The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
cheyenne10

ideas on how to treat floorboards

I am looking for an idea on how to treat blazer/truck floor boards under carpet. I would like to see pics (emialed or posted). I would like to treat small amount of rust and keep it from returning when carpet reinstalled. Our trucks are famous for leaking small amounts and then carpet holds it agains floorboards. Its hard to keep floors entirely dry in wet months.

Thoughts already

POR15 and then topcoat
Line-x adn topcoat
Prime and paint
or ?

thanks in advance for ideas.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:51 PM   #2
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

I used Herculiner- (you can get it at Shucks) It was only about $49 to do the whole floorboard and bed. I am sure it can't rust from under it, so it should hold up great. I can't post a pic, but it is on my lblazer progress pic link below.
Diane

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:06 PM   #3
earl87gta

Im useing a spray in bed liner called durabak the reason Im using them is they have colors that match my blazer. Thier web site is durabakliner.com They will send you samples if you call and ask for them. It looks like some tuff stuff Im spraying the hole under side and the interior floors of the blazer with it.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I would use just the por-15. No need for a topcoat other then for cosmetic reasons.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #5
Cethern
What was I thinking??

Well it's hard to say really Durabak and Herculiner will work great Durabak being the better of the two, It runs about 100% a gallon and as Earl said it does come in colors, I have used it in the past and I like how it works. I know of some ppl taht have used Herculiner and they like it, I find it a little thin for me but it's easy to find.
POR15 is very neat stuff as well I haven't used it. It may come down to how your going to use your ride if your going for the restored look go for POR15.
If you want some more noise barrier try the Durabak or the Herculiner.

Cethern
Old 01-11-2004, 01:30 PM   #6
cheyenne10

POR 15

Anyone have some good pictures? Does surface rust on floors go quickly throught floor pan? I hope to avoid sheet metal R/R
Old 01-20-2004, 03:07 PM   #7
mastercraftkpk

While you may not want to hear this....... Take a look under the floor. My '72 started w/ just small floor rust, but when I peeked underneath, I found my A pillar and floor support as good as gone. It was a PIA to fix, but better to do it now rather than later and mo doors close much better now.

The POR-15 is a great product to use UNDERNEATH the spray in bedliner if you are unable to physically remove all of the rust. I chose to POR-15 the areas that I was worried most about (POR-15 isn't cheap), then coated the whole floor w/ Duraliner.

mastercraftkpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
Radiatta_71

I painted my floor with por-15 and plan to use a bedliner product like herculiner over the por-15 still trying to find out if I should use their primer over the por before the liner goes on.

In my opinion carpet just holds in moisture and I would never use carpet in a blazer espicially if it will be wheeled in the mud and snow. I think they leaked even when they were new.

I'm sure a dry climate would be a different story.
Radiatta_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 03:30 PM   #9
714x4lover

DRY FLOORS

WELL BOYS IM IN ARIZONA , ONE OF THE DRIEST PLACES IN THE COUNTRY, AND MY DRIVER FLOOR AND KICK PANEL ON THE DRIVER SIDE BOTTOM FLOOR IS PRETTY DERN RUSTY, WHEN I GOT THE TRUCK 12 YEARS AGO THE KICK PANEL WAS ALREADY RUSTED THROUGH AND THE FLOOR HAD LIGHT RUST ON THE FLOOR PAN BUT NOW THE FLOOR PAN IS REALLY RUSTY AND STARTING TO GO THROUGH LIKE I LIVE IN THE SALT COUNTRY. I ALSO HAVE A LEAK SOMEWHERE BEHIND THE DASH BOARD. ANYONE KNOW WHERE THESE LEAKS COME FROM SO I CAN FIX IT.
714x4lover is offline   Reply With Quote