The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Rear-End Rebuild ????'s

I know that this is gonna have to wait until I am home. However, I would like to go ahead and study now. I have never rebuilt a rear-end. But, I want to do the wrench work myself. This is the only piece of the drivetrain I have never rebuilt. I want to change the gearing to 4:11 positive traction. I am not sure right now what gearing is in the rear, but the rear end came out of a 72 Chevy C-10. Does anyone have any how to videos on this topic? Or know some good literature I can download off the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
BB72CHEVKT

Re: Rear-End Rebuild ????'s

I think most are going to tell you to take it to a reputable shop. It is not something for a novice to try.

Last edited by BB72CHEVKT; 12-28-2010 at 03:44 PM.
BB72CHEVKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
tex_waco_usmc

I know most people believe that this is not for the novice to try, and I fully understand that...I dont consider myself a novice at turning wrenches. I would much rather attempt to do it myself first. If all else fails then I will pay someone to do it...
Old 12-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
HavinSomeFun
Still Just Havin Some Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex_waco_usmc View Post
I know most people believe that this is not for the novice to try, and I fully understand that...I dont consider myself a novice at turning wrenches. I would much rather attempt to do it myself first. If all else fails then I will pay someone to do it...
Good for you. Its really not that hard to do. Keep searching the net and you will find tons of info on this. I used to be scared to death of it. However, I had a neighbor show me the ins and outs and its really easy stuff.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
cdowns

factory service manual has a list of tools required and an excellent step by step procedure with a list of the critical tolerances needed
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
1970 CST STEP

Quote:
I personally feel like you do, and am mechanically inclined as well, BUT, if you add the cost of tools that you will need, your time, etc. to do yours alone, i would disagree, use your time to finish other things that need done and leave that to the people who do it every day! just took mine in today for a posi and 4.10 gears!!
1972 SWB FLEET ORIGINAL
1970 CST STEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Yup, pay a pro...Not only is this a very precision thing that requires special tools and a ton of patience, it is just not worth the trouble for a job you will only ever need to do once. Plus, when you pay a pro, you get a warranty.....and that has value of it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
nightmare

exactly what 1970 CST STEP and Longhair said. I'm not a novice when it comes to rebuilding things either, but I know my limitations. I also just dropped my truck off today to have some 3.73's put in at a shop up here in Wisconsin. I'm always nervous about leaving my vehicle with a repair shop for any type of work, but a reputable shop should not fail you.

Besides, if I had planned on rebuilding rear ends for a living, or more than the one or two that I plan on, then I wouldn't have minded purchasing the tools to do this myself. But since I only plan on doing this possibly one other time, I can't justify purchasing the proper tools for it.

It would have been $200 for the ring and pinion, $100 minimum for the install kit, and another $200 minimum for the proper tools. $500 minimum for a new ring and pinion with no warranty was not a smart idea for me. It's gonna cost about $750 or so for them to purchase and install the 3.73's and I have a warranty, so for the additional money, I think it's worth it.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it. There is lots of information on the net about rebuilding rear ends.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
tex_waco_usmc

...The thing is I do plan on building more than one in my lifetime if I knew how. I hate the thought of paying someone else multiple times to do something that I can do. You have to remember I own 7 vehicles. 3 of which are going to get restored and all three will need new gearing. As well as my 1 ton which needs 3.73's versus the 4.56 gears that it currently has(top highway speed of 75)...This is the reason I asked if anyone knew of a good write up on the little details. I have taken them apart before but this time I am on my own.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
Mxracer202

Quote:
How else are we suppose to learn if we just have sone one else turn the wrenches for us, right? if all else fails get the instructions! lol

Ive also never even tried to mess a rear end, but the time is coming and im gonna try to do as much as I can my self.

TROUBLE MAKER RACING

"If you can't stand BEHIND our troops, please stand in FRONT of them."
Mxracer202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
cdowns

only real down side of doing it yerself
if you screw it up you get to throw out $800 worth of new stuff and buy it again to try it one more time
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
ebry710

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavinSomeFun View Post
Good for you. Its really not that hard to do. Keep searching the net and you will find tons of info on this. I used to be scared to death of it. However, I had a neighbor show me the ins and outs and its really easy stuff.
Right on. Have some fun from HavinSomeFun

If your like me, the benefits of buying my 71 is that I don't have to always have another person working on my truck. I'll buy the special tools and if I blow it, so what. My truck, my problem. My problem, I'll resolve it on my own terms.

But what I like at 67-72chevytrucks.com is that most of us can just get the tricks to do it right. I have not yet tried to tackle the rear end, I am just on the th350 fluid changing stage. That HP TH350 book recommended on another thread is awesome.

Is there a book on rebuilding rear-ends?

"Torque Is Controlled Power"
ebry710 is offline   Reply With Quote