The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
gag1025

Window Wipe Question

I have decided to use the stock windows on my 1953 Chevy truck with the side vent windows. My question concerns the felt wipes. The inside felt wipes have staples included. My question is can I use the black weatherstrip adhesive I used to attach the rubber door seals instead of the staples. I have two outside felt strips as well. I also have two rubber strips that are to be used as wipers that attach to the outside portion of the door and act as a wiper when the window is rolled up. I am assuming that I have to use one or the other and not both because both of them will not fit at the same time. Am I correct on this or am I missing the boat?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:16 AM   #2
gag1025

Re: Window Wipe Question

I tried to edit the above message but time ran out before I was allowed to do so. Therefore I will post the edited message above. I found out that the felt seal is for the inside of the window and the rubber wiper is for the outside of the window to keep water out. I also read where a guy said that he used #4 x 1/2" SS screws instead of the staples. He also said that he would have used smaller SS screws if he had been able to find them. My guess is that they do not make #2 SS screws. He also said that the screw head pulled down into the rubber beneath the felt and it was not visible and that the screws would be easier to remove than the staples if he had to change the felt peice out at some point in time. I do not think the staples would do a very good job of attaching the felt bead strip to the inner door window molding. Any of you who have done this please advise. There may be negatives against using the black rubber adhesive like having to change the felt bead out and messing up the paint when removing the old one. For some reason I bought two sets of the felt bead strips and one came with regular sharp end staples and the other came with thicker non sharp end staples which were not as long as the sharp end staples. I did not know if they wanted me to put these in my staple gun and shoot them through the metal.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
chev3600

I guess there are plenty of different ways to attach the strip. I used the factory style staples. I used an awl to locate the original staple holes, then put a small bead of weatherstrip adhesive on the back of the strip. Push the staples in, fold them over and on to the next project.

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/AD%20trucks/jumbled mess of unorganized photos
chev3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
Highsider

OT: if you join (pay $25/year) edit time won't be an issue.
...and you will be supporting a great board.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
nvrdone

I used black rtv to glue my felt strips to the window frame. Fast & doesn't show. Has held up for many years. Just use clothes pins or some type of clamp to hold the strip in place until the glue drys
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
gag1025

nvrdone did you also use the staples? Actually if you spread a thin coat on both surfaces and allow it to dry until it is tacky, mate the felt strip to the metal surface and press down along its surface (the same procedure used for mounting weatherstripping around the doors) there will be no need to clamp it down.

Last edited by gag1025; 10-22-2014 at 10:32 AM.
gag1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
msaintg

Those staples were a real pain, so I just used pop rivets to hold mine on. worked great.
Attached Images

msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
nvrdone

No on the staples. Just glue
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
gag1025

I found this article in one of the classic car and truck magazines. It detailed how to replace all the parts of a door for a 1953 Chevy truck. I may go this route. I may also try to find some #2 sheet metal screws.

Last step is the felt strip with the chrome bead on it that attaches to the bottom of the inside window molding. These press against the window and prevent rattling. My kit came with a carbide drill bit for drilling holes in the molding for the provided staples -- you push the staples through and crimp them on the other side -- but I've heard it's hard to crimp the staples and get a tight fit; that screws are better. So I went to Home Depot and bought some #4 3/8-inch sheet-metal screws (3/16-inch would've been better, but the smallest they had was 3/8). Using the pre-existing holes that were already in the felt strips (and one I drilled myself, at the end of the curved tip), I laid the felt strip in place on the window molding and drilled holes into the molding using a 3/32-inch drill bit. When I screwed all down tight, the screw heads got buried in the felt - you can't even tell they're there! Lastly, I cut the ends of the screws off with my Dremel -- they looked like they were sticking through the other side too far. Another reason I used screws instead of the staples is, I plan on covering my inside window moldings with vinyl and will have to remove (and replace) these felt strips when I do that project -- staples would've been a pain in the neck.