The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
Accelo

USPS shipping times.

I recently sent a package to NewYork to one of the board members. I sent it on the 29 of September. It still has not arrived. Tracking number list no details except a tentative arrival date of November 5, and it's arriving late. Over one month travel time.

I also noticed the Post Office is going to start charging for detailed tracking.

Your item is eligible for USPS Tracking Plus™: Extended History. Purchase the extended tracking history for your item to be sent via email upon request. Choose the length of time you would like to extend access to this tracking history and select for purchase. You can only purchase extended history once, so all orders are final and are not eligible for a refund. Based on your tracking number, your regular tracking history is available only until January 27, 2022 without this purchase. You may purchase USPS Tracking Plus™ for only one tracking number at a time.

6 Months

$2.10

1 Year

$2.59

I am thankful my customer is patience and has been willing to wait.
Just a heads up on extended shipping times is my point.
Sending packages for Christmas? Better send it now. <LOL>
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
KW5413

Re: USPS shipping times.

USPS announced they will charge more for less service. But, they want your business.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
Getter-Done

They made changes in their service.

Link: https://about.usps.com/newsroom/stat...eriodicals.htm

(If you've noticed slower delivery times for your USPS first-class mail, that's by design.
The time for standard first-class US mail delivery has jumped from 1-3 days to 5 days in some cases.
The changes are part of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's 10-year plan to raise revenue at the USPS.)
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
Big Kev-O

All of the stuff I send using USPS First Class gets delivered just as fast as the more expensive Priority service. I sometimes wondered if Priority mail was ever made a priority over the first class. Maybe it's only actually prioritized when shipping demands are high and USPS is very busy. Intentionally slowing down first class packages would mean they would need to keep them in their possession longer. I wonder if USPS has the storage space to just keep packages sitting around. You would think the most cost effective way to process the mail would be to just keep it moving vs. sorting it out and purposely storing it.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I recently ordered arthritis meds for our old dog. It was picked up in Texas nearly 2 weeks ago, then inexplicably sent to Honolulu instead of N. California. Out of meds and still waiting....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
jimijam00

Somehow, this thread is about 67-72 Chevy Trucks. I just know it.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I recently ordered arthritis meds for our old dog. It was picked up in Texas nearly 2 weeks ago, then inexplicably sent to Honolulu instead of N. California. Out of meds and still waiting....
I sent a part to a board member about a year ago.
I made three different trips to Nashville.
Then finally headed to the destination.

Old 10-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I just sent a glove box door to a member using one of the USPS boxes and it got to him very quickly with zero problems.

So maybe its a crap shoot haha.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #9
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I just sent a glove box door to a member using one of the USPS boxes and it got to him very quickly with zero problems.

So maybe its a crap shoot haha.
Yeah I think so.
All the parts I have ordered from members here,
Have showed up quick.

Old 10-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
Im confused by this ... This is the general area of the board, pretty much anything goes as long as its family friendly and no politics or religion. Doesnt have to be about trucks.

Or maybe you meant something else?

Edit ... Now I see that this was a moved thread from the other side of the board. Carry on lol!

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291

Last edited by CG; 10-23-2021 at 03:56 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #11
zicc1835

Smile Re: USPS shipping times.

Quote:
X2 HaHa I been biting my lip on the flip flop .....
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #12
burnin oil

I have been noticing this trend down hill for over 20 years. When I was in Cali and sending mail east it was taking 2 weeks. Curiously mail the other direction took 3 days. Now the post office is a crap shoot on delivery time and actual delivery is the day after the out for delivery status. The FedEx to USPS is the worst. Thar adds 3-5 days after FedEx labels it as delivered(to the post office). I don't think that it's stored at a warehouse so much as sitting on an 18 wheeler somewhere. Look on the bright side though. Service will keep getting worse but rates will increase because of fuel costs
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:50 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I bought a set of flex plate bolts on e-Bay, they were located and shipped from Indiana. Made it as far as Des Moines, Iowa then went to Ohio, back to Indiana, then Illinois, then back to Des Moines. They finally made it here from Des Moines that time....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:15 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

It's a crap shoot. I still get things in normal timely fashion and an occasional straggler. Mail and parcel delivery quality has certainly turned worse.

For decades I had no issues with "every" package being delivered to my side door (along driveway) where there is an alcove to keep things dry and out of sight from the road. Now I have to look on the front porch. I put a sign across the top of the steps leading from the driveway to the front porch with an arrow pointing to the correct doorway that read "Deliveries". They still put things on the front porch. What they do is stop in front of the yard, not the driveway, and run up the hill across my yard to the porch. There was a time when people used sidewalks and driveways to walk and didn't cut across people's lawns.

I had a postman that worked as fast as he possibly could. He was hell on that mail truck. He would stuff packages into my mailbox that should have been taken to my door. So tight my fingers couldn't fit in to grab. He's gone because he hurt himself, probably due to his haste.

Now we have another crappy one. I had to return a jury duty summons with a deadline. He also runs the mail truck hard and fast. I swear, once in ear shot, it takes half as long to go/stop/go to my mailbox. I had 10 days to return the signed summons. Naturally that included two Sundays. I put it in the mailbox on Saturday and it didn't get picked up. I thought maybe I forgot to raise the flag and in his haste he just put my mail on top of it. But Monday I had the flag up for sure, he left it. Tuesday, same thing. Unbelievable! This is the job he was hired to do, deliver AND pickup mail! I took it directly to the post office to mail. That is messed up.

Posted when thread was in 67-72 message board:
Quote:
You must have missed where the OP related his USPS issue to his sending truck parts to a fellow member and that the purpose is to give the rest of us a heads up on shipping delays, I gathered, if we sell and ship truck parts to fellow members

Posted once thread was moved to General Discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
X2 HaHa I been biting my lip on the flip flop .....
This is General Discussion here

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-26-2021 at 10:07 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #15
Boog
laying low

Many of us have had bad experiences with the postal service through the years and it seems to be getting worse. There may be some postal workers members here and we don't mean to offend them but if the shoe fits...
I live in a population of about 25,000 just north of the capital about 50 miles. There is absolutely no reason it should take a standard letter 30 days to get here from there. It's happened more than once. On another occasion, a small soft mailer sent by 2 day mail took 10 days from Florida. 4 of those days it spent riding around in the wrong delivery jeep right here in town. I went to the PO and spoke to the head guy about it. He was of absolutely no help and even looked away as I was speaking to him. I wasn't yelling or cursing but I sure was mad and he appeared to be unfazed or concerned about it, like he was used to it and just ok with it.
I cancelled a magazine subscription this year since I was missing issues regularly. When I contacted them about it they showed some of them had been returned to them marked "undeliverable". That's crap. I've lived at the same address on a paved city street 30 years and mail box is easy to reach without even stepping out of the little jeep. How undeliverable is that?
Now the head USPS manager has this big plan to improve the postal service by slowing down deliveries, ordering new fleets of delivery vehicles (all electric I read), all the while rates will keep increasing.
We've all had issue with UPS and Fedex and damaged or missing packages too so what are we to do?
I'll go back to layin low now.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #16
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Many of us have had bad experiences with the postal service through the years and it seems to be getting worse. There may be some postal workers members here and we don't mean to offend them but if the shoe fits...
I live in a population of about 25,000 just north of the capital about 50 miles. There is absolutely no reason it should take a standard letter 30 days to get here from there. It's happened more than once. On another occasion, a small soft mailer sent by 2 day mail took 10 days from Florida. 4 of those days it spent riding around in the wrong delivery jeep right here in town. I went to the PO and spoke to the head guy about it. He was of absolutely no help and even looked away as I was speaking to him. I wasn't yelling or cursing but I sure was mad and he appeared to be unfazed or concerned about it, like he was used to it and just ok with it.
I cancelled a magazine subscription this year since I was missing issues regularly. When I contacted them about it they showed some of them had been returned to them marked "undeliverable". That's crap. I've lived at the same address on a paved city street 30 years and mail box is easy to reach without even stepping out of the little jeep. How undeliverable is that?
Now the head USPS manager has this big plan to improve the postal service by slowing down deliveries, ordering new fleets of delivery vehicles (all electric I read), all the while rates will keep increasing.
We've all had issue with UPS and Fedex and damaged or missing packages too so what are we to do?
I'll go back to layin low now.
Our Maillady is the Best.
She will bring my wifes stuff in the house for her.
Her weekend subsitute Is not so great.
He will leave stuff at the post office Saturday,
For her to deliver
Monday

Old 10-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #17
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

My biggest problem with USPS at the moment is that my packages arrive all beat up. And I mean REALLY beat up. One envelope I received had a tire track on it, and another had a footprint on it.

I had 3 packages returned to sender as "undeliverable' when you can walk right up to my front door. I had to pay shipping twice to get them resent.

My daughter sent me a Birthday present. She sent it two weeks before my birthday. I got it a month after my Birthday.

I complained to the Postmaster about the undeliverable packages. They never offered to pay me for the double shipping and that's about the same time that my packages showed up all smashed. Coincidence???

I bought my wife a really expensive Rolex watch and cringed when I saw it was being delivered by USPS. Thankfully it made it without damage.

USPS needs a new motto "Nobody cares'.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #18
Boog
laying low

[USPS needs a new motto "Nobody cares'.]

^^^^^ ain't that the truth.

People make or break the business or organization. I'm just sayin.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

They certainly don't follow the old motto. "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds". Actually, mine probably completes his round. He just runs the mail over, leaves it in the mailbox, bends my flag when he does take it, leaves door open a lot, drives over grass no other mailman ran over in 30 years, stuffs boxes in the mailbox, AND... never looks so we can wave or give each other a nod. I guess tipping the mailman at Christmas time is a thing of the past, too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:39 AM   #20
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

There's one good thing I have to say about FedEx.

It gets dark at my place. Country dark. And this FedEx guy comes running up my driveway at about 8:15 at night with a package. He gives it to me and runs back to his truck and sped off. All this while my German Shepherd is going berserk, ready to attack.

I thought. "Now that is a hard working guy'. They still exist.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #21
KW5413

Doesn't matter much less their overall package shipping cost may be...if you can't count on the delivery time....generally, you can't.

The Queen sends an embarrassing amount of Amazon and Etsy packages to my shop. If the vendor ships USPS we never know when it will arrive. In addition, They will drop it at the front door...even on weekends. A parcel was stolen from the shop door just 2 weeks ago, due to a Sunday delivery... Our shipping instruction clearly state "No weekends and only between 8:00 A.M & 4:00 P.M. during the week"
Old 10-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #22
LT7A

It's painful to see this mindset. It honestly looks like choosing to not pursue success. They should be the most effective since they have the biggest delivery infrastructure. If they were effective, they would be cutting into their competitions' share of the market, by just simply doing what they do - well. Instead they are opting to become less effective in order to manage their costs...

Last edited by LT7A; 10-25-2021 at 04:04 PM.
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:28 AM   #23
MJN

It must just be luck of the draw. Everything I've shipped via USPS seems to arrive a day early or on time. The same goes for items I've ordered, a day early or right on time. We have an excellent post office and our rural carrier is awesome too that goes above and beyond for us. There is the occasional day late item but usually something happens where we have a substitute rural carrier. My only complaint is the price of shipping has gone up.
UPS has been good, normal delivery times but FedEx seems to delay packages in the Chicago area quite a bit, sometimes for days.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #24
KW5413

I know Amazon and USPS business models are 180 Degrees apart but, as an FYI, My oldest grandson sprained his ankle playing soccer. Played thru two games. The swelling was bad enough that my daughter took him to the doc and was advised to put him in a boot. She ordered one from Amazon at 4:00 and it was delivered at 7:45. Less than 4 hours later.

That's pretty damned good service.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #25
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW5413 View Post
She ordered one from Amazon at 4:00 and it was delivered at 7:45. Less than 4 hours later.
Had to chuckle at this. The meds I ordered from Amazon 2 weeks ago got sidetracked to Honolulu and still have not arrived. Sent via USPS.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote