The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
MONTEZ

Pistons or heads?

As some of you already know, I have a 6.0l/4l80e that is going into my 85. I am getting ready to tear the engine apart (hopefully next week) and go thru it and do some mods while I'm in there.

The plan is to tear it all the way down and have the block dipped in a vat and repaint it. Also while it is apart, I will be changing the 24x reluctor on the crank out with a 58x reluctor so that I can retrofit the engine with VVT. I will then bring the deck height down a few thousandths to make sure it's slick.

I am stuck on whether to invest the money in a set of l92/ls3 heads. The heads will give me about an extra 40-50hp. Or I can stay with my 317 heads and shave them down a few thousands and put a set of forged flat top pistons in and gain about the same amount of power for about 1/3 of the cost of replacing the heads.

I am leaning toward replacing the pistons and having the option to change the heads later.

Either way I am looking to make 500-550hp at the flywheel.