brackets and short w/p SBC setup manual steering and manual disc brakes though and thats about it,.
no posi or P/S or engines on any truck around of course cpet that and the one 69 70 thats smashed(has engine no power anything either), good luck finding posi or p/s or p/b on these oldie farm trucks, hje wants 300 for truck as is, brakes do work and steering does work, but would have to have done 65$ in title work and have it hauled 40 miles for 75$
i passed, wasnt enough metal on truck left to do it, engine and grille and axle and front discs wasnt enough to justify 300 for trashed but complete truck, all others no drivetrain, including mostly gutted Custom 68 longfleret with woodgrain CHEVROLET tailgate aluminum panel and not anything elese good on truck cept maybe instr panel, missing axle, thats it,
and a 69 or 70 longfleet with smashed down cab, and doors,,,, 70's blue smogger 2bbl engine shoved in it, 4 speed 465, unknown ratio 12 bolt. that 68 shortstep has ram horns on it, pass side angled, driver side straight, whats up with that ???? anyone??? pipes all there, so apparently it works like that on 2wd long bed V8.... he says 75 each ram horn, i was like uhmmm dude you can get new vette ones for just iunder 100 each, he wouldn hear of it, claims that they are hot item and everyone wants them things and that he has hard time keeping them in yard, so uhm howcome i know of three sets he has in the yard right now then ?? huh ? duh,......

yards are gay these days, i passed on custom/cst good chrome trim 68 grille assembly and headlight bezels off the stepside for 45, and hood is mint, probably 50 for it with trim and letters there one ding in trim. 69longhornjeff or someone could get it for halfway good deal, i would,. but dont need it, are too many left yet, too common really yuet, lots of 68 and 72 trucks in yards yet, but no metal pieces cept hoods and grille, doors always misisng entire corners and crashed in and beds same way ate out bad bad missing lots metal and fender pocketsa always missing, and cabs i wont go there about the cabs..... eek
too much for a hood 50 is, 45 decent for nice chrome grille,. i oculd go back and get it if someone wants me to.,., for a few more bucks just to save a nice one from shredder if they can use it, i have to resist spending $$ and i didnt today cept for gas $$, i got to go 85 in maro on weay bnack with tops off and left name and number with some older lady with a 78 or so scottsdale of her sons' in her front yard that realy ever gets moved, in little town of broadwell along the freeway, runs and drives and for here is not too much rust through really, just rockers missing metal and lsome of rear arches and such ate out, still a beater though,..

no more yards for me these days anymore, are insane as i already knew, dunno what i was thinking when i though i could get something, and just for him taking my time of bull****ting me i took two CST cigar lighter trim plates and a camaro dash emblem and hatch release switch all for the Z28, almost took a CST cigar lighter assembly but coils packed with crap,
tried to get some radio knowbs or radi plates, but none were findable, all trucks had crappy aftermarket radios,,

Plus side though i got a free cool ass ride in a hufge ass endloader bucket across the entire yard so that i cpild get to the 68 step that was sitting in floodwater about 6" or so so i oculd inspect the truck inside and out, had been sititng in sun for years,.. everything vinyl ws completely flaked gone, piles of vinyl flakes throughout enterior, sun is damned mean... no options cept Z52 custom and G60 HD rear springs and 503AA Lt. Green(my favorite color besides anniversary 68 gold)

i may have to buy that 67 3/4 ton GMC 2wd dana 60 4 speed v8 truck across town for 300 or less if possible even though cab is compoetely gone and fenders bad and bedsides actually not any noticeable rusthrough but are dentd, wood bed though! dana60 leaf rear though and running v8 tha ien doesnt seem so bad a deal for here now after this yard trip today,. wouild be loser deal elswhere liek south or west though,... im not stupid, im aware of that fact, but cant do anything about it here,

tell me your junkyard stories recently., and what tou think of this or that

laterz.,

Last edited by Fast68Chevy; 06-18-2002 at 05:12 AM.
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
68 Suburban

Randy, how many cups of coffee have you had today??? :p
Old 06-17-2002, 04:07 PM   #3
imaindianoutlaw
GMC SHORT FLEET F/S

Really! Thats the longest post I have ever seen! My last trip to my favorite yard I looked at a complete 71/2 Blazer in hugger orange glove box said posi's and a skid plate! And the buckets were there too I am planning on going back to pick up a few things maybe this week?

HVACR FOREMAN.
LEWISBURG U.S.P.
imaindianoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:21 PM   #4
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

Randy, I don't do junkyards, so nothing to tell. But I loved your post. Very interesting!! I enjoy reading about other people's adventures and it's a nice break from "how do you remove the ignition switch". So, don't take no crap about long posts - keep 'em coming.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:42 PM   #5
jay-dawg
chevelito

damn...50 for a mint hood? Still too much? I wish I lived on the mainland. I dont think there is anything here. One of these days I'll make it to the yard.

shoot even if I do ask you to get it for me, shipping would still be a *****. Well, Its probably better than getting a brand new one for 3 times the amount.

just ranting here.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI

Last edited by jay-dawg; 06-17-2002 at 05:05 PM.
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 06:07 PM   #6
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Randy.......just thought I'd remind you.......that $300 dollars that you're thinking of spending on that other truck..........that could be used to buy some good new parts for the truck that you have sitting there now.......

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 06:59 PM   #7
70cst10

Really! Why don't you just finish a truck for a change???

1964 Chevelle SS 283/M20
70cst10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:54 PM   #8
superchevy
Got big-block?

I got a lead on a yard the other day that was supposed to have "a bunch of old cars and trucks in it" according to this guy I know.
He drew me a map to it - they don't have a phone, and it's miles off a major road, and way down a dirt road in the country.
Anyways, I drove out to find it the other day. After a couple of wrong turns, I finally found the place. I'm pulling in, and there's a short fleet '68 bed sitting on the ground in front of the "office" filled with junk.
After a little chit chat with the old guy that owns/lives there, I set off to see what they had.
Had about 10 67-72's that were pretty well picked over. But, I lost count of all the 67-72 doors, hoods, and fenders they had stacked up - some perfect, others not so.
A near perfect short stepside bed.
Piles of old exhaust manifolds with lots of ramshorns and old big block exhausts.
More pulleys piled up than you could count.
And, what I was really interested in, a '67 SS 396 Impala convertible complete with the 396, trans and rear.
Going back out there this weekend to pick up some stuff - and maybe that Impala

'72 Corvette convertible 454/4spd/ac, ps, pb

'73 GMC Sierra Grande short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'77 K5 Blazer black on red, 350/T350/NP205 ps, pb, ac all original

'78 GMC Sierra Classic short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'72 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 38 built.
'73 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 71 built.
'75 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 25 built.

SOLD! '72 GMC K25 4x4 468/4L80e/NP205
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...23#post4324423

SOLD!'55 Chevy gasser 496/4spd
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...96#post4324396
superchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 10:44 PM   #9
PushinPebbles
My dad's 68

HEHEHE.............I live beside a junk yard.......and i know the dude really well so i get mad parts....................and one of my dads friends has one about 12 miles away hes got like 5 of our trucks
.....................LOL......................and im getting there..................
besides my parts trucks.......we have a 75 chevy pick up,,a 7? malibu(disc brakes and a 350),,,a 69 chevellt 2DR hardtop,,,a 69 elcamino,, bith were 306 cars,,,,.....................................Jack
67 C-10 SWB 355 built T-350 tranny hurst shifter 17x8in KMC's on michelins, clear tails and back up lights slammed**UPDATE i have decided on my bag setup and will post further info when i recieve all the parts
88 1/2 ton suburban 4x4 350/700R-4*having a 9 in lift w/ 38 in tires
4 12 inch Lightning Audios
87 silverado 3/4ton jacked up 10-12 inches black and rubberized bed coating 35 in michelans ******************************
Dad's truck
68 C-10 stepside, 468 BB, tubbed, weld wheels, Nason black,lots more
grand dads truck 68 C-10 stepside
fuel inj. 350/700R-4*soon in audi silver*
84 toyota pickup 22R 5 speed 2WD slammed, shaved and all the body lines filled w/ buickGN scoop,bout to be sprayed in 2003 mustang green metallic w/ silver flames
S/N=BIGGYTYME@aol.com
(hydros)
"No fat chics, truck will scrape"
PushinPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 10:58 PM   #10
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

id gladly pay 50 for a mint 67-68 hood....... i need one........ but IL is way to far of course
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 11:21 PM   #11
fishuntr

Thumbs up

Randy, we must have been junkin at the same time, except for time zones. I was out at a pullit yourself yard for a couple hours today. One of my sons tipped me they had a 72 3/4 Cheyenne with leafs and a Dana 60 in it. Reportedly it also had saddle tanks, which interested me. I had to go check it out.

Temp was about 100+ and the air was full of smoke from a big fire in Cajon Pass that has I15 closed for the second day. The guy that took my dollar and stamped my hand told me to not get too hot and asked me if i had water (no). He was concerned about this old guy. (Not enough to help though).

Anyway, sure enough, there she was, about 8 rows back. The interior was pretty well picked over, body looked good except for the wood in the bed. It had a small block and a TH350; and, "hot dog" a nice pair of saddle tanks exactly like mine. I need a passenger side one, so i crawled under that puppy and got it out without too much trouble. While i was at it i liberated the selector valve. All in all, a good time. Tank cost me $23.

I love goin junkin.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:25 PM   #12
Shane
Account Suspended

here we go again.....
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 11:34 PM   #13
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

You all forgot all about back in 2000 when members such as Les were posting waaaaaaaaayyyy huge longgggggg single post or reply ina thread way longer than this thread will get with any replies, make smy post look like two sentences,,, i freaked the firsd ttime i came on this site just after i ran into it and saw some of his postings, i swear he typed entire books out, musta had speedy gonzalaz fingers, damned,,,, guess no one recallas those days, i do tohugh, i dont know why, maybe i should just forget all about them also then,.... hmmm.,,, wierd,,,,

hoods are still kinda commonly found, cant find any from a person say arounds town or something, but in yards cuz the damned yards get al the trucks in the cities,, cuz they suck,,, they normally are the only thing that dot rot through except for a couple ive had, hoods ive tried to sell for 20 and no one wants to scrap they go,..
i dont get it, i try to explain this though as best as i can.,.
whenever i try and sell a nice hood for 20 and never can and i see yards elling them for 50 or 60 its like uhnmm wtf is going on here what is wrong with this picture,,,, ? they sell simple common 12 bolt rear axles for 125 or more and the damn ram horns for 75, and we cant even sell ours for half that,. odd,,,, advertise all you want, the yards do good, wasting ppl's $$ on parts they could be getting for way less from a person.

grilles are pretty hard to rid of too, im not messing with htme anymore. hoods are about only tihng that ever survive, so are some around yet, have found hole sin some, never sagged unless something was dropped on them but then they are crinked on the body line down the center of hood, easy to spot.
got bondo in the one on the 71/68 truck out here on driver side slanted face, big spot of it... dent covered up no rust 'cuz is a TX hood,. good enoiugh for me, I am gonna glaze and primer fill that are until is perfect. same with any dings anywhere, even though rockers are gonna be covered over with repacement skins and corners too, but still wont be bad for a 71 here,. no welder though so doingb it cheap way just to make it look better quick. mechanical aspect is more important than body really.

superchevy damn, i need ot move ther,e frickin cars that odl stil floating around, and in yards ? wtf....
Quote:
they had.
Had about 10 67-72's that were pretty well picked over. But, I lost count of all the 67-72 doors, hoods, and fenders they had stacked up - some perfect, others not so.
A near perfect short stepside bed.
Piles of old exhaust manifolds with lots of ramshorns and old big block exhausts.
More pulleys piled up than you could count.
And, what I was really interested in, a '67 SS 396 Impala convertible complete with the 396, trans and rear.
Going back out there this weekend to pick up some stuff - and maybe that Impala
i didnt buy the 300$ gmc, its gone, probably in scrap yard i bet ya, no one here who oculd have sene it would want it, is more like a 25$ truck, totally trashed out bad, hood was good and 67 gmc grille was good and the rear axle and tranny though. but thats it.. parts no one would want, not worth trying,,, i owulkd have used the dana 60 rear and extra leaves, thats it though,

i do need to get truck running, working on it if i can get exhaust, none seems to exist for these trucks besides new, all i need are a pair of damned stock headpipes off a y pipe or whatever., wierd,.. stock angled back exh headpipes rarer than hoods or something ??

forgot what esle i was gonna say, need to quit anyways, cuz
i type with four fingers cuz i have no clue how to type normal, at all.,

laterz,
Old 06-17-2002, 11:38 PM   #14
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

shane.,,,,,

you know, im curious,, how come you cant find doors down there in TX< thats where these 71 ones and truck is from, i dont get it ???
should be all kinds of parts trucks down there all of them should have solid doors there,

wierd,,,,
Old 06-17-2002, 11:43 PM   #15
Shane
Account Suspended

because I am not in Texas.......read the sig, dude.....

weird???? no weird is buying all the stuff you can (good stuff and/or junk).....cutting it up with a torch....and then calling the scrap guy to haul it off.......and then feeling sorry for yourself because you dont have anything to drive......now thats weird.

Last edited by Shane; 06-17-2002 at 11:58 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 09:26 AM   #16
imaindianoutlaw
GMC SHORT FLEET F/S

Exclamation

Oh Man!

HVACR FOREMAN.
LEWISBURG U.S.P.
imaindianoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:06 AM   #17
71Chev

You musta been on one of your "poor randy" trips, back in 2000 if you think you saw book long posts by me! I struggle to get a few lines typed out.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:23 AM   #18
hwedding56

Something tells me that this is going to be a long thread. Hope you didn't check to have an e-mail sent LOL Hang tuff buddie
Herbie
68 1-1/2 ton Dump 12' rock Bed soon to have fast68's 292 installed
72 GMC 3/4 ton Crew Cab 402 BBL
400 tranny ( ok I bought it from Crews) Its one ugly long WB long bed 4 door truck!!!!!!!!!
hwedding56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:29 AM   #19
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I enjoy your long posts, but I was thinking that you must be the worlds fastest typer with that many of them! :p
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 12:00 PM   #20
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Randy, if all you need is exhaust, why not just buy a complete kit from LMC of WES? They both advertise kits that will hook right up to the stock manifolds. Or, why not just drive the truck with no exhaust to the muffler shop and get a system built? A full length system with 2" pipe shouldn't cost you much more than $200, and you would have $100 left over for whatever else afterwards. You could get some turndowns and run a non-full length system for a little less too. Dude, don't scrap your '71 C10, you really need to set your mind on finishing it! Even if it is 8 different colors, you can still have a good running truck, especially with the 350/4spd you used to have in your signature.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 12:29 PM   #21
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

71Chev, you just barked up the wrong tree, Les was an old member that used to be around and has not been for two years at least, i was not talking about you., Les is the name of the board member, change your diapers.,. jeez. Id like to know why you jumped to the conclusion that i was talking about you, this forum is way not how it used to be in the old days, back then ppl would not be so damn pissy and critical of a persons post or reply looking for every little flaw and detail, and so damn fast to jump to false conclusions and assumptions,
the reply above was meant to be positive ok, not as a negative post towards anyone, sigh,,,, you cant tell my emotions in that reoky, and i cant tell yours in yours, so,,,, i always keep this fact in mind when i read or make posts, but it doesnt always work out as planned, with 16,000+ posts theres bound to be some that may be wierd or goofy or misunderstood, etc etc, maybe youre not very open minded, or maybe youre both unforgiving type of persons, unfortunately, all i can do is assume, but im not here to be assuming things about others that i do not know personally,. and i dont unless they give me reason to,

Shane whatever, TX, AL, AR, GA, all the same thing,,,, close enough ,lots less rust there too. sorry reason why i keep thinking you are is because bbs1965 is in TX, he is Shane too,.,.,.., honest mistake, if you want to be pissy and critical about it and think that you are Mr sooo perfect and dont ever make little mistakes like that well then have at it,. i dont care, its all you then, .,.,
im not here to play child games and be immature and crap because i am not, ask any member who has met me, i have met alot of them, ok.,,,,,,you seems to be really pissy and critical alot, just like whateva is, wherever he too off too, ill just avoid you and not acknowledge your existence too if you have a problem with me, i dont need to waste my time defending myself from retarded things, cant please every grape on the grapevine you know,,, too bad though,,

thanks guys,

Last edited by Fast68Chevy; 06-18-2002 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:56 PM   #22
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

this just goes to show even more how much i dont need to be on this forum, and need to quit coming, its getting old, really.,,, was great until about the last 5 or 6 months now when it grew quick as heck.
id like to know what others of you think also.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:04 PM   #23
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

you say this forum has gone down hill in the past 6 months every couple months....... really i dont get it...... its gotten better and better cant wait tell there is 10,000 members
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 02:22 PM   #24
71Chev

Never knew another member named Les.
My apolgies.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:32 PM   #25
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I agree, it has gotten better. Randy, if I was your neighbor, we would probably be best friends. (I'm sure of this). But you do seem to have a short fuze sometimes. Nonetheless, the board wouldn't be the same if you left.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote