The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
rou
I can see the finish line!

Question Advice on hiring Body Shop guy

I have a ton of body work left on my project and am looking for some help. A friend of mine referred a body man who's employer is closing his shop. I have seen one Cadillac he did that came out very nicely.

Here is my question: I am looking for some advice on how to structure a deal with him to get this done on a part time basis. I have the cab and the right side done to primer and need the left side and bed prepped and then the whole thing painted. He can do the job in my barn as I have the room, air and tools. I am looking for this to be a driver, not a show truck. This will take place in New Jersey if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to create a fair deal for both of us is appreciated.

Here is my build thread. I have not kept the thread up to date, but it is still very active. Thanks, Rou
rou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
theastronaut

Re: Advice on hiring Body Shop guy

Get him to keep a running log of what he does and how long it takes. Stick around to make sure he's actually working the time he says he is.

Don't pay him up front! Pay him by the hour, and catch up every 20 hours or so since it's going to be part time. If either of you becomes unhappy with the deal, you haven't paid him up front and neither of you are in too deep if things go south.

Let him get a quote for materials and only give him enough to cover what he needs as he needs it. This way you're not shelling out a ton of money for materials at one time, and he isn't taking off with a ton of your money that you might not ever see again.

Don't ask how I know...
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
rou
I can see the finish line!

Re: Advice on hiring Body Shop guy

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the 20 hour idea and I acutally have a commercial account with the supplier, so I can get the materials. I'll let you know how it goes.
rou is offline   Reply With Quote