The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
DKSpringer

Rear Brake Line Installation Help

Hey all. Looking for a little rookie help here. Found a drip in the steel lines, as well as some evidence of previous owner "tweaking"..... So I bought a set of pre-bent lines for the rear circuit from Inline Tube.

For anyone who has done this before, how did you install the line from the proportioning valve back along the frame rail? Looking at the obstacles I have to go around, I'm not sure how I'm going to get in there without significantly un-bending my pre-bent lines, which kind of defeats the purpose. Any tips? Do you snake it in from the front, underneath the radiator? Straighten the line and poke it forward inside the C-channel?

Truck is a 1977 K20, but I would think all of the 2WD trucks would have a similar challenge, although with maybe a little better access.

Help Please!
DKSpringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Rear Brake Line Installation Help

You have to pull the whole drive train out and remove cross members to gain access.

just kidding------you may still have to remove a few things to fish it through and there may be some minor bending of the new line. Just don't kink the line though
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
kwmech

Last one I got from them came in a large box with the line bent into a horseshoe for shipping purposes. I had a huge advantage though. The engine was already out of the blazer
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #4
DKSpringer

Well, in case it helps anyone else, I basically decided to straighten the line, so that the section that runs under the radiator from the passenger frame rail to the proportioning valve was more or less straight in line with the section that runs along the frame rail. Then fished it from the rear over the transfer case cross member, behind the engine mounts, past the fuel lines, and more or less bent it back into shape as it came through. Still feel like there has to be a better way. Having all the fuel line clamps loose so that they can "make room" for their new buddy Mr. Brakeline helped.

If you go this route, make sure you have really solid endcaps on the new line. No way an unprotected flare would survive the pushing and dragging that went on. Crossing my fingers for no leaks, and a properly functioning set of grabbers on the rear end.
Posted via Mobile Device
DKSpringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i was able to straighten the line and fish it through it was a bit of a job maneuvering it but it went through ok.. but the worst case scenario is to drop the gas tank if its in the way

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote