The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

4x4 convert to 2wd

Sorry guys, but I can't find that thread on converting a 4x4 to a 2wd. Tried the search option with no luck. Can anyone link it for me? My 4spd and t/c have decided to go south and I can't afford to fix them right now, but I remember a thread on here a while back that talked about throwing a 2wd auto transmission in and it would bolt right up without even having to modify the driveshaft. Can anyone help me find that thread. My mechanic tells me its impossible to put a 2wd auto trans in my 4wd burb without serious mods to the driveshaft and I'm hoping to prove him wrong. Thanks for your help guys and gals.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
82swampthing

Re: 4x4 convert to 2wd

just get another 4spd and transfer case from the bone yard you will save your self alot of time and money. your mechanics right by the way, automatic transmissions have a splined shaft coming out the back which requires a splined yoke to go with it on the end of the drive shaft. where as with your suburban im guessing you have sm465 4spd / np205 tc , the 205 tc has a out put yoke that accepts a universal joint from the end of the slip yoke on your drive shaft.The only other way around this is if you got the driveshaft and the transmission crossmember from a 2wd suburban with a automatic , if really want an automatic.but even then the drive shaft might not be long enough because 4x4 sit alot higher and it won't reach. hope this helps
Old 01-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
benoit454
Chris

ok I'm confused every driveshaft I ever seen had splines in it and was a yoke/slip yoke on the end and u joint on the back end. My 88 has a splined slip yoke or whatever on the front of it to go into my t-case. I don't see why a 2wd with a 2wd DS wouldn't work the 4x4 shaft is alot shorter because of the t-case and 2wd would be longer, I don't think being 4x4 it be too tall for it dunno though. If all else fails or you are worried if you have a short bed and reg cab get an ext cab DS or long bed 2wd one to go with the 2wd trans. You'd probably need the 2wd crossmember as well so I'd get it and then you can drill the frame to bolt it in. So yea I don't think it's a throw in and go job, but have to change modify some things.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

This one?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=168231

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"