The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Chevrolado

77 Chevy K10 Silverado Build

Well, first thread, first build, first real true project vehicle for me.. I've always modified, repaired and played with my daily drivers through my younger years, but never had a project vehicle like this that could afford to truly be "built" on the sidelines.

So, long story short, this truck was passed through a few family friends and stuff and ended up parked in my father in laws shop space and sitting for a "someday" project. Couple years later after using it occasionally, he finally said nevermind and I swooped on it. So we know no history on it aside from it having a crate 350 installed sometime before my father in law got it (no idea the mileage) and a B&M transmission went in then too. Every time I open something new or get behind some panel or something, I'm always in for a "Ooh, that's interesting" kind of moment. hah.

First day I got it, started it up and drove it around the shop area to see how it felt/ran/stopped/went/turned/etc..

Not too bad for a truck that’s been sitting for a while! Needs help, but it’s doable.

Got new headlights, (found a couple bulbs that weren’t working), fixed a couple lights that were almost just falling out, tightened everything up.

Got a new air cleaner to fix the rusted, beatup, dirty as all get-out, cleaner that was on it.

When I was getting the headlights and stuff changed out, the rusty grill and everything was causing me problems, so I updated that a little.

Took out the bed bar setup that was just sitting in the back (not actually established there – I guess it was a tester trial piece for a while). Went through the interior to take inventory of what’s good, what needs fixing.. Tightened up all the missing screws, fixed broken tabs, re-routed incorrect switches (the electric window switch unlocked the doors, the door locking switch rolled up and down the windows.. hah).

Then during one of my running the motor to check operational devices… this ‘rigged’ fuel hose setup split open and started spraying fuel everywhere.

So now I’m currently fixing the fuel line/fuel pump setup.

Next up, I have the parts in a box and ready for a cooling system refresh. Upper and lower radiator hoses, heater core hoses, new thermostat, new outlet, new coolant, all that jazz.

Thanks for looking.. Any encouraging words, tips, advice, do’s/don’t’s, “you‘re never going to make it”'s or general kudos are greatly appreciated. Hah. This will probably be a fairly slow and thorough build as I need this thing to be able to go on longer distance camping trips. So I want to do this all correctly from the get-go.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Chevrolado

Re: 77 Chevy K10 Silverado Build

As for a new update here, got some time to get out to the truck this weekend. It was raining on Friday though, so I only got about 20 minutes into working on it when all of a sudden it started pouring on me. Rain?!? In Southern CA?!? What is this nonsense?

So I was able to get the new stock hardline fuel line in to place to replace the rubber rigged setup the PO had that bust on me:

Then, at one point from getting in and out of the truck I realized.. so, I'm 6'4 and can easily step up from the ground into the truck.. But most my other friends, my wife, basically anyone else, has trouble being that I have no steps or handles to grab onto..

So I setup a little rig on the metal molding around the headliner. I made sure everything was thoroughly mounted into the metal of the body and should hold relative decent weight as someone is climbing on up into it (or hanging on for dear life along some hectic trails..)

So next up now... While putting in the fuel line, the ground to the alternator was completely rusted on and ended up completely busting as I attempted to unbolt it all to get into the fuel line area.. So while I had the alternator completely disassembled, I found that one of the contacts on the inside was frayed and mostly separated. So I need to either replace that, or just get a whole new alternator (which might be the easiest and most cost effective option - it needs to be done anyway).
Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
JRANGER

looks like it will be a nice build
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Chevrolado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
looks like it will be a nice build
Thank you, thank you. I'm hoping it will be.. Just need to figure out how I can devote more time to it. hah. Its VERY slow going so far.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
MTCK

Cool truck, I like the browns.
Posted via Mobile Device

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Chevrolado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
Cool truck, I like the browns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks!
I have been contemplating repainting something different eventually.. but maybe it's just growing on me now. I'm starting to like it more and more.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Subscribed.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Chevrolado

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5mgisi View Post
Subscribed.
Thank you, thank you.. It will be a slow build.. but a build nonetheless!!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolado View Post
Thank you, thank you.. It will be a slow build.. but a build nonetheless!!
Hey buddy! Good to see you here! This is a much better place to add a build thread. Expo is nice too, especially if you are building a Land Rover or Yota Land Cruiser…our old American iron, not so much.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Chevrolado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Hey buddy! Good to see you here! This is a much better place to add a build thread. Expo is nice too, especially if you are building a Land Rover or Yota Land Cruiser…our old American iron, not so much.
Thanks for the direction over to here. I fought it at first because this one looked more like a C10, lowered, classic, cruiser kind of truck site.. but I'm seeing more and more of the Offroading setups as well. But yes, its generally nice to just see everything for our older style trucks though. I agree.

-------------------------------------------

No real updates for this weekend.. I got locked out of the shop. I bought a new, one wire, 100 amp, black alternator to replace my busted one and then went to the shop to install it and realized that the bolts to install it were inSIDE the shop, and I was outside the shop sitting at my truck.. Needless to say, couldnt mount it. So the alternator is just sitting in the cab along with a box full of cooling parts (new radiator hoses, heater hoses, thermostat, etc) and some miscellaneous door parts that need to be installed (new hinge pins, new corner window glass seals, new door strikers..)

Snapped some random pics as I was sittin there though as it has since rained a few times, so I got a free couple washes! hah.

The new fuel line will treat me much better than the rubber setup the PO had on it.. This would shouldnt dangerously spray fuel everywhere whilst running:

Its not CLEAN by any means.. but no longer so dirty.. hah.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
splehigh

Nice truck!
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
Chevrolado

Quote:
Originally Posted by splehigh View Post
Nice truck!
Hey thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
Car'n'Guitars

Cool build I look forward to seeing more, can I ask what you used to shape your fuel line?
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Chevrolado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'n'Guitars View Post
Cool build I look forward to seeing more, can I ask what you used to shape your fuel line?
Thanks!
The fuel line was ordered pre-bent, stock replacement, hardline for the 77 Chevy truck from LMC, it showed up maybe 90% "fit" so I had to slightly "persuade" it to fit 100% as it was getting tightened in to place. Worked out great though. And I definitely feel MUCH better about it than the rubber nonsense that was built on the thing beforehand.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
RANDY COX

Kool Truck looks like it already has a lift and tires,tilt and all the goodies,you know the saying THERE'S SUMTHIN BOUT A TRUCK.....
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
cdm10700

just wondering did they put the oil dipstick on the passenger side of a 350
cdm10700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
A-B Slinger

My 1980 K10 has a Chevrolet 350 replacement motor. Dipstick is on the passenger side. Wished I could tell you what year it was replaced.
Posted via Mobile Device
A-B Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Zane M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm10700 View Post
just wondering did they put the oil dipstick on the passenger side of a 350
My 78 has the dipstick on the drivers side. I'm not sure what year it changed from the factory to the passenger side, but a lot of our old trucks had engine replacements that had passenger side sticks.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
cdm10700

ok just wondering the motor that was in my truck had dipstick on passenger side an was told it had a 350 in it but all 305's i seen it was on that side an 350's were on drivers side thanks for info
cdm10700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Chevrolado

Back in the 70's they had it on the drivers side. Everything that I'm discovering about my truck is that the motor is actually an 87+ motor. It's a crate motor that the previous owner installed. Me thinks it's this one:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...31165/10002/-1

But I haven't really gotten all the way into the motor yet to pull any identifying markings to verify my theory. But everything so far is pointing towards this..
Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #21
Chevrolado

Stopped by the truck today to install the new alternator. Still has a broken wire though, so I need to strip and redo the wiring to the new alternator, but it's now bolted up anyway!

100A krinkle black 1-wire:

So after that was accomplished.. I pulled out the little creeper from the shop and I took my first pass through the UNDERside of my truck.. Let's have a look-see..

First I found where the two gas tanks feed into one switch box.. It looked fresh. My father in law must have re-done this in the recent years

Then I noticed all the leakage that he had mentioned to me on the transfer case.. so I decided to get some before snaps of how it sits before I end up pulling the thing to have it rebuilt with new seals.

So I was basically "taking inventory" of current situation.. Now I'll know where to move forward.

Underside of the bed and the rear suspension:

And just to finish off the little update.. I shot a quick pic of the current dual Flowmasters running out the back.. Mm.. Im a fan.

That's all for today folks.. Comments, questions, advice, all is encouraged.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #22
77K10Silverado

Any updates? Cool truck!
77K10Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #23
Chevrolado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77K10Silverado View Post
Any updates? Cool truck!
Thanks for the kind words. Looks like my edit of my Flickr account has killed on my pics of it though. And I think the posts are too old for me to edit now. Bummer..
I guess I can just catch up to current pics. I pretty much haven't done anything to the thing. Its just been sitting.
I got a 95 Tahoe that I motor swapped and built into a project over a year or two.. then sold it. Now I'm back to pick up where I left off on the 77.

My goal is to figure out what emissions parts I need to add to this crate motor to be able to transfer it over to CA ownership and make it legal to drive on the roads here where I live. It's currently an Arizona vehicle with no SMOG legality. Any helpful information or links anyone can provide to direct my research would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #24
77K10Silverado

Lets see the RPO sheet!!

77 K10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6752641
77K10Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #25
Chevrolado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77K10Silverado View Post
Lets see the RPO sheet!!