The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #101
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Re: Its Gone!!! hit by a DUI

Wow! Scared me at first I thought it was Longhornman, but it still totally sucks! All i can think is how? How could you let that bozo leave alive!! J/K, seriously, it seems like you've got a great case for negligence gainst the city cops, bar, etc. Really don't think to highly of ins. companies now....
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #102
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

thats why i said you need to have nightmares and all suddenly you dont feel safe in your house psycological trauma as a result of the accident . the compensation will more than cover the car/trucks I suggest this only cause the bar tender, cops and the DUI driver were lets just say stuipid and negligent and should pay dearly for their stupidity

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #103
1bad chevy

glad no one was hurt well alll but the truck's DO NOT LET THE INSURANCE COMPANY LOW BALL YA GO FOR IT ALL THE BURB WAS NEAR MINT AND THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT IN RETURN
Old 12-01-2007, 07:29 AM   #104
JHART
1972 Shorty Owner

Location: Stationed in Cali , born and raised in PHX Arizona.

Maybe you can use the news station to help. Maybe tell them how the insurance company is giving you the run around etc ... get it visable. When a lawyer sees that i bet they come running to represent you.

I hope things work out for you man.

First and formost thank god none of your family was hurt.

PLEASE let me know what happens with USAA cuz i too use them for both my trucks and i am littled worried about what your going through.

I may need to look into other INS companies.

-Hart
Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #105
jfalesi

The insurance industry has sold itself to the Devil, and I don't mean the ones that play hockey in New Jersey.

That said, I've had good luck so far. A woman hit my Burb in the parking lot a few months back and her insurance company covered the entire cost. I got an estimate from my body shop and their adjuster matched it, and they sent me a check. The only damage was a scrape on the bumper and a dent in the quarter panel about the size of the credit card that I used the money to pay down. I also got lucky (no, not like that) with the guy who hit my Integra a couple weeks ago. He wants to pay cash, which surprised me because the damage was estimated at about $1200. I guess he doesn't want his premium going up.
jfalesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #106
mvpco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHART View Post
Maybe you can use the news station to help. Maybe tell them how the insurance company is giving you the run around etc ... get it visable. When a lawyer sees that i bet they come running to represent you.

I hope things work out for you man.

First and formost thank god none of your family was hurt.

PLEASE let me know what happens with USAA cuz i too use them for both my trucks and i am littled worried about what your going through.

I may need to look into other INS companies.

-Hart
Things I have learned so far with INS.:
make sure you have collision coverage
Make sure you have UIM PROPERTY DAMAGE coverage
Make sure you have towing coverage
Make sure you have Rental coverage
AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FULL REPLACEMENT OR AGREED VALUE COVERAGE!

The Uninsured Motorist coverage is only if YOU GET HURT!
LAWYERS only will help if YOU GET HURT

on your home owners INS,:
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE REPLACEMENT COVERAGE on stuff like: Fence, sheds,

Remember you will have to pay the $5oo deductables right off the bat first, (Homeowners and Auto, etc)
so have about $2000 setting in a savings account some where that you can get to quick!!!

sooo, if you wake up in the early morning to a crash in your yard:
make sure you get hurt running out to see what the hell happened......DOH!

The 1st questions the INS. & Lawyers ask when you call for help is: Was anybody hurt???

Now I know why.

Last edited by mvpco; 12-02-2007 at 12:49 PM.
mvpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #107
robin58

One thing I'd definitely do mvpco is keep in touch with the DA in charge of whatever charges they are going to throw at the driver. I'd think you'd be well within your rights to ask to speak at his sentencing and I would hope a judge would exercise some common sense and make restitution a part of the sentence. You may not get much out of it, but at least it would go some way towards making things right for you.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #108
mvpco

WOW! another news story

mvpco@yahoo.com would like you to see this video:

http://www.nbc15online.com/mediacent...ticleID=241237

Personal Message:
WOW!!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #109
jrb71c20

Damn...I'm sorry about the Suburban and glad no one was hurt. I just watched that video you posted and I wanna help rough him up...Idiot

If it don't have round headlights and a carb, I don't trust it!
jrb71c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #110
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Jeff, talk to the midia, if they are still interested in the case... or... a lawyer or maybe the hwy patrol... find out if there was a dash cam in the cruiser that cited the driver before. If there was a dash cam, then there is probably audio. Most citys and many smaller towns have added this to protect themselves. It can work in your favor if you can get your hands on the video. If this kid was twice the legal limit... then it should be obviouse in his speach.
Also, just out of curiosity, none of these video clips have said anything about the gun. Are you aloud to pack in Florida? Did he have the proper permits?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #111
robin58

Pretty sure this is still the current law:

Quote:
790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
If that's the case, then I'd think he was in violation.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #112
smithjm

Bummer!!!!I too am in Pensacola(Pace) and saw it on the news the other morning.What are you gonna do now?Too early to tell?About a year ago I went to a house off Chumuckla Hwy in Florida town to look @ a mower and the guy had a Surburban sitting there he tried to sell me.It was too far gone to restore but who knows-the right qtr. panel may be salvageable.I can't remember.No doubt that was your baby...Let me know if youre intrested.You can call me @ work if so...850-549-2615(Mike Smith)
Sorry smithjm you can not ask for parts with out being a subscriber. I do appreciate you offering to help mpvco in getting stuff to fix his burb.
Sorry to edit your post.
oldiron
forum staff

Last edited by oldiron; 12-02-2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Looking for parts without subscribing
smithjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #113
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

If they haven't taken the Burb yet - DO NOT LET THEM and don't let them push you on it. If it is in your yard, it is not collecting any storage and isn't incurring any extra costs for them. you should be able to work a deal with the insurance company where you can keep the salvage and get the cash - might cost you a "salvage value" which shouldn't be that much on the burb as the people who are buying from "CoPart" aren't looking for vehicles of that generation. If it comes to it you can file for a "formal appraisal" in which an independant appraiser values the vehicle - his word is final, but if you're burb was super nice then it shouldn't be a problem. Just because it wasn't insured for "agreed value" doesn't mean that they will only give you the "book value"

It might also help to threaten to file a complaint with the insurance commisioner of FL. http://www.floir.com/

I assume that liability insurance is required in FL - if the ins. was cancelled in Sept, why wasn't his reg. pulled, and why didn't the first cop know this?

( I work in claims for an insurance company, so I have a little experience with this stuff - I'm an APD appraiser "Auto Property Damage")

If you have any specific question, feel free to PM me
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered

Last edited by arkracing; 12-02-2007 at 09:02 PM.
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #114
55dude

big bummer dude!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #115
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjm View Post
Bummer!!!!I too am in Pensacola(Pace) and saw it on the news the other morning.What are you gonna do now?Too early to tell?About a year ago I went to a house off Chumuckla Hwy in Florida town to look @ a mower and the guy had a Surburban sitting there he tried to sell me.It was too far gone to restore but who knows-the right qtr. panel may be salvageable.I can't remember.No doubt that was your baby...Let me know if youre intrested.You can call me @ work if so...850-549-2615(Mike Smith)
Sorry smithjm you can not ask for parts with out being a subscriber. I do appreciate you offering to help mpvco in getting stuff to fix his burb.
Sorry to edit your post.
oldiron
forum staff
I think the quarter panel is just the start! (unfortunatly)
Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #116
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

Sorry about your burb. Man, it was nice! I have "agreed" coverage on my '67. I increase it about $2000 each year (as I put more stuff on or in it!).

67CHEVY SWB,355, built 700r, 5/7,9",posi 3.50,REAR BAGS,HOOSIERS, A/C.
54CHEVY - BURB, beginning construction(well, i gotta take it apart first!)
36FORD PU - WAITING
38CHEVY - 2DR SD,CHASSIS FINISHED
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #117
pcmcobra

ya, you can pack in florida, but you better have a permit!

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #118
Longhorn Man

Any update in this? Or is it all on hold till monday? (bankers hrs)
Old 12-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #119
mvpco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Any update in this? Or is it all on hold till monday? (bankers hrs)

so far nothing, I will keep calling the INS tomorrow, I keep getting their answering system.

If I keep the Burb, I might consider finding a C20 Longhorn with A/C & Auto of course and just swap parts. Is this a doable option???? or should I just find a good 72 Burb rolling chassis/body and swap parts.

So far the 3 doors, hatch, wheels, axle, motor, trans, dash area, seats are all usable.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #120
Longhorn Man

sheet metal wise, all that would swap to a truck is the fenders, hood, grill and bumpers. The doors would work, but there'd be cutting and welding involved.
Engine tranny front suspention would all swap onto a longhorn (would be converting to 1/2 ton if you did that) but the rear is leaf on all longhorns and I'll assume your burb is coil.
PM headed your way.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #121
Chevy454

Quote:
WOW! thats what is going on with me now, It is amazing what INS companys get away with. You think your covered...BUT YOUR NOT!
The ballbuster of the deal was that at the scene, both drivers told the actual events, as stated on the accident report...but, when their insurance companies called them to interview them, they changed their stories...I got a call from the insurance company, they say that they are closing the case and I'm responsible for fixing my trailer because "their driver was in control of his vehicle"...huh? This guy ran off the road, jumped a 6ft deep ditch, ran *through* a concrete wall/culvert, and then landed *in* our trailer...yet he maintained control of his vehicle? Suuuure he did...
Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #122
bigbluechevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
I see a crew cab project
Just what I was thinking.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #123
mvpco

UPDATE 12/3/07 3pm I spoke with the LT. from the PD and WOW!!!! They admitted the mistake and have suspended the officer for 3 weeks without pay. The board had recommended removal. the PD was able to keep him because of the Academy spoke highly of him and he being a newly sworn in officer(few months ago). The PD is sending a message to the others about this action and hopes it will be heeded. WOW!! I am glad he did not lose his job(in a way...) I know, I know, I am a whimp, but I put myself in his shoes and I would be greatful for a second chance. I hope this will make him focus about his career and 20 years from now make him say wow! I almost blew it.(sappy I know, but its Christmas).

well next step is to meet with the Risk Mgt. dept for the City and get all paid for. (I am not holding my breath, so my outlook might change from what I stated above......

I met another board member(greasemonkey) in the Grocery store parking lot, and MAN what a spotless 69 Chevy, bright orange. his daily driver. WOW! I can only dream. HeartRob would have been impressed(I think)

THANKS!!!!!!!

Last edited by mvpco; 12-05-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #124
Longhorn Man

Dude, this is great news. The department has all but admited fault, and suspending the officer 100% implies it.
Have you figured a $$ amount you need to replace/recreate that burb?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #125
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

talk is cheap get something in writing from the LT he can deny he said it this way when the law dept of your city refuses to subrogate your claim, and they claim they never said they would pay your damages you have a leg to stand on.. think of it as a police report of your accident by the police

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote