The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
firefighter736

Odd heating issue

Hey guys, it's me again. I spend a lot of time asking questions here on this subforum, haha. I've finally got my timing/carb issues taken care of and am moving on to other issues.

The problem I'm having is that temp sensor isn't going above 140* on the backside of the engine. The temp sensor for the e-fan (which I have in one of the front holes) goes to 180* easily and kicks on my fan.

I have Vortec heads and have the bypass hooked up but I was thinking maybe I don't have it hooked up correctly. Here is a picture:

A) E-Fan Temp Sensor. Reads 180* with laser temp gun
B) Gauge Temp Sensor. Reads 140* with laser temp gun and on gauge
C) Front Vortec bypass hooked up from my water pump. I installed this per intake manifold instructions

I have checked my thermostat on the stove and it works correctly. I also have the bypass hole blocked on the front block (small lower hole on passenger side water pump galley).

As always thanks for your help!

1966 Chevy C10 Pics

Rust to Riding - Pictures of my build
firefighter736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Odd heating issue

I am gen I, but put my temp sensor in the A spot. The Painless controls are on 185/off165. I run a 160 stat, & she holds her line, with 2- 14" fans.....never over 175-180 on the hyway, never over 190 in town traffic.? Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Shyguy

It seems I learn something new every time I go on this site. I have always put the the gauge temperature sensor in the driver's side head and a fan sensor in the passenger side head. My newest truck is a '92 and that is where they were put in when it was built new.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Gumby

I always put the temp in the thermostat housing on the cold side, so if the temp doesn't rise, you know the thermostat is stuck closed.........
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
It seems I learn something new every time I go on this site. I have always put the the gauge temperature sensor in the driver's side head and a fan sensor in the passenger side head. My newest truck is a '92 and that is where they were put in when it was built new.
Thta's where they should be on these old rigs too. Came that way from the factory.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote