The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
dhpenner

Paint Ideas!

Well im gearing up to get the body work on the cab of my truck done soon and i need to decide on a paint scheme. I was thinking about solid black like the First picture below, but i wanted to know if you all had some thoughts on the matter. My truck is a 1972 Chevy Shortbox with a 2002 Corvette LS1 in it. I dont have any good pictures of it right now. Any pictures or ideas are greatly appreciated. Attached are some pictures of Schemes I've considered going with.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

dhpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

Re: Paint Ideas!

I got a 1000 pics on my photobucket in my sig

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
jondancer

man i really like that all black one
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Black needs some bling....however it gets there. Whether it is the wheels or trim or something like flames or scallops, you gotta have some. That's why my truck will be flamed. Good luck on your project. Hope it doesn't get into paint/body limbo land. This Carter Hickman Designs pic of a Blazer is my inspiration, but not my blueprint.
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 10-10-2010 at 11:30 AM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
tonypaul

I just finished painting my truck this past weekend, two tone- blk/silver (just like my avatar). It was my first two tone paint job, and it was hell....Most of my paint jobs have been on drag cars and not high end looking paint.

My truck was really rough to begin with, not a straight panel anywhere. I just got to a point were I was running out of time to get paint on. My business is starting to ramp up again and I didnt want to be painting in the winter. So I didnt get to spend the time that I really should have on the body work, I have a couple small spots that Im going to have to redo in the future.

I got a brand new high dollar gun to replace my cheapo that I have used for years and it had problems from the get go with the new gun.... Long story short- my advice= stay away from black unless your truck is perfectly straight, or you have super mad body skills. Two tones are nice but they do require alot more time, and if your planning on butting up your paint seams into trim its alittle less stressfull. But if your not using molding your lines need to be perfect! I did everything myself and ended up spending almost $1800.00 on everything related to paint, so I feel pretty good about that. Im just so glad to be past the sanding and body work and finally putting it all back together....
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

All Black, that truck looks cool, happy to see I'm not the only one runnin a F@!D as a daily driver, hahaha
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
dhpenner

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. I think i have decided to go with the two tone Blue and Pewter. I had my autobody guy over to my place to have a look at the truck and give me his opinion and quote. Im going to have a Metallic Blue on top with maybe a little darker Pewter than the picture above in the middle and roof. I've also decided to shave my firewall, not to some over the top extreme, just to get rid of the heater core assembly, any excess holes and the spot welds. I'll keep you posted as to how its going. I really should start a build thread.

Thanks again
Attached Images

dhpenner is offline   Reply With Quote