The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
Noah96

The one without a garage

Long time follower, 2nd build. First was a 1969 GMC "Burr", now I sold it to pick up this. A 1968 C10 LWB originally from TX/LA. P.O. bought and brought it north to WV this past fall and now I've got my 2nd project truck. The block is a mid-late 70s 350 backed by a sm465? Haven't knocked mud and grease off to inspect, rear-end not sure either still need to find the stamps on the axle tube. Its also a 6 lug truck. Truck has minimal body rusty still has OG rockers and cab corners, so I'm going to focus on the mechanical end of things. I'm going to be focusing with the issues on hand.
  • Engine coolant Leak
  • Disc swap the front end
  • Door window rubber/felts
  • Rear Wheel Cylinders

So, I forgot to mention I'm working out of a storage unit no power anything should be a fun ride
P.S. I know people will be asking for a SPID pic, its toasted bad(faded/heat/water damage) going to have to take a day to remove and decipher.
Attached Images

Noah96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
Noah96

Re: The one without a garage

So as stated above I got a little list to go thru. 1st is the engine leak from what I could see it was coming down the drivers side and the rear of the block. Was able to fix the drivers side issue after jacking up the block and removing the motor mount. Which I done all with my 3/8 socket set, these trucks were made to work on by the average joe. I'm a shade tree mechanic at best more of a parts changer but I'm learning. Now I still have one leak hoping its not the rear freeze plugs, luckily its the intake. The PO told me he had done a 4bbl intake swap. So I'm digging around and find a leak on the back side of the intake. This leads to a whole Saturday morning pulling the top of the engine and putting new gaskets and gasket maker down to hopefully solve my problem. Then re-assembly which I had my trusty 1969 shop manual to reference (best investment for working on these trucks). Here's some pics below of the tear down and repair.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #3
Noah96

Now onto the brakes, wanted to do a disc swap on my 1st one but thought I would be in over my head so I skipped it. This time I just pulled the trigger and bought the parts and figured I would just go head first. Pulled the tires and drums down to the spindles on both sides in half a day, then began the real work the original rivets. Bought a cold chisel set hopping to use a hammer to bust them off, ended up buying and returning a cordless grinder over the course of a weekend. Took a whole full 8 hour day to get both upper ball joints out after grinding the heads off and punching the rest of the rivets through the control arm. Then rented a ball joint press from the parts store to remove the lowers and reinstall the new hardware. The tear down of the brakes has been by far the longest part of this build. I say it took a full 8 hr day but that was spread out over weekends and evenings after work and grad school. Once the new hardware was installed that was a great sigh of relief for me. I cleaned up the control arms some before putting the new hardware in for those wandering. After I got everything pressed in it was quick work compared to the teardown. Spent some time on youtube and the forum reading how to do things.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
Noah96

I also want to say that anyone worried/scared, just go for it. Parts stores have an abundance or rental tools and you'd be surprised at what can be done with a 3/8 socket set, a sledge, pry bar, harbor freight 1/2" breaker bar with a 1/2" set of HF sockets also. A dedicated work space and patience will be needed though but any help come to this forum and get a shop manual to reference. Back to the build though, so I've been working on the truck for about a month now and feel like I've made good progress so far. Here recently I've slowed down, running and re flaring brake line has been frustrating to say the least.
Its coming along though slowly but surely, I bought a manual master for disc/drum set up installed and then got my proportioning valve from summit and its almost completed!! I have to flare one more tube and I'll have my brake saga over with, except the rear wheel cylinders which wont be too bad. Done both on my previous truck not too hard. Then I'll wrangle my GF into bleeding brakes one afternoon, might have to entice her with some Chickflia
Thats all I've got for now hopefully the next updates wont be a month out and I'll try to keep things updated on the weekly basis.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2021, 11:30 AM   #5
68Gold/white

Job well done!!!
Putting front disc on ANY 79 and earlier pickup is the best first thing to do!!!
I have 67 and 68 LWB C-10's both are getting front manual disc brakes, mine will be 5 lug.
When you get it back on the road, you can degrease the engine to diagnose the leaks. THe engine may have to come out eventuallly to repair them all...

The width of the pad, forward of the pass side head will tell the story of what era your block is from. If the pad is about 3-1/2 inches wide, it is an early block, approximately 76 and earlier. If the pad is about 1-1/2 inches wide it is a later block. I prefer the older blocks, they have more metal in them...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
Noah96

Well time for a update, got the brakes all finished up. Started the truck, which was a win.....I thought. Noticed the rad sucked down 1/2 the coolant but no leak on the floor, tore off both heads no crack or no bad head gasket. Plugged of the water jacket and filled the rad and then had water pouring straight out of the oil drain plug
So guess I'm jumping a year forward and doing a LS swap gonna mate it to my SM465.
  • Remove old turd
  • Clean the engine bay up
  • Drop LS in
I've ordered some mounting plates have a line on a complete 4.8 out of a wrecked truck, next thing I'm going to order is the LS to SM465 parts. Biggest hurdle will be finding a buddy with a engine hoist to pull the old block. Feel free to drop any threads on a step by step LS swaps. Appreciate any help, feedback
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
Low Elco

Ewww, milkshake. Good luck on the swap. Once you jump, it ain't hard.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
Noah96

Yea my same thoughts haha and the thought of doing something big is the worse part. Plans as of now are a carb ls for simplicity and I believe that will be the best route for me. Plus I’m trynna get this thing done sooner than later, but supposed to get a engine hoist tomorrow from a buddy so more updates to come.