The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2023, 11:52 PM   #76
forestb

Re: Brake vacuum

So I got my hydro boost all plumbed and installed today with no leaks YAY.
I started the truck up and tried bleeding the system by turning the wheel back and forth and pumping on the brakes. The pump is making a humming noise and the steering is squeaking like crazy when I go lock to lock and when I push on the brake pedal. I am hoping that I have just not bled it enough. I was told that I don’t need to leak any fluid when I bleed it. That the pressure should escape from the spring load pump cap. Also the steering and brakes are a little shuddery especially when I am using both the steering and the brakes at the same time. I have no tried driving it anywhere yet.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:39 AM   #77
kens65fb

Re: Brake vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
So I measured my vacuum at 1000 rpm and the gauge read 16.
I had a 57 Ford with a healthy 351ci, with a performance camshaft., which gave it a choppy idle. It made 12 inches of vacuum at idle at best.

The power brakes worked fine with only 1 or 2 pumps, but dropped off quickly after that, which concerned me.

I ordered a cheap vacuum reserve canister from Jegs, for $35.00, after a quick and easy 15 minute install, I now had the same brakes, but they were more effective.

I was more than happy enough with the result.

In the pic you can see the black reserve tank which is just in front of the master cylinder.
Attached Images

kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote