The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
joeydurango

NP205 Experts - Sudden Transfer Case Noise (?) in 2WD

Looked around quite a bit and didn't see anything that sounded like my particular issue, so I'm asking fresh.

'72 K10, TH350, D44 front axle, NP205 case. NP205 is properly full with gear oil (I know some say to use ATF, I prefer gear oil).

I've used 4WD a fair bit on my truck. Both 4LO and 4HI work as they should. I rebuilt the axle a couple years ago. The transfer case has always felt nice and tight, not sloppy or noisy (I had another worn out one years ago to compare to.)

Shifting hasn't ever been super smooth. My procedure is to stop, lock the hubs, put transmission in neutral, then shift the case as necessary. Shifting into 4LO or 4HI from 2HI is no problem. Shifting from 4LO to 2HI, I often get a grinding noise - I assume this is because I'm not shifting quickly enough and the transmission begins spinning when everything is in the neutral state. If I leave the case in neutral and put the transmission in park, I get a clicking noise (much milder than the gear-grinding noise). Again, I assume this is because the transmission has begun spinning with the engine. Neither of these noises ever struck me as indicating serious harm.

Current problem: After a recent 4x4 drive, I shifted back into 2HI, unlocked the hubs, and drove back to town with no problems. Once at slow speed in town, I noticed that while on the gas (even slightly) everything sounded normal, but if I let off the gas and coasted I could hear a slight grinding/jangling noise, and could feel a slight vibration through the floorboards. I checked the hubs to make sure they were unlocked - yes, and the noise was still there. Tested with hubs unlocked in both 4HI and 4LO and the noise was still present. I pulled the caps off the hubs and everything is in proper working order - the hubs are not accidentally engaging. Made a mark on the front driveshaft, and sure enough, when I don't hear the noise, it doesn't move. When the noise is present, the driveshaft does spin, even though the hubs are unlocked and the case is in 2HI. It feels like the front driveshaft isn't completely engaged, just partially/intermittently, if that's possible, like something isn't quite staying where it should.

So, the questions: For you NP205 experts out there, does this sound like something wrong with the case? Is it possible to adjust something externally that might help, or am I looking at something broken internally? And was this potentially caused by the occasional grinding of gears when going back to 2HI?

Any advice/knowledge would be greatly appreciated!
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
whtgmc68

Re: NP205 Experts - Sudden Transfer Case Noise (?) in 2WD

If I am reading your post correctly, you only hear and feel the problem when your coasting. If that is correct, then I have the same problem in a rebuilt 205 thst is mated to a NV4500, but mine only whines and vibrates when I let off the gas and I am over 60 mph.

I have the NV4500 fluid in my 205 as it was recommended incase the seal between the tranny and xfer case blew so that it wouldnt smoke my syncros.

I have never thought to look to see if the front drive shaft is turning even while in 2H.
whtgmc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
Mike C

U-joints and pinion dust seals can also make noise in coast mode. Or on/off accelerator.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
U-joints and pinion dust seals can also make noise in coast mode. Or on/off accelerator.
That's where I was going to go is with the driveshaft itself. I'll bet the CV is dry or worn out
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
snip

Current problem: After a recent 4x4 drive, I shifted back into 2HI, unlocked the hubs, and drove back to town with no problems. Once at slow speed in town, I noticed that while on the gas (even slightly) everything sounded normal, but if I let off the gas and coasted I could hear a slight grinding/jangling noise, and could feel a slight vibration through the floorboards. I checked the hubs to make sure they were unlocked - yes, and the noise was still there. Tested with hubs unlocked in both 4HI and 4LO and the noise was still present. I pulled the caps off the hubs and everything is in proper working order - the hubs are not accidentally engaging. Made a mark on the front driveshaft, and sure enough, when I don't hear the noise, it doesn't move. When the noise is present, the driveshaft does spin, even though the hubs are unlocked and the case is in 2HI. It feels like the front driveshaft isn't completely engaged, just partially/intermittently, if that's possible, like something isn't quite staying where it should.

So, the questions: For you NP205 experts out there, does this sound like something wrong with the case? Is it possible to adjust something externally that might help, or am I looking at something broken internally? And was this potentially caused by the occasional grinding of gears when going back to 2HI?

Any advice/knowledge would be greatly appreciated!
Check to see if the transfer case shift lever is loose. Some have a grease zerk. I you have one, grease it.

If you are from the upper mid-west, put one of your choppers* on the shift lever in the cab.

*For you non-upper-mid-westerners choppers or also known as a pair of choppers are leather mittens with wool or some other warm fabric mitten insert in the leather mitten. Choppers are effective at keeping your hands warm in the winter, serve as hockey gloves when you pass a rink with a game, and dampen transfer case shifter rattles.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
joeydurango

Thanks all.

Doubt this is a driveshaft/pinon/u-joint issue, but I'll check again. I suppose something could have failed suddenly in that realm, as opposed to wearing slowly. However, that still doesn't at all explain why the front driveshaft is occasionally turning when in 2HI, and I suspect that's where the real problem is.

Also not the normal transfer case vibration that you can sometimes hear/feel in the lever. Nice to know about choppers though, I'm from the southern midwest so haven't heard of them.

Again: The "smoking gun" here, to me, is that the front driveshaft now sometimes spins when in 2HI. What could cause this?
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
fun in dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
Thanks all.

Doubt this is a driveshaft/pinon/u-joint issue, but I'll check again. I suppose something could have failed suddenly in that realm, as opposed to wearing slowly. However, that still doesn't at all explain why the front driveshaft is occasionally turning when in 2HI, and I suspect that's where the real problem is.

Also not the normal transfer case vibration that you can sometimes hear/feel in the lever. Nice to know about choppers though, I'm from the southern midwest so haven't heard of them.

Again: The "smoking gun" here, to me, is that the front driveshaft now sometimes spins when in 2HI. What could cause this?
I realize this is an old thread but just wondering if you ever discovered what the issue was ... I'm having a very similar problem.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:53 PM   #8
burnin oil

Guessing worn shifter forks or nylon inserts. The shift forks move a big ring over the gear to engauge it. Any slop will allow it to gently brush the gear its supposes to engauge. Mine makes a rattle sound or sound almost like a brake shoe dragging.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #9
kwmech

No nylon inserts with a 205. But yeah I'd like to know what the outcome was
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote