The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #51
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: 3/4 ton back half build

I'm sure many here are like me;
we keep up with many builds here, but may not post in the thread.

Please don't let our silence discourage you.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #52
McMurphy

Hello there Chopped!
You stopped updating your thread before I joined. What has taken you over a year to do, took me 10 minutes to read.

Some of these guys builds have been 4+ years in the making and takes a fraction of that time to read, but the wealth of information is immeasurable.

If for no other reason, please update and show the pics!!
So many builds and so few that are complete the threads on them. I guess they are too busy out driving their rigs to post on them any more

Anyways, to see a rig built around the wheels and tires I think is a first for me. Usually you know it is either the engine, slamming, original resto, or the body that is the main focus.

Would love to see how yours turned out!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #53
chopped65

I'm trying to post pics but according to the site, I am missing a "security token" and it will not allow me to upload pictures. I have contacted the admin. but have not heard what to do yet. I am trying so be patient
Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #54
LostMy65

^Have you tried uploading to photobucket or tinypic and use their img link for forums?

You use IMG code to insert the pic - see right side of the pic I just inserted:

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #55
chopped65

uploaded one at a time and it worked. I will do my best to narrate 11 months after the work being done, please let me know of any additional questions you may have. also if you want more pictures, let me know of specifics
first picture is the bracing I did for the rear frame rails maited to the new crossmember.
second picture has the bottom bag mount that had to be made off center, when centered they hit the notch
next building of the bridge. the straight tubing has a metal plate with a hole in it around it that is welded to the notch on the inside. I used a flat piece of metal that was cut and trimmed to match the inner plate with the hole. this will come up later in pics.
this was another piece built by porterbuilt that needed some modification b/c it was made to cut to fit. the rear tube, the bent tube and the upper bag mounts took several magnets, levels and extra hands to get lined up to weld.
the PB in the picture is the Porterbuilt logo and was unsure whether to use it or not but I welded the two pieces of tubing together in that spot and it made for a perfect cover plate, and I don't mind advertising for great work.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #56
chopped65

different views of the bridge plate. under the differential is a bent piece of tubing that also came with a straight piece. the one thing missing from Porterbuilt's kits are pictures, illustrations or instructions. I found out the bent piece was the lower shock bar that I will show later and the straight was the upper shock bar.
the third picture you can see the end cap for the rear bar on the bridge. I thought about welding a piece of sheet metal to fill the two plates but thought it would look weird so left open which exposed all welds.
you can see how the bent tubing of the bridge just barely clears the differential. I learned just how massive the dana 60 full floater really was. IT'S HUGE!!
then I began on the shock mounts, beginning with the upper. so I received a straight piece of tubing but of course nothing clears the huge differential so it needed some bending. thanks to my harbor freight special, I got it fit nicely. theres about 1/2" when bottomed out of clearance around the diff.
next I started working on how the shocks would mount and the angles to figure out the lower bar.
now that I am done with everything, I have several changes and one includes the shocks. the ones I received do not have enough travel. they are bottomed out when my suspension is bottomed out but if I air the bags up, the shocks are my limiters of how high I can go because the shocks are not long enough. One day I'll fix this. I'll explain the bags issue later, if i forget, ask
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #57
E911manager

Great work. I want to see more!!! That is the only way to do a 8 lug. Your gonna look sweet from the rear. I mean that in a manly way!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #58
chopped65

more angles of the bridge.

don't be mad................................................................................................. .................................................................................................... .........................................................my pictures stop. apparently I did stop taking pictures of the build. I can get pictures of any specifics that you'd like though.
I'll post some of the bed being done and it complete.

so i made a pretty sharp V similiar to the logo for the Velocity Channel to create the lower shock mount. the lower shock mount is actually welded to the four link brackets themselves. mounted the shocks after getting missing shock mounts.
drilled and tapped the inside of the notch and screwed in the polyurethane bump stops which were thicker than I ordered but these might work. When the front gets done I'll see how low the rear actually sits and if I can go down another 1/8".
you can see in the last pictures the shocks installed and the panhard bar on. I'm still not completely satisfied with the axle mount of the panhard bar. for the fram part I just got a piece of square tubing with a hole in it, made an angle cut to allow the bar to sit at an angle and welded it up. for the axle, I used axle tabs and welded them to a piece of rectangle tubing with a hole in it to finish the mount. It is by all means strong, but not the sharpest piece of the build.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #59
chopped65

no explanation necessary, not much room under that bed.

I do wonder when the front goes down if the rear will come up a little, not sure I'll find out. then I will have to make a few changes to get it lower, which was the original plan but parts are keeping me from that.
1. the bumpstops are thicker then I originally planned for
2. the bags- I said I would explain this. wrong size. they do not flatten out low enough, the plastic base to the bag is WAY too thick. there was no other modifying to make these bags I received work to go lower. I will need to order new bags when I have time and $$$$ again.

Will post more pictures and comments tomorrow
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #60
LostMy65

Thank You, Thank You, for taking the time to give us an update and upload pics.
It's looking fantastic!

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #61
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopped65 View Post
no explanation necessary, not much room under that bed.

I do wonder when the front goes down if the rear will come up a little, not sure I'll find out. then I will have to make a few changes to get it lower, which was the original plan but parts are keeping me from that.
1. the bumpstops are thicker then I originally planned for
2. the bags- I said I would explain this. wrong size. they do not flatten out low enough, the plastic base to the bag is WAY too thick. there was no other modifying to make these bags I received work to go lower. I will need to order new bags when I have time and $$$$ again.

Will post more pictures and comments tomorrow
ARE YOU SERIOUS???!!!
You think if the rear goes up a little when you bring the front down that you need to lowwer it more??!!
O...K...
I sure don't get the low, bagged and draggin frame crowd but that dude is low enough in my opinion but... it's your truck so it's your opinion that counts.
I just can't see what you are going to do with 650HP on that suspension but time will tell. The build is cool as a penguin at the south pole dude. Don't get me wrong. I may not be into trucks that low but the build is pretty f$%king cool!
I changed from 8 lug to 5 because of rim cost but sure wish I would have stayed with the 8 lug.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #62
66-PMD-GMC

Of all the builds that I have watched over the years on this forum, this is the build that I most wanted to see finish.

Are you on hold? Sold it? Finished?

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #63
Jeff La

Great job, keep the pics coming.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #64
chopped65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
Of all the builds that I have watched over the years on this forum, this is the build that I most wanted to see finish.

Are you on hold? Sold it? Finished?

I've been on hold. Since i started this part of the project I started a new career, moved across the country, got married, bought a house, and had a kid. So life's been quite busy. But I have been starting to acquire parts and saving to finish the truck. I picked up a t-56 6 speed not too long ago and a center frame kit from art Morrison. I plan to order the rest of the porterbuilt parts in next couple months. I told the wife that one of two things are happening by the end of the year: I'll have a completed chassis painted and all or the truck is being sold.

Thanks for bringing this build back up I'll make sure I post when I start up again in next few months.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #65
66-PMD-GMC

This build inspired me to do an 8 lugger too...
This should be pretty close to how mine should look when I'm done. .
Attached Images

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #66
chopped65

That's pretty awesome never seen a dually done that way with a fleetside bed and stepside fenders attached. Look forward to seeing yours done
Old 01-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #67
chopped65

To all those that followed in the past, I have been dormant for quite some time. Moving, family, work, and money have kept me from continuing the project.

Good news coming. I have purchased complete Porterbuilt dropmember, art morrison k member, new rear axles, and a t-56. I've been collecting parts for quite some time and will be getting started in next couple of weeks hoping to have a completed chassis this year. My goals are low, it's been a 14 year project so no need to rush now. Plan to finish everything welding drop member in, completely boxing frame with all crossmembers, and suspension smoothed and ready for paint. Then once that is complete will start on additional body modifications and body work. In addition to chassis work being done, I am cutting 12" out of the frame and 12" out of the bed in front of the wheel well. Plans are to make it a medium bed. With the top chopped and laying on the ground, it's just a little too long. Hope to post up pictures as I go and progress. Thanks to everyone who has sent me messages over the last couple years pushing me to get back at it and all the other builds on here that have inspired me to get my a** back in the garage.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #68
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
To all those that followed in the past, I have been dormant for quite some time. Moving, family, work, and money have kept me from continuing the project.

Good news coming. I have purchased complete Porterbuilt dropmember, art morrison k member, new rear axles, and a t-56. I've been collecting parts for quite some time and will be getting started in next couple of weeks hoping to have a completed chassis this year. My goals are low, it's been a 14 year project so no need to rush now. Plan to finish everything welding drop member in, completely boxing frame with all crossmembers, and suspension smoothed and ready for paint. Then once that is complete will start on additional body modifications and body work. In addition to chassis work being done, I am cutting 12" out of the frame and 12" out of the bed in front of the wheel well. Plans are to make it a medium bed. With the top chopped and laying on the ground, it's just a little too long. Hope to post up pictures as I go and progress. Thanks to everyone who has sent me messages over the last couple years pushing me to get back at it and all the other builds on here that have inspired me to get my a** back in the garage.
Great news ..

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 02-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #69
chopped65

Got started,

Bed is off. Cab, complete front end and engine are off. Front cross member and steering are off.

Next is cutting frame in half....again. This time to cut a foot out of middle. Before welding back together hope to send for sand blasting and coat of epoxy. Will start unpacking my piles of boxes of parts and assembling the porterbuild dropmember. Think I need to rename this build thread, don't have a name
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 PM   #70
chopped65

more pictures
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #71
chopped65

More pictures
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2016, 01:40 AM   #72
60chevyjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
This build inspired me to do an 8 lugger too...
This should be pretty close to how mine should look when I'm done. .
the white duallie reminds me of dinos duallie
60chevyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #73
66-PMD-GMC

Personally, I like the thread name.
Not sure why you want to make it a short bed..
But it's your truck...
I'm just glad to see you haven't thrown in the towel. .

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 02-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #74
chopped65

Not going short bed, going medium. Don't like how short the bed is behind the wheel well on short beds but don't like how long the longs are up front. Also helps eliminate all the warpage around the saddle bag gas tank doors. This truck had 3 gas tracks when I bought it way back in 2002
Old 02-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #75
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Not going short bed, going medium. Don't like how short the bed is behind the wheel well on short beds but don't like how long the longs are up front. Also helps eliminate all the warpage around the saddle bag gas tank doors. This truck had 3 gas tracks when I bought it way back in 2002
No worries. . It's all good.
Just wondering.
Once I got my truck into the low 10s/high 9s I wished I had the length on the top end. . The longer wheel base seems like it might be more stable. . I'm changing back to 4 link from trailing arms.. I'm thinking that going trailing arm was a mistake.
Still love that build of yours.. got my 8 lugger out there still too..

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac